PDA

View Full Version : Round nose bullets in a bolt action...

Silvercreek Farmer
02-15-2012, 03:38 PM
I am new to the whole cast bullet world, but as I disussed in a previous thread, planning to reload cast bullets for my bolt action 30-06. Will the round nose feed properly? I enjoy cycling the bolt as smoothly and quickly as I can:mrgreen:

bowfin
02-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Hundreds of thousands of round nosed boolits and bullets have been cycled through bolt action rifles with no problems.

That being said, I can't vouch for your particular rifle, boolit, or the overall length of cartridge and magazine to guarantee it 100%.

I would be surprised if you did have problems though.

02-15-2012, 04:11 PM
My bolt actions chamber Lyman's 308291 (311291) as easily as spire point jacketed. That said, there's much truth to "each gun is unique".

stubshaft
02-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Once you get the proper COL you should have no problem with a roundnose boollit.

1Shirt
02-15-2012, 04:40 PM
It is my experiance that RN blts, cast or J, will if theiy are appropriate length function thru any rifle, lever/Auto/pump/bolt, etc.
1Shirt!

Silvercreek Farmer
02-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Cool, thanks guys.

williamwaco
02-15-2012, 07:51 PM
It is my experience that RN blts, cast or J, will if they are appropriate length function thru any rifle, lever/Auto/pump/bolt, etc.
1Shirt!

DITTO.

Silver,

Welcome to the forum.

If they don't feed, experiment with the length.
Use a dummy cartridge.

Load three or four with no primer or powder.
Load them to the absolute maximum length that will fit in the magazine. They will most likely not feed smoothly ( or at all ).

Now seat them deeper about one turn of the seating stem ( or one fourth to one third turn of the seating die body ) and try again until they feed.

Note: One half turn of the seating die body will seat the bullet .036 deeper into the case. A half turn of the seating stem will be much less because it is a much finer thread. I can't estimate that for you because I don't know the thread specification for your seating die stem.

When you get it like you want it. Lock down the lock rings on the die. Select the dummy cartridge that is least beat-up and mark it with the bullet number on the case body. Keep it for reseting your die when you need to at a later date ( you WILL need to reset it sooner or later.)
Then pull the bullets from the other dummy cartridges and toss them back into the box with your fired cases and reload them normally.

adrians
02-15-2012, 09:15 PM
What they all said.

Sonnypie
02-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Check your PM inbox.
I'll send you some to try out for yourself, if you'd like.