PDA

View Full Version : Lube for the Lee R.E.A.L bullets

MW3840
02-09-2012, 02:16 PM
I just cast some .54 cal. Lee R.E.A.L. bullets. Being as I never used that type before, I hope you folks can help me out as to which type of bullet lube would be best to use on them.

Thanks to all,
Mike

tomme boy
02-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Crisco, wonder lube, bore butter, whatever natural lube you use for muzzleloaders.

prs
02-09-2012, 04:51 PM
I like a variation of Emmert's lube for black powder. 40:40:10:10 where the ratios are for beeswax, vegetable shortening, peanut oil (or olive oil, or castor oil) and glycerin bar soap base. Melt it together in a double boiler until the soap can do its work to blend the oils and fats together. I use the soap base which is sold in hobby type stores (google Gloribee) to blend with other ingredients to make novelty soaps because it is still quite active with lye and binds the other ingredients together -- sort of like felix lube for black powder. I gotta admit, I had better success with Maxi Balls than REAL boolits.

prs

stubshaft
02-09-2012, 06:29 PM
I have found lube normally used in muzzleloaders to work much better than something like xlox or 45-45-10. In my guns leading wasn't a concern but a lube that helped keep the fouling was. BTW - I use Crisco stiffened up with some Ivory soap (stearate).