PDA

View Full Version : Upset Father

Boz330
02-10-2012, 09:27 AM
I did some things when I was a kid that in retrospect I am sorry for and thought that I was right at the time But I sure wouldn't have done anything like this. My dad would have not been quite as generous as this guy if I had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1ujzRidmU

Bob

x101airborne
02-10-2012, 11:32 AM
I would have been swung around by the arm and beaten with an extension cord or a wet rope. No doubt. And by the time my dad was getting out of jail, my new address better be under a rock in Indo-China.

Bet it felt good for him to let off some steam.

DLCTEX
02-10-2012, 11:48 AM
No one can inflict pain like someone you love.

Ickisrulz
02-10-2012, 01:55 PM
He seems like a concerned involved father. But, here’s why I wouldn’t have done what he did:

There was no need for public humiliation. Kids say dumb stuff about their parents they don’t really mean. It shouldn’t be taken to heart. Private punishment of limited duration would have made the point. Punishments should be thought out after you’re done being angry when dealing with teenagers.

Taking out a gun and shooting a computer will be interpreted in various ways. The worst being, “That psycho solves issues using his gun. Is his daughter safe?”

The daughter is going to need a computer as some point in the very near future for schoolwork. What then?

I would not let my kids have unsupervised computer access anyway. Computers must be kept in common areas so parents can look over their shoulder at anytime. Want a “Facebook” account? Sure…but I’m your “friend.”

runfiverun
02-10-2012, 02:05 PM
i couldn't find the video that started the whole thing.
i'm pretty sure she can't either :lol:
wow,just.... wow.
i'm pretty sure he's gonna be in trouble somehow....charged with attempted parenting or something.

ErikO
02-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Further proof that it's bad to be dumb on the intertubes when daddy works in IT. :D

rockrat
02-10-2012, 03:36 PM
I am sure the nose-in-the-air, holier-than-thou liberal types will throw a fit and try and get his kids taken away from him, because he used a gun.

I think I would have either burned it (actually an unusable one that looks like the kids--kept the thing for later when the kid got a bit smarter) or wiped it clean and donated it somewhere.

Too bad he couldn't have figured out a way, since he was an IT person, to lock out facebook and other social sites so she could still use it for school.

Bit over the top, but I would have been just as ticked off as he was, but would wait a few days before I did anything. The phone would have been gone. She could buy one with her own money from her job, if she ever got one. No job, no phone.

Parents are not as dumb as the kids think, if they think at all

bowfin
02-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Wipe it clean and give it to some kid who could use it and appreciate it.

I'm not saying he was wrong, since it is his kid and his stuff, but I'm a fan of killing two birds with one stone.

canyon-ghost
02-10-2012, 03:52 PM
I applaud this man! He knows a thing or two, you cannot circumvent firepower with electronics. Loved every minute of it. Just saw it myself.

http://youtu.be/kl1ujzRidmU

jcwit
02-10-2012, 03:57 PM
In todays world I'm glad my kids are grown and have their own families.

Ickisrulz
02-10-2012, 03:59 PM
I am sure the nose-in-the-air, holier-than-thou liberal types will throw a fit and try and get his kids taken away from him, because he used a gun.

I don't think it would be too hard in today's climate. There are some who will see his actions as extreme and unbalanced. He made a video to embarass his daughter, posted it for all to see on the internet and then destroyed an expensive personal possession of his daughter using a firearm to teach her a lesson. I will bet he at least gets a visit from Child Protective Services.

Whether we like it or not guns are a hot button item. They are not seen as a tool anymore.

canyon-ghost
02-10-2012, 04:17 PM
I have a feeling that he bought that laptop for her. I'd say he shot his own laptop there.

Reload3006
02-10-2012, 04:23 PM
I have a feeling that he bought that laptop for her. I'd say he shot his own laptop there.

Yep according to him she wouldnt work or even apply for a job I would bet you are 100% correct.

