PDA

View Full Version : Heat treating with gas checks applied?

Shuz
02-14-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm trying to cure an OOR condition with an RCBS 35-200 boolit for my .35 Whelens. Boolits as cast after Beagleing mic .359-.361. when using a relatively soft Bhn 5 alloy. I'm trying to achieve a final diameter of .360. Sizing with my Lyman .360 die, I can bump this soft alloy to achieve the desired size, and basically mitigate the OOR condition, but in so doing, the gas checks are a bear to put on after heat treating. However, if I put the gas checks on and then size the boolits before heat treating, the gas checks slip right on and fit perfectly. So.....I decided to try and heat treat these boolits with the gas checks applied. Will this adversly affect the performance of the gas check?

cbrick
02-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Will this adversly affect the performance of the gas check?

No, it won't. That's how I oven heat treat all of my top end 357 long range match bullets. Lube them later as needed with a die .001" larger than used to size & seat the check.

Also, many people anneal their checks to make them easier to put on.

Rick

runfiverun
02-14-2012, 10:37 PM
bhn 5 lead ain't gonna heat treat.
there's nothing in pure lead to treat.

454PB
02-14-2012, 10:40 PM
What r5r said. Why not add some antimony, which will allow heat treatment, plus increase the as cast diameter?

stubshaft
02-14-2012, 10:42 PM

+1 - When you bump up the boolit you are probably expanding the base also.

cbrick
02-14-2012, 11:33 PM

Oh yeah huh. I missed that in the OP.

Rick

Shuz
02-15-2012, 03:53 PM

I said the alloy was Bhn 5, but I SHOULD have said that it was Saeco 5 which interpolates to about Bhn 8! The alloy is basically a mixture of 1/2 clip on ww's and 1/2 dental lead by weight.

This alloy tested Saeco 6 an hour or so after heat treating, and
this morning,about 18 hours after heat treating these formerly Saeco 5 boolits with the gas check on, tested Saeco 11 which is about Bhn 27-28.

The really good news is that these boolits, in addition to being "harder than the hubs of hell", are now round and .360 in diameter.