PDA

View Full Version : Small Town Gun Show

bowfin
02-12-2012, 02:30 AM
Our local gun club had their semi annual gun show today (and tomorrow).

It costs $3 to get in the door, and I usually buy a $1 raffle ticket.

I wasn't looking for anything, as I am subscribing to "No Spend February", but here's what we saw of note:

My nephew traded his like new SIG Mosquito and holster for a like new Savage .22 WMR bolt action and a spare magazine. His father bought 4 boxes of Norinco 5.56 ammunition and 3 1/2 boxes of Winchester .22 Magnum ammunition for $30 total. The other brother bought a box of Hornady .220 Swift ammo for $14.95 and two boxes of Speer Gold Match .308" 168 grain bullets for $21 apiece.

They had 6 new Ruger 77 Stainless/Synthetic rifles that sold for $499 apiece. I think they were .264 Winchester, 7mm-08, .308, .300 Win Mag., and a pair of .30-06 Springfields. They lasted less than 4 hours.

I saw a like new Smith & Wesson 3" Model 36 which I always thought would be one of the top trail guns, but the guy wanted $475 for that, and I think you can buy them all day long for less.

In general, guns were flying out of the place like crazy. One dealer packed up and left early, because he sold most of what he had and what was left wasn't worth his time to tend the table for what little he had left. Everywhere I looked, the dealers had a customer behind the table filling out a form for a new gun. One guy who had WWII military long rifles sold six in six hours, and he only had 9-10 to start.

One guy had two Remington 5mm rifles (one tube and one magazine) and they were both gone by the time I made my second round.

Main reason for posting this was so you guys could compare admission, prices, and activity compared to what goes on in your neck of the woods.

bbs70
02-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Here in Il and the St.Louis area its usually 5 to 10 to get in the door.
Good deals are VERY rare, most prices on guns are higher than in stores.

Jimbo2
02-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Here in southwest wyoming they charge a minimum of $5, and the last several gunshows I've been to weren't worth the price. Lots of old guns way over priced and the new guns were priced at $30-$50 over what the local gun shops charge. The only redeeming factor is the reloaded ammo you can pick up sometimes for less than wally world sells winchester white box.

1Shirt
02-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Bowfin, Where was that show??? Not Lincoln by any chance?
1Shirt!

firefly1957
02-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Lets see you vow not to spend money in February then go to a gun show??? Surprised you made it!

Bill*
02-12-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm from NJ, what the heck is a gun show :cry: J/K

Guesser
02-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Looking fwd to our spring shows, they are both 3 day shows and it is 5$ for the weekend admission. 3 days for 5$ works well for me as I usually go twice even tho it is an 80 mile round trip. No parking fees and always some good stuff, I even have some good trading mat'l this spring.

bowfin
02-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Lets see you vow not to spend money in February then go to a gun show??? Surprised you made it!

Actually, my brother paid my way in, as I drove...

They never even asked me to buy a raffle ticket, as the guys working were discussing the loss of a member who collapsed and died in the parking lot the night before.

TJF1
02-12-2012, 12:50 PM
You are lucky shows here are 10 and 12 dolars
to get in

chuckbuster
02-12-2012, 01:08 PM
6$ a day, $9 for the weekend, 3 day show. 1 a month Nov.-April then usually on win July.

My impression is they all accumulate "inventory" through the off months, 1st show in Nov selection is not bad. Each show after that is not much more than the remainders of the previous show/shows. Get into April and pickings are pretty slim.

I did pick up 1500 215 SWC for my .41's once for $75. The guy was tired of hauling them around, taking up space he could fill with 9mm and .40's. Otherwise prices not all that impressive, most will trade with you but they will always want some boot, regardless of what you have.
KDK

bowfin
02-12-2012, 03:14 PM
A coworker was at the gun show (it was in COLUMBUS, 1 shirt) bought a 1903 Springfield with a plastic stock. As I understand, that was a U.S. Navy rebuild of some sort done in the 1950s.

Oh, and before anyone calls me for buying hamish's .44 boolits in the Swappin & Sellin forum in "No Spend February", my brother had me buy them for him. He believes copper is required for a proper projectile, a mindset I am trying to disabuse him of having. He saw the gas checks on the boolits and thought he would take a chance on something not encased in gilding metal.