All the lord blessed me with was boys but one day my son didn't agree with the way we were living in our home. And he proceeded to chew me out. I calmly looked at him and asked excuse me "how many house payments have you made since we started living here?" he said none. Then I asked how many electric bills have you paid he said none. I said how about gas bills he said none. I said ok you have lived here several years past your 18th birthday and you haven't paid a single payment or bill where do you get off telling me how I am going to live in my own house. If you dont like the way we live in this house your welcome to leave it at any time you wish.

Freightman
02-10-2012, 04:32 PM
I have raised two boys and am told girls are different, don't know about that. Both of my sons are gainfully employed, and have raised families of there own who are all in collage and respect there parents. Some where something wasn't taught or paid attention to and had to be handled. I am not to sure a gun was the answer as it is out there for the world to see and then accuse all of us as reactionaries and dangerous people. Might have been like my dad did me, got too many tickets, he took my car keys and laid them on my dresser and said you can't drive your car for two weeks then went on vacation and left me to work at my job when I was in high school. Did I use the car? NO why? respect and fear. and I had been taught both.

firefly1957
02-10-2012, 04:57 PM
SHE IS VERY LUCKY HER FATHER IS NOT A MUSLIM Chances are her dead body would never be found and the school would just be told she went back to the homeland. I am waiting for the media to make a issue of this they would not if he was a muslim.

canyon-ghost
02-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Reload3006, my Dad always told me that it was his roof over my head. That was usually all I needed to know!

Ickisrulz
02-10-2012, 05:28 PM

I'm sure he did buy that laptop...and give it to her. If someone gives you something it's still your possession. In a parent/child relationship the line might be blurred a little. But I'd bet the computer was one of her most prized items and she'll have a hard time looking past its destruction and seeing where she was in the wrong. I'd bet she sees her fathers as even more unreasonable now.

Will he teach her responsibility or will she lose respect for him? If I wanted to earn people's respect I'd start by not breaking their stuff.

If I decided to break my kid's things, I'd not make a video of it and I'd not use a gun. Especially with a busy road in full view behind me.

This father is going to lose in the long run if this is typical behavior. She'll either run away or be taken away.

Ickisrulz
02-10-2012, 05:30 PM
SHE IS VERY LUCKY HER FATHER IS NOT A MUSLIM Chances are her dead body would never be found and the school would just be told she went back to the homeland. I am waiting for the media to make a issue of this they would not if he was a muslim.

I'm sure this video will make the rounds on Fox and be discussed.

If the media ignores Muslim's killing their daughters, how do we know about it?

crabo
02-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Nice group!

Junior1942
02-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Reload3006, my Dad always told me that it was his roof over my head. That was usually all I needed to know!Good one!

MajorJim
02-10-2012, 06:41 PM
The man needs to get into casting. A buck apiece for those hollow point rounds.

bob208
02-10-2012, 06:41 PM
on another site i got my butt handed to me for agreeing with the father.

Freightman
02-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Why? I might not agree with him or you but it is all my opinion and you are entitled to yours. That is what i hate about some sites they condemn if you look at anything different. That is why I hang out here different points of views are allowed and we are all still friends.

firefly1957
02-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Ickisrulz The main media does ignore honor killings at least they go out of the way to hide the reason . Fortunately there are still other sources for news a lot of it is only getting out in blogs??? Who would of guessed they would break news/give the real story when the main media will not.

If anyone catches it for supporting this guy remind those that do not approve that if this guy was a muslim she would be headless!

41 mag fan
02-10-2012, 07:47 PM

I'd tell them to stick it up their a**.

That father did a heck of alot better than I would have...
I can relate totally to how he feel and what he was thinking.
These days kids are all pretty much like this guys daughter is, but not all kids. They have no respect for anything or anyone.
One of the main reasons for this, is just like this guy...his daughter has everything.
She didn't have to work, physically for money to get it, it was given to her on a platter.
Sadly my kids were the same way, I'm sure glad they're gone!!
Our daughter had pretty much the same chores as this guys daughter, except we didn't care if she made her bed.
But our daughter couldn't get it thru her head, don't lie to us....you do something wrong, your grades aren't going to be good for the quarter, where you and your boyfriend will be at in case we need to get ahold of you... tell us the truth.
Between the lying and sneaking around, and the temper tantrums because she didn't get her way, I said enoughs enough. 1 month after graduation...it's time to leave.
That was a little over 2 yrs ago.....she's realizing..wait mom and dad were pretty right on the money about things..and I didn't have it so bad after all living at home. She's now coming around alot....and humbly.

