PDA

View Full Version : A day at Tan Son Nhut

Boz330
02-15-2012, 06:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=103kHGjdy9w

02-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks, man. I was at Phan Rang Air Base, south of Cam Rahn Bay, June '68-June '69. Compared to Tan Son Nhut, Phan Rang was a backwater village.

condorjohn
02-15-2012, 09:55 PM
I was a Lodmaster on C-141's, April '66 to Jan '69. Went in and out of there many,many times...
Thanks for the memory...

Condor John

stubshaft
02-15-2012, 10:55 PM
My dad was a communication engineer that wired up Ton Son Nhut in '68.

Rick N Bama
02-16-2012, 08:52 AM
My dad was a communication engineer that wired up Ton Son Nhut in '68.

Who did your Dad work for? I was in the Comm SQ at TSN Oct 1, '67 - Oct 1, '68. I also spent a TDY trip at Phan Rang cutting over from a cord board to a dial system.

Rick

beagle
02-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Good film clips but it left out the heat, humidity and the smell. Never will forget that when they popped the door on the 141 when I got there./beagle

Rick N Bama
02-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Good film clips but it left out the heat, humidity and the smell. Never will forget that when they popped the door on the 141 when I got there./beagle

Ain't that the truth! It was at 3:00AM for me on a World Airways 707. The 1st thing I saw as I got off the plane was an SP Jeep with a mounted M-60 & an Airman eating C-Ration crackers & cheese. Right then I wondered what this old country boy had gotten himself into:)

Rick

1Shirt
02-16-2012, 11:07 AM
As usual, Beagle got it right! Will always remember the smells, not so much of Tan Son Nhut, but of Phu Cat, Danang, Quinyan, Phan Rang etc. Tan Son Nhut was where the Brass was!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

montana_charlie
02-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Air Traffic Controllers handled more flights per hour than JFK, or any other major airport.
But, on Tan Son Nhut, a flight could be a200-passenger airliner or a single seat Cessna, and might consist of a single FAC going on patrol, or a formation of fast movers with a load of 'shake-n-bake'.

Civilian Air Traffic Control weenies talk about how rough they have it. They even want to be allowed to take naps during their six-hour shifts that already include an hour and a half of break time.

They have no idea ...

I spent hours on that flightline repairing radio gear, but most often it was to catch a chopper ride to Black Virgin Mountain.

CM

Rick N Bama
02-16-2012, 03:15 PM
During Tet of '68 the ATC guys with the 1876th Comm SQ found themselves serving as forward air controllers calling in air strikes, etc on our own perimeter. If memory serves me right, a couple of the guys received Bronze Stars for their actions.

I was at Phan Rang when Tet started, but they quickly got us back to TSN. One of the guys I worked with there was been killed in the 1st rocket attack the night Tet began. A 122MM rocket had landed right beside the wall of our barracks & the explosion killed him instantly. I didn't sleep in the barracks for 2 months or so after I saw the damage. At the time the AF thought that concrete sidewalks & palm trees were more important than a barracks protected somewhat by a wall of sandbags. Our days shortly after we returned consisted of 12 or more hours of work, then 3 or 4 hours of filling sandbags to provide a bit of protection. We also dug some slit trenches covered with PSP & sandbags to serve as bunkers. After I moved back into the barracks I had the pleasure of spending some quality time in the bunker during rocket & motar attacks. My only "wound" during the war came from a fellow that ran over me on our way to the bunker:) Don't know that I ever forgave him for that[smilie=l:

Rick

Tom-ADC
02-16-2012, 06:41 PM
I was at Da Nang 70-71 used to stop at Tan Son Nhut every once and a while dropping off pax or picking up "BUFFE's" those were made out of porcelain.

stubshaft
02-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Who did your Dad work for? I was in the Comm SQ at TSN Oct 1, '67 - Oct 1, '68. I also spent a TDY trip at Phan Rang cutting over from a cord board to a dial system.

Rick

He was working for Kentron Electronics.

Rick N Bama
02-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Kentron...based out of Hawaii, right? I worked some with a few of their guys who taught me a lot about phone work.

Rick

stubshaft
02-17-2012, 12:15 AM
Yup that be them.

beagle
02-17-2012, 06:26 PM
That first trip to Tan San Nhut was a rip. Me and one other guy on a C-141 load of radio vans. Then to Camp Alpha, next morning to Long Binh, a week later to Nha Trang, a week later to Pleiku and several days later by chopper to Ban Me Thout. Took me 30 days from the day I left Ft Dix until I got to Ban Me Thuot. A week there and then to Kontum and Dakto for about 6 months off and on. Who says the Army don't give you an opportunity to travel? And I was originally suppose to go to the 25th Division in Hawaii./beagle

02-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Beagle,
Ah, yes, the fragrance of the local air did take one's breath away. Got used to it and the temperatures, but never the constantly damp bedding and boots.

472x1B/A
02-18-2012, 12:37 AM
I know you guys will want to fling monkey poo at me, but it wasn't all fun and rose's in Thailand. Was at U-Tapao '73-'74, heavy equip. refueling & fire trucks. POL was pumping a million gallons of JP-4 a day outa there. Lots and lots of Buffs and KC-135's. You could smell buring JP-4 even during a typhon/monsoon. PACAF had a 60 hour work week then. Had alot of good memories from there.

P S One thing we did for quiting time entertainment, was to take a plate of JP-7 (maybe a half inch deep) and take turns putting out cigarettes in it befor it lit. I was able to do it 9 times one evening. Cigs were cheap then.

02-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Used JP-4, drained from a port under the F-100's wing, as Zippo fuel.

Memory wants to say that a carton of Camel's cost $1.25 -- four cartons per month per ration card.

montana_charlie
02-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Remember what nuoc mam smelled like ... ?
It was in every dish that locals cooked, and served as the backdrop to whatever other odors were in the air.

When I open a bottle of nuoc mam (and I do have one) 'Vietnam' rises from neck.

CM

cajun shooter
02-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Beagle, You would not have been with the 4th ID by chance as you posted Dakto and Ft Dix? The Ivy leaf division boys.

Rick N Bama
02-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Remember what nuoc mam smelled like ... ?
It was in every dish that locals cooked, and served as the backdrop to whatever other odors were in the air.

When I open a bottle of nuoc mam (and I do have one) 'Vietnam' rises from neck.

CM

We had a bottle in our kitchen for years that I could never bear to open. It was finally tossed out when my wife said to use it or lose it:)

Rick .