DLCTEX
02-12-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm hoping to make the Tulsa gun show this spring just to see that many acres of gun related stuff. March 31 and April 1.

jsizemore
02-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Local gun show is $8 for 2 days, 800 tables, 4 shows/year. I got there just after lunch and the line was 200 yards long. The fire marshall would let 5 in as 5 left. Something like 8,000 capacity. I turned around and left when I saw the line to get in. I ain't seen a deal in 3 years.

starmac
02-12-2012, 04:27 PM
I guess I have been lucky, but I can't remember ever going to a gun show anywhere, where I didn't think the entertainment factor was worth the cost, and most time find more deals than I have money to spend. lol

Guesser
02-12-2012, 05:25 PM
That's the way I am. I don't go to movie theaters, concerts or anything like that, even gave up on Rodeos. But a gun show is fine entertainment.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-12-2012, 05:39 PM
We here in Southern Ca. are still lamenting the loss of the gun show held twice a year at the Los Angeles Co. fair grounds. It was housed in eight buidings, one of which you could spend the entire day in, it is so big. There were also many rows of tables outsde as well as other types of displays. It was quite an experience just to walk through, even if you didn't buy a thing. The smell of all the various types of food cooking was worth the price of admission. We owe the loss to one politician, namely Maxine Waters, now a U.S. congress person. A miss guided idiot of the first rank. GAG. I should point out thet even if you do buy the gun of your dreams it is becoming more and more difficult to find a place to shoot it. One would think that it would be no problem in a state thet is 3/4 desert but the powers that be keep placing more of it off limits. I doubt if a person of Bill Gates wealth could open a rifle range in this state if he wanted to. Not that he would want to. God help us gun owners here in the Golden State.

gbrown
02-12-2012, 05:42 PM
I went to the Houston Gun Collectors at Reliant Park a couple of weeks ago. Cost $10.00 to park and $8 to get in the door. What amazed me was that there were some old collectors' pieces, a lot of pistols and some rifles/shotguns, but most of the place was packed with accessory people. A lot of that was non-gun related. There were some deals, but not many. I managed to pick up a brick of SP primers for under $20. and about 300 38 super new brass for $20. I seriously doubt that I will return to that show.

Huskerguy
02-12-2012, 05:49 PM
bowfin

I go to the Hastings show when it works out, it is the same $3 and is a good show, heard one of the biggest in Nebraska. I grew up in NE and now live in Kansas. The fall show in Hastings was pretty dead, some reloading stuff and a few guns were being sold but for the most part people were just walking around.

A bigger show in Wichita in March is $8 to get in I believe. It is a nice size show with decent prices most of the time.

Talked to my LGS owner and he said his suppliers are telling him there is a real shortage of inventory for many firearms. Handguns are selling at a faster rate than after the last election. There have been lots of predictions of shortages of lots of things. I always hesitate to say that because we never know.

richhodg66
02-12-2012, 05:57 PM
We had two here this weekend, one in Manhattan and one in Herrington. The Manhattan show was $8 admission and sucked for the most part. Mostly dealers with new black rifles and auto pistols, fine if you're into it, but not my thing. It also brought out the freaks that college towns usually do.

The one in Herrington was great! Lots of old interesting stuff and great folks to talk to. I picked a few odds and ends up for what I felt were good prices and the ladies there selling eats had the best potato soup I've had in a long time. It was $4 admission and that would have gotten me in today too if I had gone back. Small town shows are always better to me than bigger towns.

Incidentally, both shows had a lot more people in attnedance than normal it seemed. Looked like a lot of selling was being done at both, so I was happy to see that shows are still doing well.

303british.com
02-12-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm in Ontario, Canada and it costs $5 to get in. We have two types of shows around here - militaria and general shooting stuff. Same people going to the same shows. Lots of fun to watch the action!

I wrote this for the paper a few years ago. It probably belongs in the Off Topic area, but it is a bout gun shows.

Old Guys and Gun Shows!
copyright 2007 - Stephen Redgwell

Are you going to a gun show? If so, will you tell me which one, so I can avoid it? As much as I would like to meet you, let's chat over a cup of coffee at the restaurant some time - NOT in front of the used lever gun table at the arena! You're old and it's scary!

