PDA

View Full Version : LEE 10# bottom poor problem

Harv33
02-11-2012, 09:15 PM
I looked in the Stickies and didn't find much on the LEE other than "Drip".
My pot all of a sudden won't get hot enough to melt the lead. I put it on setting
"8"(800) and the hottest it will get is about 3.5 (350 deg.) according to where the thermostat makes and breaks. The two elements on the thermostat that touch and the - heat sensitive wire - ? stay in contact all the time as it should untill it reaches the correct set temperature, I assume. The heating element draws about 6 amps. I have it apart and ohmed out the heating element at 28 ohms
Any of you fellows been down this road ?. :?

jsizemore
02-11-2012, 10:08 PM
The numbers have nothing to do with actual temperature. How much lead is in the pot?

02-11-2012, 11:09 PM
A few months back, my 10-pound Lee furnace died. Mechanically, the "thermostat's" contact points were opening and closing -- big deal. Disassembled the pot and found the heating element to be in three pieces. Bought a new element, from Lee, and all is well.

I have no idea what a working element's resistance is -- contact Lee, maybe they know.

Have you checked for voltage at the "thermostat" contacts and the input side of the heating element? About a year-ago, the pot quit working, for the first time. Electrical checks uncovered a break in the AC line, where it is held in place by the strain relief.

454PB
02-11-2012, 11:26 PM
28 ohms equals 515 watts, and a 6amp draw would equal 720 watts. As I recall, the 10 pound Lee pot is supposed to have a 500 watt element, which agrees with the resistance you measured. They use a rather cheesy thermostat on the Lee pots, it is probably the culprit. If it was my pot, I'd remove the thermostat and do an inspection.

I have one that is over 30 years old, and I've never had a problem with it.

Harv33
02-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the replies !!. I will get to the heating element today now that I have more time. I see LEE does carry parts for this lead pot.. At least they are easy to disassemble and the parts are reasonably priced. The numbers on the knob control are very close to the reading on my lead meter temperature probe by the way !!. Ill get back with the results..

Frozone
02-12-2012, 03:37 PM
The numbers on the knob control are very close to the reading on my lead meter temperature probe by the way !!. Ill get back with the results..

If the element ohms out it is good.
The problem is likely the "infinite control".

I have a spare I was going to put up as PIF.
It's yours if you want it.
PM address to send it to. And please post a PIF to 'pay' for it.

BTW, ANY relation of the scale on the pot to actual lead temp is purely a coincidence.

454PB
02-12-2012, 04:46 PM
BTW, ANY relation of the scale on the pot to actual lead temp is purely a coincidence.

True!

As an example, I tested mine using and RCBS lead thermometer. I actually own 3 Lee pots, two 10 pounders and a pro-4-20. One of the 10 pounders is used for ladle casting and has the pour spout brazed closed, but the other one measures 700 degrees when the thermostat is set at 3.5. The pro-4-20 measures 650 degrees when set at 6.5. This is probably not useful to other Lee pot owners, I think each individual thermostat will vary.

On the plus side, mine hold the temperature within about 25 degrees once set and stablized.

Harv33
02-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the info ,, I disconnected the wires from the heating element, eliminating the thermostat then hooked the heating element directly to the 110 ac.
Left it on for 20 min. and still not hot enough to melt the lead. Put my Temp. meter probe on the pot next to the heater and max temp was about 400 deg.
My money is on the bad heater. I ordered one from LEE. I should have done all this yesterday but the gears weren't meshing in my last remaining brain cell. :oops: Old and Fuzzy !!.

Harv33
02-18-2012, 08:32 PM
My problem was the heater. I put the new one in and it heats up perfect now. So bypassing the thermostat directly to the heater connections is an easy way to see wich one is the culprit. LEE was super fast on shipping !!!
I found some Kaowool - Ceramic Filter blanket - at Baileypottery.com ,you can buy a piece 1'x2'x1" for $8.18 plus postage. Thought I'd try insulating the pot and see what difference it makes..

454PB
02-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Seems strange that you got a proper resistance reading if the heating element was bad.

wrench man
02-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Glow plugs in a diesel engine will do the same thing, a meter or test light will tell you they are good, but direct conetion on the battery will tell you they're bad.

Harv33
02-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Yes, but I believe the resistance can change as it gets hot,, wire wound resisters and transformers will do the same thing. Thanks for the replies tho !!.
BAILEY POTTERY,,I mentioned that Bailey Pottery had a pretty good price on the Kaowool,,,, However I find out it costs $17.00 to ship a very light 1'x2'x1" piece of the wool. After you order it, they tell you what the shipping price is. So it is something to consider. I guess they are selling postage as well as their goods..:Fire:
I enjoy this forum !!

Harv33
02-20-2012, 01:13 PM
OOOPS !! frozone,, thank you very much for the offer of the thermostat, I think I'm good to go for now!! [smilie=2: