PDA

View Full Version : Out of Round Lee Bullet - In Stock!

StrawHat
02-09-2012, 06:43 AM
Okay, now they are advertising them as out of round!!

http://leeprecision.com/new-6-cavity-mold-tl452-230-2r-out-of-round.html

Found it on the closeout page so I am guessing it was returned and they are trying to make back the machining cost. BUT if you want an out of round boolit...

finishman2000
02-09-2012, 07:42 AM
i got a 148 dewc mold from magma...it was shooting 8" groups at 25yards. the only way i found out it was off axis as that i sent it to eric for conversion to hollow base. he called magma and they sent a new one to him for me. now it's a 1 1/2" group mold at 25 yards as it should be.

i can't believe that lee would SELL these and not just toss it in the scrap/recycle drum. i guess that's why i never have anything good to say about lee's products. i gave up on them many years ago.

imashooter2
02-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Hey, but you save 4 and a half bucks off Midway's price for a good one...

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Oh my, A company like Lee selling this ...is a stupid mistake !!!

I'm not a machinist, so I don't know if this is possible or not,
But if there is a large batch of these "Out of round" molds,
I would think that it'd be better to re-machine the blocks
to a larger boolit ?
Or just scrap 'em
Jon

Shiloh
02-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Hey, but you save 4 and a half bucks off Midway's price for a good one...

As well as giving the definition of cheapskate a whole new meaning.

Shiloh

DLCTEX
02-09-2012, 10:56 AM
I figured they were cheaper than blank moulds and could be used to make larger cal. moulds.

Casting_40S&W
02-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Straw Hat, Its a closeout item, what are you trying to prove?

Char-Gar
02-09-2012, 02:19 PM

Well, I am think he is saying that Lee sells their rejects. Looks like they made a run of molds that are too far out of spec even for Lee. It doesn't matter if it is on closeout or not. Good companies don't discount their junk and sell it. They throw it in the trash.

But quality control has never meant very much to Lee. All that seems to matter is underselling the other makers. Lee has a following that accepts this practice and find it a reason to buy their stuff. If the buyers insisted on highest quality rather than lowest price, this stuff would soon stop.

mdi
02-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Well, I am think he is saying that Lee sells their rejects. Looks like they made a run of molds that are too far out of spec even for Lee. It doesn't matter if it is on closeout or not. Good companies don't discount their junk and sell it. They throw it in the trash.

But quality control has never meant very much to Lee. All that seems to matter is underselling the other makers. Lee has a following that accepts this practice and find it a reason to buy their stuff. If the buyers insisted on highest quality rather than lowest price, this stuff would soon stop.
From what I'm reading, the mold is in the "closeout" section, and product description is "out of round". I see no deception, not trying to sell as new, no trying to sell rejects, no quality control issues. They are selling an out of round mold in the closeout section, Period!
I believe I've seem Hornady "blems" and/or "seconds" bullets sold by one of the major vendors (can't remember which one) and I haven't heard anyone bashing Hornady's quality control. Perhaps Hornady isn't a "good" company because they are selling their "junk". I think a lot of the posts here are just folks jumping on the "Bash Lee Products" bandwagon...

BTW, I went looking for the mold with the link provided by the OP and could not find the mold in question. I guess some one bought it.

The Ranger
02-09-2012, 04:49 PM
somebody wanted them, thier already gone.

375RUGER
02-09-2012, 04:51 PM
looks like they are gone now anyway.

stubshaft
02-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Probably bought by someone who will sell it on flea bay as a new item.

runfiverun
02-09-2012, 06:27 PM
they'll be on e-bay next week... everybody calm down.

41 mag fan
02-09-2012, 07:07 PM
They've had several out of round molds on there off and on for the last few months. Heck i bought a 502 6 banger off their closeouts..got it in and it's got happy7's name on the side of it.

JeffinNZ
02-09-2012, 07:42 PM
How would that differ from any other mould? I don't think I have one that throws a perfectly round boolit.

wallenba
02-09-2012, 07:52 PM
If they are widest across the parting line, Beagling them can be an easy way to make an oversized boolit that is closer to being round. I've done it with rifle molds. It can actually solve problems for those oversized groove diameter guns.

Wolfer
02-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Oddly enough my 452-255RF casts bullets that are 452 by 457 in both cavities. I size now 452 just to wipe the lube off but shot them for a long time without sizing. I have several molds, most by
Lee that throw a near perfect boolit but my out of round mold is my most accurate in my gun

Char-Gar
02-09-2012, 09:39 PM
From what I'm reading, the mold is in the "closeout" section, and product description is "out of round". I see no deception, not trying to sell as new, no trying to sell rejects, no quality control issues. They are selling an out of round mold in the closeout section, Period!
I believe I've seem Hornady "blems" and/or "seconds" bullets sold by one of the major vendors (can't remember which one) and I haven't heard anyone bashing Hornady's quality control. Perhaps Hornady isn't a "good" company because they are selling their "junk". I think a lot of the posts here are just folks jumping on the "Bash Lee Products" bandwagon...

BTW, I went looking for the mold with the link provided by the OP and could not find the mold in question. I guess some one bought it.

Blem means blemished and seconds are most often minor flaws that do not effect function. Out of round molds are neither blemished or seconds. They are just bad molds. No lee did not attempt to deceive. They just sold their trash.

StrawHat
02-09-2012, 10:00 PM

I am pretty sure I mentioned it was in the close out section, yep, I just reread the post.

I am also pretty sure I mentioned they are now advertising them as out of round. For some of us, that is just them finally getting around to printing the truth. For others of us, it was a comment on the state of the industry where they would try to sell something that is obviously no up to the quality one would expect from a precicion product.

Or maybe I just posted it so folks could get a luagh with their morning coffee. Really don't care if you got the point or not, some do, some don't.

mdi
02-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Blem means blemished and seconds are most often minor flaws that do not effect function. Out of round molds are neither blemished or seconds. They are just bad molds. No lee did not attempt to deceive. They just sold their trash.

"Seconds" means "second rate" not up to as new production standards, AKA "junk". Just like I said; "Lee Bashing" Bandwagon...

Char-Gar
02-10-2012, 03:09 PM
"Seconds" means "second rate" not up to as new production standards, AKA "junk". Just like I said; "Lee Bashing" Bandwagon...

If you want to buy out of round reject second rate junk molds on the cheap have at it.

lf you want to call me a Lee basher go ahead as well. I am not critical of Lee, just for the fun it it or because their stuff is red. I am critical of Lee stuff, because it deserves the criticism, due to shoddy design and quality control.

Would you dismiss a person who thought the policies and performance of President Obama were not acceptable an Obama basher?

high standard 40
02-10-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm not going to bash Lee for this. Occasionally out of spec items are produced by every manufacturer. I do think it would have been better for them to just throw it in the recycle bin though.

But then there is this point. Using an out of round bullet has been suggested and advised here before. When you beagle a mold, the resulting bullet is no longer round. I don't see much difference really. If one works, so should the other. As far as myself, I would rather have a round bullet.
Just sayin.

Silvercreek Farmer
02-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Wonder if they bothered to mark them "reject" or something similar?