PDA

View Full Version : The things I have learned here

Archey
02-11-2012, 10:54 PM
I was in the middle of a great casting session when I looked around at everything on the casting bench and it occurred to me just how much I have learned from this place.

Looking around the casting bench, I had a bottle of Kroil that I used to "clean" the mould, a bottle of synthetic 2 stroke oil that I use to lube the sprue plate and alignment pins on the mould and a small pile of saw dust that I use for flux in the lee pot. I can contribute all of this directly to this site.

I was water dropping my boolits, (which I learned about here) so after they were dry, I tumble lubed them with a couple of light coats of Recluse lube (I would have never though about using floor wax to lube a boolit with out this site) .

After all of my casting was done, I prepped some brass with Lemi-Shine (never in a million years would I have thought to try a dishwasher additive to clean brass).

Tomorrow I will be loading up a bunch of ammo but not with the boolits I cast today because I now understand age hardening thanks to this site.

I started out casting thinking that I could make some cheap pinking rounds. After I found this site and appling all that I have learned, I realize that I can make better ammo than I can buy from basically scrap metals.

My many thanks to all members here.

stubshaft
02-12-2012, 12:35 AM
It is rewarding to see people that actually apply the knowledge gleaned from this site.

It is a start grasshopper. You must now teach others to carry on.

303Guy
02-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Synthetic 2-stroke oil! I'd forgotten about that. Now I've just learned something (re-learned) on here. It is indeed a great site (although sometimes it imposes even more questions ..... [smilie=1: ) Yup, it's probably THE best shooting site on the planet.

Archey
02-12-2012, 08:33 AM
It is realy funny when I think about my first casting before I found this site. I was melting WW in a barrowed lee pot, casting 38's from what I would now consider a cold mould. Lubing the sprue plate screw with a wax crayon per Lee's instuctions and woundering why I could not get nice looking boolits to drop. I cast a bunch of dirty ugly boolits but I still got hooked on casting. Good thing I stuck with it and researched it more.

WHITETAIL
02-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Like I have said before,
This forum has a lot of great
people.:drinks:
And they are willing to share.

1Shirt
02-13-2012, 04:35 PM
I never log on to this forum without learning something. Mostly it is something of value, and something I have not tried, or have not messed with in a long time. Not like what I learn at gun shows as was the topic of a thread not long ago.
1Shirt!

Cherokee
02-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Great site, although I've been casting 50 years, I learn things here all the time.

rintinglen
02-13-2012, 08:52 PM
+1 TO THAT!!! Hardly a week goes by that I either learn something new or else am reminded of something I once knew and have forgotten. I think I can safely say I learned more here in 4 years than I did in the first 10 years I was casting.

canyon-ghost
02-13-2012, 08:55 PM
I started out casting thinking that I could make some cheap pinking rounds. After I found this site and appling all that I have learned, I realize that I can make better ammo than I can buy from basically scrap metals.

^ That is not just whistlin' Dixie! Good for you!

largom
02-13-2012, 08:58 PM
This is now the ONLY forum on the web that I belong to. Why mess with the others when this one is the BEST.

Larry

Jim
02-13-2012, 09:09 PM
This is now the ONLY forum on the web that I belong to. Why mess with the others when this one is the BEST.

Larry

There are others?

Shiloh
02-14-2012, 12:47 AM
A LOT!!

I cast better, more consistent, more accurate boolits from info gleaned here.
When that didn't work, I sent PM's and got it that way.
Very nice and generous folks here.

Shiloh

BulletFactory
02-14-2012, 12:53 AM
This is the only one worth visiting. I would have given up long ago without you guys.

Rockchucker
02-14-2012, 09:28 AM
I like it also, and have learned a lot from the great folks here in the 3 years I've been a member, just gotta learn to stay outta trouble and watch my feet, they seem to find a way up to my mouth.heehee