PDA

View Full Version : Casting for a Kahr p380

boltons75
02-11-2012, 03:25 AM
I just read somewhere that I shouldn't shoot cast boolits from my wife's Kahr p380, because of the rifling. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I hope not, really want to be able to cast for this gun as well. I have the mold, ready to cast, I just want to make sure I'm not going to damage the gun. Something to do with polygonal rifling.

Sent from my rooted, mikg'd, aggressive freedom'd Evo 4g.

finishman2000
02-11-2012, 06:40 AM
i have two k9's and do get some good (bad) leading shooting my cast through them. still accurate but i'll only shoot less than 100 rds before cleaning the barrel. you may be able to play with the size of them...slightly larger... to get a better seal. since they are more of a carry gun for me it doesn't bother me, i don't shoot them as much as my other 9mm's.

boltons75
02-11-2012, 08:53 AM
i have two k9's and do get some good (bad) leading shooting my cast through them. still accurate but i'll only shoot less than 100 rds before cleaning the barrel. you may be able to play with the size of them...slightly larger... to get a better seal. since they are more of a carry gun for me it doesn't bother me, i don't shoot them as much as my other 9mm's.

I also read that the K and P series use a different type of poly rifling. Guess I'll just have to shoot it and see the results.

Any suggestions on how much over the bore size I should size the boolits? Should it be the same as standard rifling?

bobthenailer
02-11-2012, 06:21 PM
I have 2, Kahr's a PM9 and a P45 both have polygonal rifling, after shooting about 100 jacketed bullets through either i went directly to cast only for pratice , I only usually shoot 100 cast bullets at a time from them and then clean the gun , and have no problem with shooting cast in mine . Just keep a eye on the bore for severe lead fouling . Every gun is different so shoot 50 and ck for leading . a worn 35 cal bronze brush wrapped with strands of copper pot scrubber such as (CURLEY KATE ) these will remove the lead in a few pases .
beware of copper plated steel pot scrubbers , ck with a magnet ! they are to hard for the bore and might scratch it

boltons75
02-13-2012, 02:51 AM
Still want to know, how far over the bore size should I size the bullets for this kind of rifling? Is it the same as land and groove rifling?

finishman2000
02-13-2012, 08:28 AM
the chamber will only allow you a certain size bullet. once at it's limit the round won't chamber or feed properly. i would try 358 and see if they feed ok. if not 357 then.