PDA

View Full Version : Wax / Glue Bullets - I Have To Ask...

DODGEM250
02-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Doesn't this make a complete mess in your barrel ?

I understand the theory, but, I this wax/plastic bullet thing bothers me. I can not image practical, consecutive, use of these materials down a hot barrel. Learn me something about why even bother with these materials. I just don't get it.

Mooseman
02-11-2012, 09:41 AM
I guess you never used the old CCI "Red Jets" that were a wax bullet for 45 acp and primer fired. They were for indoor shooting practice into a padded box. They didnt heat the barrel so they left no residue except for burnt primer gunk.
I never used glue stick bullets but they seem similar to a red jet in texture.
Red Jets would blow a rat in two at 10-15 ft and would penetrate venetian blinds and window screens...don't ask me how I know.

Rich

Jim
02-11-2012, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=DODGEM250;1585053]Doesn't this make a complete mess in your barrel ?.....QUOTE]

No more than cast boolits will lead a barrel IF IT'S DONE PROPERLY. There's a very long thread in 'Classics and Stickies' called 'Casting Hot Glue Boolits'. If you read the thread, you will find a very specific and detailed procedure for making and loading 'gluelits'. If you follow this procedure, you can successfully shoot gluelits without gunking up the barrel.

The problem comes in when self made, overnight experts start deviating from an established procedure and decide they have a better way. Then they make videos to teach newcomers to this practice something that doesn't work. A classic, college level text book example of the blind leading the blind. Go lube your cast boolits with saliva, chicken squat or WD-40 and see what happens to your barrel.

I and several other members began research and development on this back in late 2006. Many hours were invested in developing the procedure. It has been proven and done many hundreds of times over and I still make, load and shoot gluelits and there's nothing wrong with the barrels of the firearms I shoot them in because I FOLLOW AN ESTABLISHED AND PROVEN PROCEDURE.

DODGEM250
02-11-2012, 10:12 AM
I guess you never used the old CCI "Red Jets" that were a wax bullet for 45 acp and primer fired. They were for indoor shooting practice into a padded box. They didnt heat the barrel so they left no residue except for burnt primer gunk.
Red Jets would blow a rat in two at 10-15 ft and would penetrate venetian blinds and window screens...don't ask me how I know.

Rich

umm, no. Not a clue, this is why I'm asking LOL

DODGEM250
02-11-2012, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=DODGEM250;1585053]Doesn't this make a complete mess in your barrel ?.....QUOTE]

No more than cast boolits will lead a barrel IF IT'S DONE PROPERLY. There's a very long thread in 'Classics and Stickies' called 'Casting Hot Glue Boolits'. If you read the thread, you will find a very specific and detailed procedure for making and loading 'gluelits'. If you follow this procedure, you can successfully shoot gluelits without gunking up the barrel.

The problem comes in when self made, overnight experts start deviating from an established procedure and decide they have a better way. Then they make videos to teach newcomers to this practice something that doesn't work. A classic, college level text book example of the blind leading the blind. Go lube your cast boolits with saliva, chicken squat or WD-40 and see what happens to your barrel.

I and several other members began research and development on this back in late 2006. Many hours were invested in developing the procedure. It has been proven and done many hundreds of times over and I still make, load and shoot gluelits and there's nothing wrong with the barrels of the firearms I shoot them in because I FOLLOW AN ESTABLISHED AND PROVEN PROCEDURE.

I will certainly check that out. I personally have no intentions of making a wax, or glue bullet, but, it does interest me a little enough to ask for some details. I just don't see the process being worth the time involved, nor, do I grasp the concept of sending a glob of snot down my barrel.

If the wax / glue is hard enough to pass without clogging the barrel, I guess for those pistol shooters who can use the process for target plinking it is ok. I am amazed that it doesn't gunk the bore.

Mooseman
02-11-2012, 10:18 AM
I guessed Right !!! lol

DODGEM250
02-11-2012, 10:20 AM
I guessed Right !!! lol

Woot ?? LOL

BossHoss
02-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Hot Glue Boolits are great.

I cast them with a Hot Glue Gun in a 452389 mold for shooting my 45 SAA into a padded target....just like the vintage Speer Practice Bullets I have.

I have not read the sticky, just did it on my own.

Selected a few cases to punch out the primer hole, making them glue bullet specific.