What's that? You say you're not old? Let me paint you a picture of your future then. It's 8AM on Sunday morning and you're not really awake. You arrive at the show - usually held at the local arena or community centre - and are shocked by the lack of good parking. Some other (smarter) attendees have beaten you there and that means you are forced to park at least a hundred feet from the main entrance! This would be okay if you were under 60 - it would be a short walk for a youngster like that. The bad news is you're an over 60, out of shape male with a beer gut, thinning hair and several bothersome medical conditions. This is your Bataan Death March.

Standing beside your truck, you realize that you are in a sea of other oldsters. You'll join the slow, painful migration of aging flesh as everyone sluggishly shuffles toward the entrance. While in the crowd, you hear bones cracking. Everyone is cursing at body parts that don't work like they used to. In short, you hear the noises of seniors trying to move without breaking. And there's that unmistakable aroma of "old person" in the air. It's easy to visualize what it must be like to live near an elephant grave yard.

You hear things like, "They should have more handicapped parking." or "See that red pickup? It's Joe's. He manages to get a good spot near the building every time!"

That is the voice of a vet - a gun show regular that goes primarily for the conversation and comradeship of other older men who have nothing else to do on a Sunday morning.

"Hi Bill. How's the sciatica?" asks a grey haired pensioner of indeterminate age. His buddy is dressed in a Ducks Unlimited hat, shirt and trousers.

"It's bad this morning, Dale. My arthritis is acting up too. It would be hell in the duck boat today..."

Another man complains about prices, not aches and pains. "Did you see the price of that Lee Enfield? The guy wants $75! It's not worth $10! Damn crook! I gotta stop coming to these stupid shows..."

Two long time friends exit the building for a cigarette. They huddle together with the rest of the smokers in an effort to get out of the drizzle. One says to the other, "For crying out loud, Ed, give the guy his $50. It's a frickin' Leupold! You can send it back to the factory for repairs. Who gives a damn if it doesn't work right now. It's lifetime warrantied!"

His buddy doesn't want to part with any cash, "Nah, it's used. Is it even worth $50? I don't even know if it's broken. What happens if I get it mounted on my 30-30 and it doesn't work? Who wants to wait for it to be mailed to Oregon, get fixed and come back? Cripes Jim, I could be dead by then..."

Inside, you witness what must be considered hunting hell. When you die, if you've been a bad person, this is likely what you'll face for all eternity. People are standing around in the middle of the aisles, confused, or chatting and blocking traffic. You can't understand what most of them are saying because your hearing isn't what it used to be. Most tables don't have prices marked. You forgot your glasses anyway. The coffee is terrible. It's loud. That idiot from your gun club is there again. Why doesn't he ever stay home? Your leg is paining you. There's no place to sit down.

Anyone moving faster than a limp is reckless and obviously a troublemaker. Damn kids! What's his rush...You'd like to tell him off, but won't. Older people curse under their breath at anyone under 60 but rarely verbalize in a crowd. You may have been an alpha male once upon a time, but that time is long gone and you're scared of being attacked. The fact is, you're intimidated by anyone with good circulation. If you can walk without assistance, you're considered a predator.

You slowly circulate through the show, seeing most of the same junk that was there last month. Nothing has changed. It's cost you five bucks to get in and all you've managed to do is grumble about the lack of 'good stuff', criticize the prices, complain yet again about the bad coffee and point out that this is a stupid way to spend a Sunday morning. Everyone you talk to agrees. You decide to leave around 11:30 and get some lunch. Walking out the front door, you start saying your goodbyes to friends.

"See you next show?" asks an oldster in a dirty, camo ball cap.

"Absolutely." you reply, "I wouldn't miss it for the world."

starmac
02-12-2012, 06:47 PM
I reckon getting old still beats the alternative. I have always liked a lot of the old timers stories, even when I was very young. I reckon opinions just vary a lot.

