PDA

View Full Version : Straight wheel weight lead

Little Joe
03-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Does anyone out there use straight wheel weight lead for casting bullets?Most add tin and soft lead or type metal to their wheel weight lead.

I have a chance to trade my type metal off for some more wheel weights 2 to 1 trade.Maybe I should even sell off all my soft lead?Im thinking of doing it and just sticking with wheel weight lead.Things would be alot easier on my mind with just one lead metal.

Should I just polish my molds up good so they fill out nice without.

Out of here,
Little Joe

ps/ Makes me wonder what Shemp would have to say about this?

leftiye
03-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Don't! You'll limit yourself to a more narrow selection of alloys and a day may come that you wish you had pure lead and Linotype. Plus you may be able to find wheelweights for little or nothing (maybe not too, try it and find out). I'd just proceed to get some wheelweights as best as I could come up with.

I'm actually in that exact situation myself right now, and I might even buy some on eBay. I'm on a kick right now about making expanding boolits. 50/50 wheelweights/pure lead does a fairly good job. I'd add the tin (solder) just to get the better formed boolits. Plus it makes the boolits tougher, they don't fall apart as readily under impact.

44man
03-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Don't trade or sell any of your lead!
But if you just wan't plinking loads, straight WW metal casts just fine and is accurate. But depending on caliber, velocity, expansion wanted and even working for accuracy, you want to be able to add to the WW's, so to get rid of all the other metal is a mistake.
The first thing I see happening is after you sell off the pure lead, you will buy a muzzle loader and start kicking yourself. Most of us would sell a tooth for a pile of pure.

Texasflyboy
03-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Does anyone out there use straight wheel weight lead for casting bullets?

I've used little else for 15 years. I've cast over 50,000 45ACP & 9mm LRN bullets using nothing more than straight wheelweights. For loads 1000fps & under, I find water quenched wheelweights perfect for my use.

I have about 1500lbs of lino and a few tons of pure lead that I may tap into at some future date if wheelweights ever run out.

The answer to your question should be that you try and use straight wheelweights and see if it meets your needs. If it does, then problem solved.

Lloyd Smale
03-15-2007, 12:39 PM
straight ww is about the most useable and versitile lead to have but like was said i wouldnt want to be without the others for alloying

LAH
03-15-2007, 02:43 PM
I cast most of what I shoot from straigth air cooled w/w..........Creeker

Little Joe
03-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Good to know.

I will just keep all my lead.

Lead sure doesnt go bad and it isnt hurting anything sitting in the barn.

Thanks,

Little Joe

BAGTIC
03-22-2007, 11:05 PM
ALL of my handgun loads are HTWW. They work fine and leading free at normal pistol and revolver velocities , 1,200+/- fps.

boommer
03-22-2007, 11:23 PM
little joe dont ever sell off in the reloading world because someday you will go what the heck did I do that for!! ( just bank it all ) trust me you will need it sooner or later if you stay in this game.

Hunter
03-23-2007, 01:40 AM
All I have used so far is water quenched wheel weights in 200gr LSWC for .45 ACP with 5.3 and 5.6gr of Unique and it works great for me.

crossfireoops
03-23-2007, 02:35 AM
Sat around a bit with old Ferguson , yesterday.
To long since I've done that, and been to busy.
He took a phone call, from someone, and explained
that WW was THE most versatile, and readily available
source.

Me ....BPCR type, tin junky........blended with Doe Run.

Watching my Buds outshoot me , with WW is a levelor.

Better lube, Mebbe?

GTC