PDA

View Full Version : Tuscon Swap Meet

azcoyhunter
03-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Fellow Shooters

I "GET" to go see the inlaws this weekend.

The best part, is the Tuscon Swap Meet.

Hopefully I will be able to get some good stuff.

Question for you though.

I own a LEE press, will other brand dies work with it?

I am not sure what I will find, it is alwas a "CRAP SHOOT"

wish me luck.

Clint

madcaster
03-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Lyman,Redding,RCBS,Lee,CH,Herter's and most any others ones fit.
The only ones that may NOT fit are Lyman #310 tong tool dies and shotgun dies.
Stick a reloading die(your own die that is) that will fit your press into your pocket before you go to the swap meet to compare...

NVcurmudgeon
03-16-2007, 02:25 PM
AZ, most presses are threaded 7/8-14. That is a common hardware store thread, and therin lies something we can use. Once I had a bunch of free .32/20 cases and a .25/20 rifle. The local hardware store provided a 7/8 bolt, and by drilling a hole halfway between the sizes of the .25/20 neck and the .32/20 neck, I had a custom intermediate forming die for a few cents. Besides the Lyman 310 dies and shotgun dies mentioned by madcaster, some presses will have a bushing that is threaded 7/8-14 and can be taken out so that larger dies can be used. Happy treasure hunting.

Wayne Smith
03-16-2007, 06:18 PM
If yours is the Lee basic style press I don't think it has the bushing. In that case you can't use the 50BMG dies that are made on the larger die set. Other than that I think you are home free other than the Lyman 310 dies. They are easy, no threads on them as I think they don't screw in.

ron brooks
03-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Do they still have one out at Tanque Verde? That use to be a really nice one. My favorite.

floodgate
03-17-2007, 01:52 AM
azcoyhuter, Wayne:

Lyman 310 (also Tru-line Junior) dies DO have fine (5/8" x 30 tpi) threads, and you can get adapters to use them in 7/8" x 14 die stations from Lyman Customer Service (Part No. 7392036, @ $6.95) - but they are somewhat limited in what you can do with them (for instance, only the Tru-Line Jr. dies marked "[caliber] FL" will do full-length sizing, and only for short straight and bottle-necked rifle and pistol cases).

floodgate

Bent Ramrod
03-17-2007, 02:17 AM
AzCoyHunter and Ron,

Yes, the Tanque Verde Swap Meet in Tucson is a fabulous one, and one I badly miss in my exile from Arizona. It used to be up north and east of town, but now I think it's near the freeway to the south. A zillion snowbirds from the North and East coming down every winter with truckloads of Stuff to peddle every weekend to finance their warm weather vacation. I hauled a fair amount of treasure out of there and (curses!) missed, overlooked or didn't have the money for many more. Good hunting!

buck1
03-17-2007, 08:47 AM
I love swap meets! the other day I picked up a very good condition forester case trimmer for $7!

azcoyhunter
03-20-2007, 10:32 AM
I got back from the "InLaws"

and I made a good score, I think

I bought some 223 cases, 223 RCBS dies (2 box set)
400 J word bullets

and still sorting out what is left.

I do not own a 223, so I will be trying to trade for someting I can use.

My wife and others said "What are you doing buying something you cannot use"

I said, I know a few guys that can though.

Clint