Now our boy...totally different than our daughter..pretty much....He told us what was going on and we didn't have any problems there.
And he'd work....as long as it was something he liked to do.
He had chores just like our daughter, but with him it was like this guys daughter. We'd get so frustrated, constant having to tell him...feed the outside dog.....daily, take out the trash, sweep the kitchen floor, take trash to the road.
Finally it got so bad all he did was trash and dog...so it took 3 minutes to feed the dog...( I timed me doing it) take out trash, maybe 2-3 times a week, take trash to the road...every Monday. Even this we had to remind him.
Dog he thought could get fed whenever..2am, 10pm, or not at all. We went round and round about that. And he was 19 to boot !!

I got him his job at the mine with me back in Sept, that lasted till this past New Yrs eve when he got a ph call from the contractor he worked thru, that he no longer had a job at the mine.
19yrs old, making $650-$750/week bring home, and he blew it because he didn't like doing curtain work on the unit he was on....same stuff he pulled here at home, he didn't like doing it, he'd slack.
Unfortunatley, I couldn't save his butt, if I hadn't of been off for a little over 2 months, with my position at the mine, I could have.
So I gave him 1 week, find a job.....4 days later, I caught him sneeking back in after we'd left for work. He was sneeking back in and going back to bed, till it was about time for me to get home, then he'd leave and come back later acting like he'd been out all day job searching. At least he didn't lie to me about that when I caught him.
But enough was enough....I pointed to the door, and said don't get any road rash when you leave.
It'd been coming for a long time, I got tired of the arguements and not being able to get him to do the 3 things he was supposed to, without being told.
He'll figure it out one of these days, after he's filled his wild streak, but till then he can do it on his own, in his own place, or wherever he's staying at.

starmac
02-10-2012, 07:50 PM
I think he did right as long as HE doesn't give in and buy her another one. It is against popular belief, but kids don't have to have a computer, now if she was old enough to have her own computer, she is old enough to have a job. I done things a little different with mine, if they thought they wanted things like that, they worked and paid for at least half, and when they goofed up, I didn't destroy it. I just told them too destroy it themselves.

Ickisrulz
02-10-2012, 08:01 PM
The man needs to get into casting. A buck apiece for those hollow point rounds.

Those were "exploding hollow points." Can you cast those?

leftiye
02-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Dern, ain't we good at criticizing? He should have taken the computer and cell phone back, laid out some real work for her to earn money by doing, and told her just what he pays every month to keep her spoiled harse fed, clothed, sheltered and supplied with toys, plus allowance, and then told her to start earning that much or start going without summa them thangs.

MajorJim
02-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Those were "exploding hollow points." Can you cast those?

Very carefully.....

Finster101
02-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Been there done that. Not quite as colorfully. Stepdaughter was in trouble and had no phone privilege. Loverboy thought it would be slick to give her his cell. He got it back in a bag after I beat it with a hammer. A day later the wife caught him hiding in her room (she sneeked him in after school before we got home) The wife got him out of the house while I was in the shower and before I found out. Smart woman ! Till you have been there, you don't know what you would do. You might think you do. Hope you don't have to find out. Could be it bothers him so much cause he gives a damn about her and his name.

James

Moonie
02-10-2012, 10:25 PM
I have 5 daughters and 3 sons, the youngest 3 just watched that video (the rest are grown), they didn't say a word, I'm thinking they thought she got off easy.

waksupi
02-11-2012, 01:55 AM
It comes to mind many years ago when I was a teenager. I came home way later than I was supposed to, and went to bed. In the morning when I got up, all four wheels and tires were missing from my car. They didn't show up again for a week. I was a bit more prompt after that.

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-11-2012, 02:22 AM
I want to see the other side of the laptop...

a.squibload
02-11-2012, 02:36 AM
One time my Dad threatened to take away my motorcycle (that I paid for).

I almost said something...

Rafe Covington
02-11-2012, 02:53 AM
As far as I am concerned she got off easy.

Rafe

MBTcustom
02-11-2012, 02:56 AM
I would do the same thing.
Exactly.
Probably wouldn't have posted it on facebook, but thats his prerogative.
If my daugter ever does something like that the computer is toast. and the phone. Life would be pretty miserable for her for a while.
But thats my parenting style. I'm going to enjoy the things that I have worked for and the company of those around me. If she wants to be a part of that then harmony will abound. If she doesn't, I dont have time to be miserable with her, she's going to carry that burden alone.
Many have disagreed with this fellow for his choice of action. I don't. The only thing I disapprove of is that the computer was his and he gave it to her, along with a whole bunch of other stuff I'm thinkin. I know parents that raise their kids that way, and they are foolish to assume that their children actually appreciate any of it. I'm hoping that if I start early, expecting my daughter to display the maturity that she is capable of, that we can get around some of this foolishness.
I treat my daughter the same way I treat everyone, I expect a lot and I give a lot, but I never encourage anyone to take advantage of my kindness, especially not my own child. She gets a roof, food, medicine, and all the love a dad can have for a daughter. She does not get a free ride on anything more than that.
Human nature is human nature, no matter who it is. Every home has a master and in most of the homes I see, the kids are that person. The parents work their buts off to "provide for" their kids, but all I see is that the master of the home has some slaves that will do anything to make sure that the kid doesn't have to break a sweat or experience any form of pain.
I'm afraid its too late for this fella. He has protected his kid from the real world for so long, that she's got it in her head that life owes her a free ride. Its gonna take a lot more than shooting a laptop to get her straitened out at this point. I hope he can get her on the right track, but he's going to have to change his whole parenting style.

starmac
02-11-2012, 04:30 AM
I reckon it is better than having an upset mother like this. Lots of kids don't realize how good life is.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/an-honor-beating-in-arizona-iraqi-woman-arrested-after-beating-tying-her-daughter-to-bed-for-talking-to-man/

Stephen Cohen
02-11-2012, 05:31 AM
I saw this on the news, earlier, of cause. the way it was shown the dad was the bad guy. I recon he did the right thing, maybe a few years too late. now to get my wife.
to watch it, and change, her pandering,to her 24yr old deliquent daughter.

arjacobson
02-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Read some of the replies... These idiots are talking about SHOOTING the dad with his own gun.. I think it's great what he did. I would like to find this guys address. I will send him some more 45's for that 1911 of his!!

raingauge
02-11-2012, 12:33 PM
There is an update:
http://www.litefm.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=421220&article=9744152

firefly1957
02-11-2012, 02:17 PM
The guy may not know much about guns I am sure he meant expanding hollow points. KTW used to make exploding hollow points. I knew a LEO that used them on his neighbors pitbull the second time it got in his yard he said they were very impressive. (He was still in court from the first time the dog was in the yard trying to recover $600 vet bill for his own dog)

Tazman1602
02-11-2012, 04:23 PM
That guy is a hero. I have been there and done almost that. That little irresponsible, arrogant, disrespectful witch deserved and EARNED every word and bullet.

I once used my daughters cellphone as skeet while she watched.........along with several CD's by a group I hate named "Korn"...................

When my son (now 29) told me at 14 -- when they started teaching the kids here that their parents could not hit them without getting put in jail, that if I laid a hand on him he was going to call the police and have me put in jail, I simply explained to him that if I was going to jail it was going to be for a good reason and he could be reasonably assured that I was going to get out of jail before he got out of the hospital.................

.........argument ended..............

...........and if someone on another forum reamed me about posting that guy? I'd have told them to STUFFIT....................