MT Gianni
02-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Local show cost a dollar. It is twice a year and has 50 tables. No powder or primers,maybe 1/3 actual guns. Knives, accessories, "antiques" and a lady selling soap. One of the town auxiliaries sells sweet rolls and coffee. Over half are upper end retail,$1200-$1800. Almost all are used. One couple brings the same Colt SAA's every show, OK but prices are way out of my league on those, $2500 +. They rarely seem to sell any or it is my memory that I see the same ones. They do sell a few lower end Semi-auto pistols. Prices on those are about $100 over Gunbroker. Occasionally I find a really good buy. Never miss it if I am around.

LuvMy1911
02-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Most gun shows in Michigan cost $6 entrance fee... Shows are a mixed bag, sometimes they have have high prices sometimes they are reasonable... Somtimes the selection is excellent and sometimes the pickin's are rather paltry... But I have learned many things from older gents at the shows and enjoy them for that.

303british.com
02-12-2012, 08:06 PM
I think a lot of us have pleasant memories of past gun shows.

I was born in a little town and bought my first rifle at a gun show held at the local arena. It was a No 1 Mk III Lee Enfield, which, upon reflection, I should have steered clear of. It had a ramp rear sight. Every time I pulled the trigger, the ramp would jump. As a result, the target looked like a shotgun pattern. It took a while to realize what was happening. I took tape and wrapped it around the sight to keep it from moving! :lol:

Many years later, I decided to try selling some of the jacketed bullets I make. I rented a table and laid out my stuff. Most people saw "a new vendor" and stared at my stuff from a discreet distance. They didn't want get close enough for me to talk to them I guess. I managed to sell two boxes of .224 bullets made from rimfire jackets at that first show. That was it from 8 until noon. :lol:

bowfin
02-13-2012, 11:01 AM
I didn't go the second day, but my coworker said people were lined up a 9:00 A.M. to get in the second day, and it was busy all day long.

I thought it was going to be dead, with all the people I saw Saturday. The guys at the gun club said most of the sales were new firearms, which shows the "Obama Bump" for gun manufacturers certainly hasn't waned.

rockrat
02-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I think some are worried about the upcoming elections and are deciding to get now before the prices jump like last time.

gbrown
02-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Re: "Old Guys and Gun Shows". That is the best argument why we "old guys" need to be working with the next or farther generation and get them into shooting. Not meaning to get on too big a soap box, but it is incumbent on us to involve them into shooting. That's our task, our job. I have 2 grandsons living with me. One 18--he's into shooting big time, and one 9--he's soon to be. If we want all this to live on, we need to get involved with them. Sorry to preach or lecture, it's just the truth!

Frank46
02-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Well this old guy and his wife hobbled along to a local gun show. They changed the location and
if the economy is so bad you'd never know it. Parking lot filled and they had folks steering you to a parking spot. Felt like a sardine in a can. Place was mobbed on a sunday. did find a 870 with 20" cylinder bore bbl for $195 so $212 w/tax otd. I love the old wingmasters. Stinks when you have to use a cane to get around. But still was interesting. Didn't see many S&W's but a lot of taurus copies of the model 10. Still more money than they have them for in the shotgun news.
Black rifles galore and from what I saw doing well. Frank

lead-1
02-14-2012, 07:13 AM
Went to a small, local show a couple weeks back and din't do to bad. It was eight bucks for me and the son to get in and that included a raffle ticket. I picked up 13 rounds of Old Western Scrounger 577-450 ammo, a LEE loader in 30-30 and one improved model in 44 mag all for 45 bucks. I figure the ammo alone was worth that.

troyboy
02-14-2012, 09:19 PM
I catch the shows when I am in town and when I am on the road. There is always a deal to be had on something. Sometimes the pickings are slim and lots there is more to buy than I can afford. The really amazing thing is the price change from one region to the next. I did a show in PA and the prices were way high. Another show in Salt Lake was crazy cheap. Problem at that show was the airplane and being out of state. Lots of shows in the Hampton/Richmond area. Lots of shows in the Raligh/Greensboro area. Those shows have better prices than the Va shows. Like anything you have to know what something is worth. Most all my buying of firearms, powder and primers is done at shows. Most other stuff is purchased online. The thing I like the most about the shows is looking at and handling all the different firearms. The local shows are always done with the wife and boys. The wife and I have been doing the shows together for 20+ years all over these United States.

DCM
02-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Most shows here are $5-6 at the door.

I miss the Gun and junk shows that the Wi Gun Collectors Assn. Uused to have at state fair park, they were very large. They decide most of the vendors were selling non collector stuff and decided to change the way they did things. Kinda sad for them as it was prolly a great money maker for them. On the other hand the shows they put on now are much more interesting, but MUCH smaller. I think they should have gone to a 2 format system.

I also miss the Cook county Illinois show as it was quite lagre also. Many buildings lots of stuff and junk. I believe politics closed that one down like the California show.

ElDorado
02-15-2012, 11:47 AM
I met an old guy at a gun show about 20 years ago, but he was a little different from the old guys that 303british describes.

This guy was in his eighties, and he sat alone at a table with a pair of nickel plated Colt single-actions, a few concho-riddled cowboy accoutrements, and a binder filled with 8x10 glossy black and white publicity photos. I noticed that nobody was stopping at his table, at least while I was browsing in that row. When I got to his table, I stopped and talked to him for a while. It turns out that he was an extra in some of Tom Mix’s old westerns. At the time, the only thing I knew about Tom Mix was that my father and his brothers held him in high regard in their youth. The pictures showed him as a young man in his Hollywood cowboy gear. Some of the photos showed him with Tom Mix. The Colts, were either presented to him by Mix, or were once owned by him, I can’t recall which now. This old man had nothing for sell. He rented the table just to sit and share his stories and memorabilia with whomever would stop long enough to talk to him.

It’s sad to think about all the people walking past this old guy, too busy to look at cowboy stuff because they’re looking for deals on factory ammo and plastic guns. Maybe I’m the odd man out, but I thought it was pretty cool.

I met a man who knew Tom Mix.

ElDorado
02-15-2012, 11:56 AM
By the way, 303british, I enjoyed your article.

BBGun
02-15-2012, 01:27 PM
We here in Southern Ca. are still lamenting the loss of the gun show held twice a year at the Los Angeles Co. fair grounds. It was housed in eight buidings, one of which you could spend the entire day in, it is so big. There were also many rows of tables outsde as well as other types of displays. It was quite an experience just to walk through, even if you didn't buy a thing. The smell of all the various types of food cooking was worth the price of admission. We owe the loss to one politician, namely Maxine Waters, now a U.S. congress person. A miss guided idiot of the first rank. GAG. I should point out thet even if you do buy the gun of your dreams it is becoming more and more difficult to find a place to shoot it. One would think that it would be no problem in a state thet is 3/4 desert but the powers that be keep placing more of it off limits. I doubt if a person of Bill Gates wealth could open a rifle range in this state if he wanted to. Not that he would want to. God help us gun owners here in the Golden State.

I'm with you Gopher. I live in Northern Cal. and it's no better here. We do have a gun show about once a year in Napa county. I plan to go to that one. All the rest have gone bye bye.
And have you noticed the price of guns here are going out of sight?
I'd love to pack up and leave.

Reload3006
02-15-2012, 01:35 PM
in the late 70z and 80z gun shows where great. Lots of venders and people walking around with guns for sale. ... to day? NA I am not going to pay the entrance fee to see the same ole over priced flea market **** that is always in the gun shows in the St. Louis area.

Rio Grande
02-15-2012, 01:46 PM
I went to the Houston Gun Collectors at Reliant Park a couple of weeks ago. Cost $10.00 to park and $8 to get in the door. What amazed me was that there were some old collectors' pieces, a lot of pistols and some rifles/shotguns, but most of the place was packed with accessory people. A lot of that was non-gun related. There were some deals, but not many. I managed to pick up a brick of SP primers for under $20. and about 300 38 super new brass for $20. I seriously doubt that I will return to that show.

That surprises me, I always do well at that show. That's the best show in Houston, where we have a so-called gun show every weekend it seems. And the largest. And the most friendly.
The Houston Gun Collectors Show (3x a year) is good because the members get tables very cheap and those old folks show up with tons of interesting gun stuff, mom and pop stuff unlike what you see at the shows that are just retail money-making new plastic guns. Thats why you see a blocks-long line of people waiting to get in in the mornings.
'non-gun related' ? Like what? They do have historical and gun books, and GI surplus/militaria.
But NO flea market chinese junk. http://www.hgca.org/rules_items.html
And may I add that the HGCS is the ORIGINAL show in Houston also, back in the day it was the ONLY show, twice a year. I remember going at the old coliseum.
Yes the parking is a MAJOR rip-off... but I ride my bike in, to the front door, for free.
See all you old geezers and young folks too at the HGCS - Reliant, May 26.