Lol. I am sure some experts here have set procedure , not to be deviated from...cough, cough.

part of the fun was learning to do it myself, without the experts. Cough, cough.

That said, wax bullets are used in quickdraw, SASS, cowboy shooting, there is lot of info, and a lot of self appointed experts to glean facts from.

We have a lot of non-PC, non-safe fun with them. Dressed in Motocross protective gear, with riot face shields, you can have REAL DUELS....LOL.

Of course, this in NON-PC and Non-Safe . But , you can find out who REALLY is the fastest in your clan. AND settle minor disputes.....lol.

I will be flamed for this post, but then again, someone's idea of fun , is not always shared by some who never experienced real fun.

Jim
02-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Boss, a Ricola might help that cough.

Longwood
02-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Casting glue bullets is fun, cheap and so simple anyone could do it.
Squirting hot glue into a mold with a release agent is not rocket sience.
Like most things, there are more ways than one to skin a cat.
Do your own experimenting to see what you come up with.

Hint;
It is very simple to make them more accurate and have a much longer effective range.

williamwaco
02-11-2012, 07:05 PM

Rich

I have heard they will also put a really hard to explain hole in a sheet rock wall. ( So I have been told. )

DODGEM250
02-11-2012, 11:16 PM

I cast them with a Hot Glue Gun in a 452389 mold for shooting my 45 SAA into a padded target....just like the vintage Speer Practice Bullets I have.

Selected a few cases to punch out the primer hole, making them glue bullet specific.

Lol. I am sure some experts here have set procedure , not to be deviated from...cough, cough.

part of the fun was learning to do it myself, without the experts. Cough, cough.

That said, wax bullets are used in quickdraw, SASS, cowboy shooting, there is lot of info, and a lot of self appointed experts to glean facts from.

We have a lot of non-PC, non-safe fun with them. Dressed in Motocross protective gear, with riot face shields, you can have REAL DUELS....LOL.

Of course, this in NON-PC and Non-Safe . But , you can find out who REALLY is the fastest in your clan. AND settle minor disputes.....lol.

I will be flamed for this post, but then again, someone's idea of fun , is not always shared by some who never experienced real fun.

I agree, I'm sure that making a glue bullet or pouring wax into a cold mold is a really though thing, and in my personal opinion, if you spend more time than it takes to melt the wax or glue on this process, you've spent too much time.

Wax I might consider putting down my barrel, hot melt glue... not a chance in hell.

As far as the "if it's done properly" reply, no offense, but, it's wax. Melt it, pour it.

I'm more interested in the mess it might leave behind in the barrel moreso than the economics or low power target shooting properties. It seems more practical to buy one of those kiddie air soft guns like my nephews have to do what the final outcome of a wax or glue bullet provides in actual shooting.

Lizard333
02-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Having used the plastic cases and plastic projectiles, you can get them from speer, they will go through drywall!! 5/8 to be exact. I have the whole the ceiling of my garage to prove it. Shooting projectiles with just a primer is fun, just don't take it lightly!!

Ozarklongshot
02-11-2012, 11:33 PM

We did this in the early 80's just a sheet of parafin about 3/8 inch thick IIRC and stabbed primed 38 cases in and cookie cut them right in. MX gear and lots of padding and it was still an incredibly stupid stunt. Hey we didn't have paintball ! whats a redneck supposed to do. I still remember some very painful bruising from being the second fastest draw.
Think I still got a box of red-jets round here somewhere.

P.C. Disclaimer: This is a stupid dumb stunt and could seriously injure or maim. I survived by the grace of God and just dumb luck

MikeS
02-12-2012, 05:07 AM
I've shot a few home made gluelits, and while it works fine, I found that I prefer to shoot X-Ring rubber bullets for indoor primer only shooting. They're available in 38, 44, and 45 sizes (they might even be available in 40 now, I don't know). They're made either from rubber, or probably a soft rubber like plastic, and they're reusable for many shots. I have 6 45Colt cases that I drilled out the primer hole (you need to make the flash hole larger so the primers don't back out, once this is done, the brass can only be used for primer only shooting), and while I have a box of either 50 or 100 (I forget how many come in a box) I generally reuse the same 6 bullets over and over (I've shot some of them over 20 times), so they're economical, and no worries about getting the bore gunked up (if you worry about that). I bought the X-Ring before trying the gluelits, so I don't know which way I would go if I was starting from scratch, I might stick with the X-Ring bullets, they work really well.