Art

Recluse
02-11-2012, 07:28 PM
What is most telling, and most discouraging, are the comments on YouTube from all the spoiled little nimrods who think parents, adults and our generation OWE them.

That's why when I run across someone like Ben's friend, Dustin, or some of the young people who are either members here or the children of members, I'll bend over backwards to help them.

I'm afraid there is no helping a large percentage of today's "occupy, you owe-me-mentality" youth and that the line between "us and them" is only being drawn deeper and more rigid.

Their choice.

:coffee:

DLCTEX
02-11-2012, 09:37 PM
My 20 year old son said "apparently some parents still care if their children are spoiled brats". He speaks from experience. It took some hard love to turn him around and I took criticism ranging from too tough to too easy on him. My response was that I prayed, cried, agonized, and sweated blood over my decision and I would stand before God knowing I'd done my best. Thank God he's doing excellent now and is a man to be proud of. I won't judge the man as I've never walked in his shoes in his particular situation.

ErikO
02-12-2012, 12:00 AM
The man showed amazing restraint for only killing the laptop and not the other electronic devices he has aquired for her over the years.

And for the record, none of the liberal fathers of daughters that I have sent this to did anything but laugh themselves to tears and forward it to their wives. :D

ErikO
02-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Been there done that. Not quite as colorfully. Stepdaughter was in trouble and had no phone privilege. Loverboy thought it would be slick to give her his cell. He got it back in a bag after I beat it with a hammer. A day later the wife caught him hiding in her room (she sneeked him in after school before we got home) The wife got him out of the house while I was in the shower and before I found out. Smart woman ! Till you have been there, you don't know what you would do. You might think you do. Hope you don't have to find out. Could be it bothers him so much cause he gives a damn about her and his name.

James

"Boy, don't make me go BACK to prison!"

I bet he was in 'condition brown'. ;)

MBTcustom
02-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Wow, what a guy! I was as inspired by his response to that journalist as I was by his video. I hope he sticks by his guns (no pun intended).

Recluse
02-12-2012, 02:01 AM
My 20 year old son said "apparently some parents still care if their children are spoiled brats". He speaks from experience. It took some hard love to turn him around and I took criticism ranging from too tough to too easy on him. My response was that I prayed, cried, agonized, and sweated blood over my decision and I would stand before God knowing I'd done my best.

I hear you. I spent almost all of 2011 in the same state of mind as you with my adopted daughter, not knowing if we'd ever talk again.

But I wouldn't change a thing as to how I did it so far as cutting off the money and making her deal with responsibility and accountability.

BOOM BOOM
02-12-2012, 02:48 AM
HI,
I have been a school teacher for 20 yrs.

NO, THE KID DOES NOT NEED A COMPUTER FOR SCHOOL!
NO THE KID DOES NOT NEED A CELL PHONE!
They are a problem facilitating cheating & a distraction for the real reason the kid is in school for.

Gee, did you forget we have something called books?
Did you have a cell phone as a kid?
I sure did not!
I went through grad. school in the sciences without a calculator, and now kids NEED A CALCULATOR TO DO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL MATH ?

He bought the laptop, he can take it away.:Fire::Fire:

ilcop22
02-12-2012, 03:34 AM
Shoot, I'd get my *** whooped for speaking out of turn as a kid... And I'm 26, so that wasn't too long ago! I feel like an old man saying this, but kids these days have no respect. The downfall started when I was just getting out of elementary school and they started shutting down competition in schools and promoting the "everyone's special" philosophy. The entitlement epidemic (Occupy Wall Street, for example) isn't representative of the America I know and love.

41 mag fan
02-12-2012, 10:28 AM
When my son (now 29) told me at 14 -- when they started teaching the kids here that their parents could not hit them without getting put in jail, that if I laid a hand on him he was going to call the police and have me put in jail, I simply explained to him that if I was going to jail it was going to be for a good reason and he could be reasonably assured that I was going to get out of jail before he got out of the hospital.................

.........argument ended..............