BTW, I attended a gun show in California a couple of years back, Glendale (LA).
I was very pleasantly surprised. A great show also.

Rio Grande
02-15-2012, 01:53 PM

I thought it was pretty sad, ripping on old folks. Want to know the real reason why old people don't like the new shows as much as the old shows?
The old shows were better.

303british.com
02-15-2012, 02:17 PM

Thanks. Every once in a while you'll have an encounter with someone interesting. It would be neat to meet a movie extra or someone to swap tales with. It's worth the price of admission.

Up here, there has been a shift from a bunch of guys getting together to swap lies and guns to a profit driven, "buy and move along" attitude. Certainly, it's not like that at every table, but there are a lot more commercial sellers around. It never used to be that way.

I thought it was pretty sad, ripping on old folks. Want to know the real reason why old people don't like the new shows as much as the old shows?

The old shows were better.

As someone who is older, I hardly think that I was "ripping" on old folks. It's what I've seen. :lol:

'The old shows were better' is something that every man says about things as they age. The old music was better. The old movies were better, etc. Don't allow yourself to get grumpy. Embrace the newer, better technology. Cave dwelling is for bats. Don't be an old bat.

And most importantly, live long enough to be an annoyance to anyone under 60! ;-)

gbrown
02-15-2012, 02:45 PM
'non-gun related' ? Like what? They do have historical and gun books, and GI surplus/militaria.
But NO flea market chinese junk.

Rio Grande:
What I was referring to was the numerous tables with army surplus--not of U.S. origin, leather goods (not holsters), survival foods, beef jerky and other foods, swords (non-military, foreign made and of questionable value), and clothing--not shooting nor hunting related. I am sorry if I offended you. Yes, the collectible guns were beautiful to see and yes there were quite a few guns offered, but far out numbered by other things listed above. I'm sorry if you and I do not share the same perspective. It would be difficult for me to ride my bike from Beaumont (100 miles). I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope you will continue to. My take, my opinion.

bowfin
02-15-2012, 03:02 PM
It’s sad to think about all the people walking past this old guy, too busy to look at cowboy stuff because they’re looking for deals on factory ammo and plastic guns. Maybe I’m the odd man out, but I thought it was pretty cool.

As I understand the history of gun shows, the original intent was to show guns. The draw was to see a virtual firearms museum with dozens of expert curators to tell you what, how, and why. Of course, their was swapping and selling, but that soon became the basis for having a gun show.

My most memorable gun show was when my (then) young son had his picture taken with the double rifle used in the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness", a story about the Maneaters of Tsavo. The owner was there mostly to show his guns, but he said they all had their price. The movie company had that particular rifle insured for $20,000, and the owner was hoping Val Kilmer dropped it off the bridge at that price.

The gentleman also had a revolver that a town marshal used to shoot up a couple of gamblers who tried to ambush him. Fortunately the marshal (a relative of his) had his dog with him, who tipped him off by attacking one assailant, mortally wounding him while his master put paid to the other one.

btroj
02-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Hey bowfin, any primers or powder for sale at the Columbus show these days? The shows in Lincoln and Fremont don't have much of that sort of stuff these days. Just a lot of high priced guns and mall ninjas.

looseprojectile
02-15-2012, 08:22 PM
held every month is a popular place for the old timers to hang out on weekends.
Two decent buys that I didn't get were a model 90 WRF pump, $295.00 and a model 12 20 gauge for $195.00. Two brain farts, let them pass.
Cost six dollars at the door and free parking within a hundred yards.
Must have been eight hundred or a thousand people there Saturday, could hardly get through the people.

