PDA

View Full Version : ?s on fire forming

Jim
03-15-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure where to post this so if I'm on the wrong board, please forgive me. I decided to come here 'cause y'all seem to know which end is up.
I'll be needing to fire form some new 7MM Rem. Mag. cases but I'd like to do this without launching missiles. Coupla years back, I heard somebody talking about fire forming by using a high speed pistol powder and some kind of disintegrating plug. I wanna say the guy was talking about using a wax plug, but I just can't remember.
If one of y'all could give me some details on this procedure, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim

Parson
03-15-2007, 10:56 PM
I use Bullseye and no plug of any kind except if I am going to be traveling much, then I just put a very small piece of tissue paper over the powder, just enough to keep it from spilling out if knocked around. As for amount, I'm guessing for your size case about 15 grains. While not applicable to your situation let me add this for those who may be interested. If you want to form something like a wild cat case, seldom will you get the edges of the shoulders to completly fill out, this is OK as they will when you use a bullet. If they are rounded then try a little more powder but go slow, doesnt take much. If you get split cases and you know your cases are anealed, increase the amount of powder (just the opposite as one might think). All I do when forming is put the approprate amount of powder (varies with case size) the small piece of tissue, chamber with barrel pointing straight up and fire. I have a friend that does it within the city limits and so far has gotten away with it (not that loud) but I go to the range

Jim
03-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Parson,
Interesting! No plug, huh? I was thinkin ya had to have some kinda plug to generate a little bit of resistance. To kinda kick that brass in the butt good and hard. So, the idea here is that when you light off the Bullseye, the pressure development from that alone will form the case to a chamber fit, huh?

Jim

tommag
03-15-2007, 11:23 PM
When making .450 Alaskan from .348 Win cases, I used 18 grs. of bullseye, 1/4 sheet of toilet paper, filled with corn-meal and pushed the case neck into a 1/4" wax.
I am not sure of the exact formula, but I think it was 20 percent of the capacity of the case to the neck of fast burning powder such as bullseye, red-dot, etc.
If you are not fireforming a wild-cat, why not just shoot what you have to fireform the case to your chamber. The fast burning powder/tissue/cornmeal-filler is a heck of a mess to clean.

garandsrus
03-16-2007, 12:01 AM
I fireformed 30-30 to .375 Win with 6 gr Red Dot and a case full of cornmeal, with a piece of tissue paper on top to keep from spilling. Keep the muzzle up and it works great...

John

Dale53
03-16-2007, 12:30 AM
I have also used this case forming method with Bullseye.

One caution: THESE LOADS CAN CAUSE SEVERE CONTACT WOUNDS.

Just to check, I held one close to a 2X4 and it caused serious surface damage, so just be careful where you point them.

I found I got better case forming by holding the rifle vertical (and be sure of your overhead clearance). As an old mortar man in the army, I learned about "Mass Clearance", and the same rules apply here.

Good luck!

Dale53

Jim
03-16-2007, 05:38 AM
Great information, guys! Thanks a bunch!

Tommag, as I said, I'll be fire forming NEW cases and I need to do this without bullets.

Jim

gunoholic
03-17-2007, 01:19 AM
I use 6 grains of ADI ap30 under corn meal with wax or tissue plug into a rolled up carpet (silencer) sitting in 1/2 bucket of water or sand to fireform my 7-30 waters cases.

boommer
03-17-2007, 02:10 AM
IF you are going to fire form aneal your cases to get them soft they form out better I just use any powder fast burning 10 -15 GRS and I use my old corn cobb media pack the top of your case with something to give a little back pressure (paper /wax )what ever easy to find. it will work just when you fire it point it in a safe direction

Jim
03-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Gunoholic,
Pretty slick trick there on fire forming into a rolled up carpet! I live in a community that's in the city limits. If I start fire forming around here, Johnny's gonna show up. "Get in the car, boy".

Jim

dombra
03-17-2007, 08:31 AM
What is fireforming?

TDB9901
03-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Reforming a case in a chamber, usually using a reduced charge of fast powder and either a light bullet, or a wad in place of a bullet.

Some examples would be, expanding the shoulder out for an "improved" case of the same caliber, or expanding the neck to make a larger caliber out of a parent case.... as in making a .35 Whelen case from 30-06.

gunoholic
03-17-2007, 09:04 PM
yes point in a safe direction!!.
this was a mouse shot in the hut where we were hunting. the load was 8g of vectan a1 and a wad of soap!!http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3432&stc=1&d=1174179346

Ricochet
03-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Pic's not there.

gunoholic
03-17-2007, 11:29 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3432&stc=1&d=1174179346
worked when clicked on it. anyhow its its ears, fur and guts

ace1001
03-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Straight Up is a safe direction outside and cream of wheat requires no cleaning at all. Look down the bore to be sure. The filler saves powder. 6 gr. of Red Dot usually will do it, but not all cartriges are the same at all, even within calibres. Military is thicker. Older was softer by may be workhardened. Some of them will split, but if they form, they are good. Some will take 2 charges to form, until you get it right. Ace

Jim
03-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Okiedoke, guys, I got it.
Thanks!