PDA

View Full Version : Thwarted by a hair!

nelsonted1
02-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Thwarted by a hair! I challenge myself trying for the most perfectist title.

Quite often we see posts on how to screw up reloading, sometimes dangerously so. I had a freak experience that I haven't seen on Cast Boolits.

I happened to be using my Lee powder measure dumping .38 sp. loads one after another. As is my constant habit, I filled a tray of 50 cases and then looked in each one for either no powder or a double load. I ALWAYS look in every case before I finish my powdering phase so I don't accidentally double a Red Dot or Unique load in a rifle case. I've had squib loads before which scare me to death since if I can manage an empty case I could just as easily manage a double-powder case.

Anyway, I noticed I had less powder in the last few cases than the rest of the fifty. I emptied the lee powder unit and found a hair bridging the throat blocking some of the powder from falling so I got a partial load!

What happened was I had been using a dipper on a previous loading session and must have had a hair fall in the container i was dipping from. The hair went into the Red Dot bottle with the powder.

TED

R.M.
02-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Now see, there are advantages to being bald.

trixter
02-15-2012, 01:52 PM
That is really a 'hairy' story, but could happen to any of us. Thanks for bring that tho the table.

Aunegl
02-15-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm almost afraid to ask, what kind of hair.

nelsonted1
02-15-2012, 02:08 PM

Funny you should ask. I see a pain psychologist. She grows miniature rabbits. I wanted to see one so she brought a couple for me to see. When she left we didn't realize she left one in my bowl. I accidently dropped the rabbit in the Red Dot bottle and later bridged my load with the hare. See, not so hard. I still haven't figured how I missed the smell.

TED

Lizard333
02-15-2012, 02:10 PM
That's funny!!! You had me spit my bite of salad out when I read that!!!

44man
02-15-2012, 03:32 PM

Funny you should ask. I see a pain psychologist. She grows miniature rabbits. I wanted to see one so she brought a couple for me to see. When she left we didn't realize she left one in my bowl. I accidently dropped the rabbit in the Red Dot bottle and later bridged my load with the hare. See, not so hard. I still haven't figured how I missed the smell.

TED
You are right at home here! [smilie=l:[smilie=l:

Rockchucker
02-15-2012, 03:47 PM
That's funny

x101airborne
02-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Yes, a low charge can make one pull their hare out.

waksupi
02-15-2012, 04:38 PM
It must be a hare hair. Har har har!

tonyjones
02-15-2012, 04:46 PM
A hare raising psychologist. What has the world come to?

Tony

1Shirt
02-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Hare today stew tommrow!
1Shirt![smilie=s:

Rick N Bama
02-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Guys please!! My wife is trying to get a nap in & she can't sleep with me laughing so hard:bigsmyl2:

Rick

nelsonted1
02-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Yes, a low charge can make one pull their hare out.

There is a larger or at least more important point (for me at least). It's not so much the hare it's the hair raising load. I famously had a problem with that in my youth, last week.

nelsonted1
02-15-2012, 05:46 PM
I didn't have the problem. It's that I am so sensitive to other's discomfort. Books were written about me and songs...

nelsonted1
02-15-2012, 06:02 PM
That pain psychologist. She's not for me, not exactly. A while back my significant others got together, set up a foundation. It's called "Ladies~Aid". I'm to send the "prospects" to the pain psychologist. It's not this simple- it's something that someone decided was important and it was easier to just go along with it.

x101airborne
02-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Well, at least that hare wasn't short AND curly!!

Wolfer
02-15-2012, 07:20 PM
I've had two malfunctions of a similar sort. Just this last year my powder measure was throwing funky and when I got to checking I found a big spider had set up house in the barrel.
A few years back my RCBS 5-0-5 scale wouldn't seem to level out consistently. After much hare pulling I found a couple whiskers from steel wool were stuck to the damping magnet and they would stop the scale in a different spot every time

Lively Boy
02-15-2012, 09:43 PM
a while back my powder measure was hanging up like it was cutting long grain powder. but was using bullseye....found a 32 cal revolver boolit in the hopper??? will never know???

HangFireW8
02-15-2012, 10:13 PM
a while back my powder measure was hanging up like it was cutting long grain powder. but was using bullseye....found a 32 cal revolver boolit in the hopper??? will never know???

Found a spent primer in mine once. I'm still scratching my head on that one. It stopped my dispensor cold, so debugging the problem was not rocket science.

I've had the hair of a hare problem in the power dispensor, too. Or it might have been one of mine, or from one of my own.

Never take anything for granted. Especially marble.

HF