...........and if someone on another forum reamed me about posting that guy? I'd have told them to STUFFIT....................

Art

My daughter back in Kindergarten brought home a business card from the school...it had a ph # on it and said call this # if your mom or dad spank you.....it was the family services ph #!!
I tore that card up when she showed me that.
I had both of our kids threaten to call the police when they were around 11 yrs old, if I spanked them......
For that comment, I called the police as I proceeded to smack them on their butts to their room. I left off the last # of the polices #, asking them in their room...want the phone now?? Their reply was no.....
Never heard that threat again.

What is most telling, and most discouraging, are the comments on YouTube from all the spoiled little nimrods who think parents, adults and our generation OWE them.

That's why when I run across someone like Ben's friend, Dustin, or some of the young people who are either members here or the children of members, I'll bend over backwards to help them.

I'm afraid there is no helping a large percentage of today's "occupy, you owe-me-mentality" youth and that the line between "us and them" is only being drawn deeper and more rigid.

Their choice.

Well said Recluse, very well said.

Ickisrulz
02-12-2012, 01:21 PM
The downfall started when I was just getting out of elementary school ...

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”
― Socrates 469 BC-399 BC

jcwit
02-12-2012, 01:52 PM
“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”
― Socrates 469 BC-399 BC

Right, and look what happened to the Greek society.

Ickisrulz
02-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Right, and look what happened to the Greek society.

Good point.

starmac
02-12-2012, 04:03 PM
My oldest daughter, was a very motivated kid. She made it through school with only one b on her report card, that happened in second grade and really upset her. She always held a job while in school and saved her money to buy the best when she did make a purchase. We supplied her with the basics, but she earned everything above that, with the exception of, we paid for half of her first car.

When she was 18 she raised the money to go on a mission trip and spent 30 days running around some African villages. She came back with a whole different view of the modest world she grew up in. The very poorest here were rich compared to the most well off, and them folks were happy and full of pride about what life had dealt them.

Boz330
02-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Yep according to him she wouldnt work or even apply for a job I would bet you are 100% correct.

All the lord blessed me with was boys but one day my son didn't agree with the way we were living in our home. And he proceeded to chew me out. I calmly looked at him and asked excuse me "how many house payments have you made since we started living here?" he said none. Then I asked how many electric bills have you paid he said none. I said how about gas bills he said none. I said ok you have lived here several years past your 18th birthday and you haven't paid a single payment or bill where do you get off telling me how I am going to live in my own house. If you dont like the way we live in this house your welcome to leave it at any time you wish.

BINGO, give the man a cubie doll! That is the exact thing my old man told me, but I paid rent from the time I got out of high school. It was sure cheaper than I could live somewhere else though.

Bob

DLCTEX
02-13-2012, 10:55 AM
My number two son (I have five) turned 18 and decided he no longer had to meet my curfew or follow some of my other rules. I told him,fine pack your clothes and move out, because this is the way things are done here. He decided to comply with my rules for about a year before moving out and trying in the real world. About six months later he came and asked my help to get more schooling to get beyond minimum wage jobs. I was happy to help. He's 44 now and doing well.

starmac
02-13-2012, 11:18 PM
It sounds like he got a visit from child protection services and the police. He got a thumbs up from the police, maybe they like people trying to keep their kids in line with the real world. lol

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/youtube-dad-who-shot-daughters-laptop-gets-visit-a/nHbcR/

canyon-ghost
02-14-2012, 12:51 AM
I won't judge the man as I've never walked in his shoes in his particular situation.

Amen.

a.squibload
02-14-2012, 03:42 AM
This hit the local TV news here tonight.
He was visited by social services but is not in trouble,
he said he picked up a few tips from them on parenting.

snuffy
02-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Megan Kelly on fox news had some of the you-tube vid on yesterday. Today, she had a follow-up on the visit from CPS and the local law visiting him. She said the CPS didn't have much to say, but the cops patted him on his back and gave him a thumbs up.:2_high5: CPS talked to the daughter as well.