Best part was after the show on Sunday a friend called me and said he had a box of stuff that he got at an estate sale. He had to work and couldn't get to the show to sell it.
Seven moulds. A H&G #36 38 wadcutter two cavity, A Saeco stamped NO 11/56/00, don't know what that means but it looks like 30 caliber GC with two different length boolits. Two different Ideal .357 SW moulds and a couple of moulds for the Colt cap and ball guns. One was made in Belgium and the other is a Colts Patent 36 caliber. And an Ideal .357 round ball two cavity.

The box also contained about four hundred once fired Federal .357 nickel brass and about a hundred and eighty .222 brass, two thousand small rifle primers. A peep sight that fits on a grooved 22 receiver a book and wrench for a Dan Wesson gun and a bunch of miscellaneous other stuff.

When we negotiated on price I expected him to ask three or four hundred.
I let him start and he said he gave $45.00 and would like to get $5.00 for delivering it. Was his birthday, I gave him $70.00 and said happy birthday and he was happy.
I can't wait to see what weight boolits the Saeco mould throws.
"It's a good thing" when people don't know what their stuff is worth.

Life is good

MT Gianni
02-15-2012, 09:04 PM
I met an old guy at a gun show about 20 years ago, but he was a little different from the old guys that 303british describes.

This guy was in his eighties, and he sat alone at a table with a pair of nickel plated Colt single-actions, a few concho-riddled cowboy accoutrements, and a binder filled with 8x10 glossy black and white publicity photos. I noticed that nobody was stopping at his table, at least while I was browsing in that row. When I got to his table, I stopped and talked to him for a while. It turns out that he was an extra in some of Tom Mix’s old westerns. At the time, the only thing I knew about Tom Mix was that my father and his brothers held him in high regard in their youth. The pictures showed him as a young man in his Hollywood cowboy gear. Some of the photos showed him with Tom Mix. The Colts, were either presented to him by Mix, or were once owned by him, I can’t recall which now. This old man had nothing for sell. He rented the table just to sit and share his stories and memorabilia with whomever would stop long enough to talk to him.

I met a man who knew Tom Mix.
I would have been thrilled. Of course my Jr High band played for Chill WIlls at a reception for something. I had no idea who he was but got an autographed picture. One of my favorite books is fictional "Tom Mix and Pancho Villa" where Clifford Irving sets a young Tom Mix in the middle of the Mexican Revolution.

DLCTEX
02-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Amarillo has a gun show this weekend sponsored by Amarillo Gun Collectors and the admission is $5 and free parking. Fellow forum member Malcom wants to go and I may go for the entertainment. I wasn't that impressed the last time I went. LP primers were $40 at one table and $25 at the next, that was two years ago. Too bad the supplier I need some materials from isn't open weekends so I could combine the 200 mile round trip.

starmac
02-16-2012, 02:41 PM
I haven't been to the gun show in amarillo in several years, but I used to like it I used to have a friend in chicago that would come down, and get me to take him, I figured the gun shows in the chicago must not have been too good. lol

He was 86 the last time I took him and he picked up four guns, I'm sure he is long gone from this world now, as I haven't been able to get a hold of him for around 12 years now.

William Yanda
02-19-2012, 11:56 AM
I went to the gun show in Rochester, NY a while back. $8 entry IIRC. Saw a lot of evil black guns, overpriced guns but nothing I wanted. Met a guy I used to work with. Dropped less than $20 at the yard sale next door for some items i ebayed. Doubled my money and still have a set of Craftsman ignition wrenches, 4 Craftsman chisels/punches and an almost new Stanley rule.

hanover67
02-19-2012, 09:49 PM
I wentt to the Crossroads of the West gun show in Vallejo,California last weekend. Parking was $7, and the entrance fee was another $10. The place was jammed with folks, so it was hard to navigate the aisles. But, there was a lot of over-priced stuff and non-gun merchandise. I wound up buying a used 1/2" wrench for $3, 50 rds of fired .30-30 brass for $7, and a 1923 nickel I'm going to cut in half and use for a front sight on my 1923 Colt Army special. The nickel cost $1.

I didn't have a goal in mind when I went, so I was pretty disappointed with the show overall. There wasn't even a good food vendor. That plus we've lost a lot of gun stores in this area, so there isn't a lot of choice/selection if I go gun shopping. And, the California list of "approved" guns means I can't get guns from out of state. I guess I'm lucky we still have a local range...