Mooseman
02-12-2012, 06:17 AM
I have had these for over 30 years...

Even has a bullet trap plan on the box !

BossHoss
02-12-2012, 08:32 AM
I have the Speer Practice bullets.....lol.

Yes, IT IS STUPID to shoot these at each other, it could kill if the right artery is ruptured.

We have done it, and it was a riot, but it could go wrong in a bad way, so we do it at 50 feet.

Yup, parafin wax cake with 38s pushed in.....will damage drywall, it's shocking, for primer only.

Hot Glue, is best IMO. I have recovered many from our trap....the ones that make it to it.....

Many times they just bounce off the armor , I have had them come back as far at 40ft from the 50 ft range. Hot glue left less of a mess , the waxies created one in two places...

the 452389 is perfect for both 45acp and 45LC.

If only someone had a "paint" bullet for centerfire primer only. hmmmmm......

SlippShodd
02-12-2012, 02:44 PM
I must've missed out on the Red Jets, but I do have some vintage Speer Target 44 and 38 cartridges, the ones with the black plastic bullet and red cartridge case that you can seat a primer in with your fingers. The 38s will penetrate a wooden hollow core door when fired the length of a standard 2-car garage. Unfortunately.
I also have a few of the X-Ring rubber bullets, but never use them... too hard to find when I miss.
As previously stated elsewhere, my preferred indoor load is simply cake-cuttering a 1/2" sheet of parafin with the cartridge case of choice and shooting an IPSC target with a 3/4" particle board backstop. As the other Mike stated, they play hell on sheetrock. And they'll crush a mouse at 6 feet. :rolleyes: For the calibers I play inside with, I use Blazer aluminum cases with the flash hole drilled out, the only practical use I've found for these things other than aluminum scrap salvage.
And for the naysayers out there, consider this: Bill Jordan and others like him had a lot of fun and taught a lot of people about gun handling by putting on demonstrations around the country using wax bullet loads. I watched such a demonstration in my high school auditorium back when I did my homework on the back of a shovel with a hunk of charcoal. It's rumored that Bill's garage had no discernably intact sheetrock hanging on its walls.
Also, the Fast Draw champions of the world are not decided using live ammo, rather with wax loads that are far more sophisticated than what I'm willing to assemble. I'd be willing to bet real money those guys practice a bit with their parafin projectiles without worry for their bores.

mike

Shooter6br
03-15-2012, 05:18 PM
As a prior post I use glue sticks to make 45ACP WC's i bought 20 4 inch sticks at a craft store(AC Moore) for $1 . I can make 200 projectiles ( can be recovered and reused of course) Major cost is the primer. With good weather coming I just go to the range, but in the bad weather i get some trigger pracice in the basrment.

fcvan
03-15-2012, 09:18 PM
I have made and enjoyed shooting glue for a couple years, and wax for a couple decades. The glueblits need lube and the most effective I have found (for me) is to pan lube with regular home made boolit lube. I dip them in the hot lube and set them on wax paper. I have been able to reload the glueblits several times with enough lube retained to keep shooting without re lubing.

I recently changed up on my wax boolits by mixing canning wax, wax toilet ring, and vegetable oil to soften the wax. I got the idea from the website. Anyway, the softer wax is easier to push the cases into and doesn't shatter on impact. They mushroom and stick making them easier to collect and re melt.

Glueblits are time consuming to make but immediately re-loadable. Wax is easy to but won't chamber easily in semi-automatics. I use the glueblits in 9MM and .40 to train friends using their firearms for familiarity. Sure, you have to cycle the slide each time but it is still practical training with your own side arm.

To the poster who queried marking paint rounds - they already exist. Before retiring, I was on our version of SWAT. Our sidearms were Glock 40s and we trained with simunition rounds in the Glock 17T training gun. The rounds also fired in the AR 15s with special barrels. Anyway, the Glock 17T is a blue framed blowback that only shoots the Simunition rounds. Yes, we shot each other wearing proper safety equipment but they still stung! The Sim rounds cost as much as regular ammunition but were invaluable for room clearing/hostage recovery drills.

For home use, wax and glue is cheaper and revolvers are my preference. Frank