PDA

View Full Version : Melting wheel weights

45pro
02-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Would a 10,000BTU coleman camping gas grill that uses those green propane tanks work for melting my wheel weights?

trixter
02-15-2012, 05:10 PM
A long time ago when I got started, I used my 10# Lee pot for melting wheel weights and for casting, because that is all I had, now I use it to do wheel weights into Lyman ingots and cast with my RCBS 20# pot. You gotta do what you gotta do. Try it you might like it. I would think that it would eat up a lot of propane. my $.02 worth.

sabrecross03
02-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Yes it will work but it will take a long time.............................................. .................................................. ..............................

Jal5
02-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Look on craigslist in your area for a turkey fryer set up for propane. I found one barely used with turkey fryer pots plus the stand and burner for $20 not too long ago. The aluminum pots aren't for melting WW but the stand and burner are perfect. Joe

sharpshooter81
02-15-2012, 06:04 PM
45 pro.....I just got into casting myself and thats what I am using.....a coleman stove....it works fine and only takes 10 mins or so to melt a cast fry pan full of wheel weights.....once it heats up good the first time it gets quicker the more you melt!! I melted sixteen 2.5 lb ingots in about three hours and still had alot of fuel left to do more.....give er' bud, it'll work fine!!

45pro
02-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks guys I went ahead and picked one up. Now I need to find a source for wheel weights....

sharpshooter81
02-15-2012, 06:29 PM
i went to local tire shops here in Novs Scotia and they were more than happy to give the wheel weights away.....i got three 5 gallon buckets full for free and they even carried them to the car for me lol.....I also made my own ingot mould from 2" channel iron and it works great

45pro
02-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Can I use a old cooking pot to melt them in? My wife wants to get new pots and pans anyhow

sharpshooter81
02-15-2012, 06:37 PM
no aluminium pots, i wouldnt use anything that is or appears to be "coated"...like chromed pots and pans......after heating I figure the chrome will peel and come off possibly contaminating the lead.....I used a cast iron fry pan for melting the weights into ingots, then i have a small stainless steel pot to use for actual casting....I use seperate pots for each operation

John Boy
02-15-2012, 06:44 PM
An old cast iron pot and this torch is all you need ... http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-three-burners-91899.html

SlowSmokeN
02-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Would a 10,000BTU coleman camping gas grill that uses those green propane tanks work for melting my wheel weights?

I used a little Coleman camping stoves with a little green bottle today to melt down range lead. It worked great.

Wolfer
02-15-2012, 08:06 PM
I've used a Coleman camp stove ( the kind you put white gas in ) for more years than I know.
Anymore I only use it to smelt wheel weights and range scrap and do most of my casting out of my lee bottom pour. Before I got it I ladle poured everything from an old cast iron pot on the Coleman.

I suppose I'm showing my age by calling it ( white gas )

imashooter2
02-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Yeah, it will work up to about a two quart pot before the wait to melt gets unbearable. The cost of the gas cylinders will make you cry though... The liquid fuel stoves are more economical.

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-15-2012, 10:31 PM
I use a Coleman 2 burner propane stove to cast on out of a Lee 10 pound pot. It works perfectly.
Spend the time to round up a 20 pound bottle and get a bulk hose, it's WAY cheaper than the 1 pound disposables

Anthony333
02-16-2012, 07:29 AM
I have been using my Coleman Shellite ( dual fuel ) stove to smelt ingots.. its a bit slow but it works.. i definately need a turkey fryer though, and being in Australia..well, i cant seem to find anyone who sells this kind of high pressure fryer ! Any ideas ?

lbaize3
02-16-2012, 10:32 AM
I use a two burner Coleman propane stove to cast from. I use a 3 quart cast iron sauce pan to cast from. But to smelt the wheel weights I use a turkey fryer burner and a big cast iron dutch oven. By the way, those little green propane bottles do not last long enough for me, so I have my Coleman hooked up to a big propane bottle. That prevents the propane from running out at an inopportune time.

mold maker
02-16-2012, 12:57 PM
During the first 39 years I totaled 2 Coleman (gasoline) stoves with too much weight and heat. Both were well used and only a few bucks. I suspect they produced over a ton of ingots and bullets.
As I acquired a larger supply, I added a turkey frier and 6qt cast iron pot. I'll never shoot all the ingots I have or the boolits I've cast, but they sure trade good for powder and primers.
Poor folks get by with what they can afford. Many of the rest of us are just thrifty. Either way, what ever you use, don't move or handle pots, of melted lead. Pot handles weren't intended for that kind of weight, and liquid lead doesn't balance like water.

geargnasher
02-16-2012, 01:13 PM
All you need is enough heat, safety gear, an iron, steel, or stainless-steel pot, windbreak, ingot moulds, ladle, sawdust, and wheel weights! Dog pee and tobacco spit often found on wheel weights makes good flux and the sawdust makes even better flux. I would say a minimum 30K BTU to melt more than 25 lbs at a time would be necessary. You can get by with less and do smaller batches if you have the stuff on hand, but if you're faced with buying the stuff, go big or go home. Get a "turkey fryer" burner and stand or whatever they're called and a large pot if you're buying one. If you have an outdoor propane grille you already have the fuel source. Don't use aluminum pots or tools. Garage sales are your friend.

Gear

nonferrous
02-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Turkey Fryer for sure, one and done.

Cadillo
02-16-2012, 09:00 PM
I have been using my Coleman Shellite ( dual fuel ) stove to smelt ingots.. its a bit slow but it works.. i definately need a turkey fryer though, and being in Australia..well, i cant seem to find anyone who sells this kind of high pressure fryer ! Any ideas ?

If you are near the coast, ask someone who is in the seafood business if they have a line on one. Here in the U.S. they are used extensively to boil shrimp, crabs, etc.

jcwit
02-16-2012, 09:26 PM
I use a single burner Coleman Stove that burns dual fuel, white gas AKA naptha, and unleaded gas. Works great, at least for me. I stick with naptha as Here in the No. Indiana Amish country its available at the pump and I feel its better than unleaded gas with all the additives.

45 pro, if you get up to the LaGrange, Shipshewana, Middlebury area look for the white gas at the pump.

45pro
02-16-2012, 09:34 PM
I use a single burner Coleman Stove that burns dual fuel, white gas AKA naptha, and unleaded gas. Works great, at least for me. I stick with naptha as Here in the No. Indiana Amish country its available at the pump and I feel its better than unleaded gas with all the additives.

45 pro, if you get up to the LaGrange, Shipshewana, Middlebury area look for the white gas at the pump.

jcwit?? From Thehighroad? You live in Indiana? I'm from Plymouth, where are you at?

I've never heard of naptha. You can buy it at the pump?

I'm only about 30 minutes from SHIPSHE. I actually aquired a FREE old propane grill. The burners are a little dirty and need cleaned but it should work well. Came with the tank too!