PDA

View Full Version : It was about good load and it still is.

Finn45
06-27-2005, 02:58 AM
Well, it seems to me that when some load is about good then it's about good. I was shooting some new experiments with molds I acquired during the winter. 540 grain Gunn-style PB shot very nice; I've never seen so perfect holes in the paper, perfect side profile holes! Big 710 grain GC shot better, almost round holes (with evident base slap sideways though), but they were all over the paper. Well these two are not for my 20" twist and COAL anyway, but I liked to collect some load data for the computer. Besides it was fun and this 710 was first load for a long time which I shot keeping my head behind a wooden beam when touching of the first one... My new 470PB MM showed some promise, but resulted some lead wash after those Gunn's and maybe 15 of these. Not hot loads, but no wads or any other tricks, just .459 calibration and slight contact to the throat/rifling. And the load that was about good and still is, was my moose masher from the last year; I shot 8 of them, leftovers from my last years hunting gear, which I shot from somewhat leaded barrel just to check chrono data; even the flyer is there so it must be built in, hehe. Too bad I need to soften the alloy and I'm going to ease the load also a bit. Here they are, from last year and from yesterday:

http://pyssymiehet.com/shooting/patterns.jpg

Bass Ackward
06-27-2005, 06:22 AM
[font=Arial]I was shooting some new experiments with molds I acquired during the winter.

Too bad I need to soften the alloy and I'm going to ease the load also a bit.

Reijo,

Glad to here that you can get to the range.

710 grains? And even the 510 gr is "supposed to" push the 20" twist a bit. You really must have a good sourse for lead.

You need to get more familiar with your gun. Then you can hold low and to the right when it is time for the flier. :grin:

Any thoughts on why the flier goes .... high left? Does this happen on the third .... or the fourth shot?

nighthunter
06-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Thats some good shooting. Is the rifle a 45/70?

Finn45
06-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Nighthntr, Yes, it's my Marlin .45/70, Ballard rifled, straight stocked and port chopped 16.5"'er with Burris 2x pistol scope. John, I actually can do that (normally I just listen what Marlin whispers and aim accordingly), but due to the nature of this session I just threw those over the chrono in order to check if they still shoot alright. Well, I always try, but didn't push it so much, maybe that's the trick. I can only say that barrel was pointing to that direction when that flier occurred, but why... I remember from earlier years using diaper bullets that when shooting tough 300 grain loads that was the direction where POI walked when load was increased from certain point. Rifle jumps pretty high with this load so I can't tell what kind of pirouettes it's performing right when boolit exits. And the loads were not assembled with the utmost care; they are RCBS thrown, although N120 drops pretty well from old Uniflow. I don't have spotting scope and 2x pistol scope didn't show it from the black...

26Charlie
07-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Nice grouping! Not sure from the discussion what the bullet & load is - the target shows 2.95 grams (?) N120. For a 16.5" bbl. carbine thats super grouping.
I have a Marlin .45-70 "Cowboy Ltd" with 26" half-octagon barrel, and my best loads with the 405 gr. bullet group almost that well - although I have aperture sights, not a 2x scope - but the sights don't matter that much IMHO.

Grams to grains conversion goes via a pound, in my thinking - 454 grams to the pound, 7000 grains to the pound - so (2.95 / 454) x 7000 = 45.5 grains if I did the math OK.

Finn45
07-06-2005, 02:57 AM
You did the math very well. I've used to make it through the approximation of 0.0648 grams equals to 1 grain because I remember that and other more common measures. Some measures like ounce, which I don't need so often, I still have to go through 7000x0.0648/16=28.35grams.

Somehow this rifle likes hot N120 cast load. I don't get that kind of groups with lower velocity with N120 or N133 and not even equally hot N133 load. I would like to make my hunting load go around 1600fps, but it's very difficult to accept accuracy although groups still are okay for any hunting load. Boolit is MM .459-425-CG with 80% meplat and .500" ogival nose and tapering band. Those are shot with WW+lino mix making 405-410 grains at BHN15. I'm pretty sure that RCBS 405 would make it even better, but the load probably needs some adjusting due to shorter nose or needs to be seated longer. I use M-die and I don't crush all hell out of the FCD. My eyes are able to aim okay with this 2x but with post front sight no. With 2x I aim to the center area of the black bull, but with irons I aim to that blurry black bull; for me it makes big difference, but it's not affecting to result so much really. Additionally scope allows me shoot many times with less tiring; irons tire my eyes very easily right from the first shot.

Finn45
07-06-2005, 03:06 AM
I post too much pics anyway so here's one more of the boolit just for your inconvenience, hehe... Dudes in the pic are not the target; they just dig these things as well.

http://www3.freepichosting.com/Thumbs/421539753/3/600/396.jpg