PDA

View Full Version : Were you in Korea?

leadman
02-09-2012, 01:22 AM
I started going to the VA for my healthcare last fall and found out I may have been exposed to Agent Orange. I was there in the early 70s'. Some of my medical problems are the same as some of the effects of AO.

Wife and I watched a news program on tv a couple weeks ago about the military burying leaking AO drums at Camp Carroll. I was there a couple times from what I recall. I was also up in the northern part of the country were this was also applied to the growth. Being a heavy equipment mechanic at the time it is hard to say that the equipment I worked on had any on it or not. I was third shop so equipment was brought in from around the country and I also traveled repairing things.

Anyway, if you were in Korea and hadn't heard of this yet and need medical care it might be to your benefit to go to the VA and register. Think everyone knows about AO in 'Nam.

A side benefit to registering with the VA is once you get your card there are many businesses that give a discount. Verizon is 20%, most others are 10%. Places like home Depot, Lowe's, and many others.

nicholst55
02-09-2012, 01:26 AM
After recently spending $1 million of your tax dollars in an investigation and exhaustive search, the U.S. Army determined that there was never any Agent Orange buried at Camp Carroll. It was used on the DMZ as a defoliant during the '60s, and the VA acknowledges that. There are scanned copies of an old newspaper article acknowledging the use of AO in Korea posted at various places online.

I followed this issue closely because I was also stationed here during the early '70s, late '70s, early '80s, and am again now.

leadman
02-09-2012, 12:44 PM
That program I watched had some independent chemist look at the report the government did. They concluded that there is no AO left but what is left are the chemicals that were in AO that don't breakdown readily. The water wells in the area are also polluted with the chemicals left from AO.
The VA has it in their info that if you were stationed there in the early 70s you might be exposed.
I found out about it while in a VA waiting room reading a magazine, think it was a legion mag. Then when applying for my card the lady looked at my DD214 and coded me for AO exposure.

I was at Camp Casey for a week once changing engines in some heavy equipment. Was also at K16 for several months supporting the crews extending the runway. That was fun sleeping in a tent with a heater that would only run about 4 hours on the jerry can of diesel. Then fixing the dozers or scrapers when they quit in the middle of the river.

Also got up farther north but did not stay there long. Our asphalt crew paved the road down thru the DMZ for the Red Cross talks in 72.
I was based out of Camp Humphreys (K6).

Watching that program on tv really showed me how things have changed there. I probably would not recoginize anything.

nicholst55
02-10-2012, 04:44 AM
Watching that program on tv really showed me how things have changed there. I probably would not recoginize anything.

I've been at nearly every U.S. Army and Air Force installation from Daegu north to the DMZ, to include the guard posts inside the DMZ. I also went a lot of places that I had absolutely no business being hunting deer and pheasants on the DMZ, including one trip inside the barrier fence along the Military Demarcation Line (actual border between the two Koreas). I've also been to some very interesting ROK Army, Navy and Air Force installations. I was last at K16 a month or so ago, and Camp Humphreys about three weeks ago.

I went 25 years between visits (tours) to Korea, and you are absolutely correct - you wouldn't think that you were in the same country if you returned today. I thought the plane had landed in the wrong country when I returned in 2008! Korea used to be a nation of farmers with a little bit of medium to heavy industry. Now a very small proportion (less than 10%) of the population lives in rural areas, and everyone else lives in cities. Nearly all of the farmers that you do meet are middle-aged or older, and much of Korea's food is imported now.

I've been here for four years this time, and I'm ready to return to the States. I'm moving to Yuma, AZ, in a few weeks, so perhaps our paths will cross.

William Yanda
02-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Glad to know of this issue guys. I was in Korea from Mar 70 to Jan 71. Early out due to VN drawdown. I was one of the last of the draftees. Originally intended for the DMZ but shanghied to Hqs & Hqs Co, EUSA cause I had a couple of years of college and could type. A clerk at the replacement depot said: "We can get a KATUSA(Korean Augmentee the the US Army) to pull guard duty up there"Only got out of Yongson Garrison a couple of times. Once for a field exercise. I was sent back by helicopter to "guard" a footlocker of classified documents with an M-16 and no live ammo. Brings back memories.

nicholst55
02-11-2012, 09:24 PM
I was doing some research online yesterday, and there are any number of unsubstantiated claims that Agent Orange was used all over the Korean peninsula, around many installations. VA hasn't accepted any of those claims yet, of course.

Dean D.
02-12-2012, 03:37 PM
554 CESHR Det. 1 and 8th CES, K-8, Kunsan AB., 78-79. I'm not sure there would have been any AO in that area but good info to know for future reference. Thanks

Jammer Six
02-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Camp Casey, June 1975-April 1976.

A Co, 2/9th Camp Liberty Bell, April 1976-August 1976.

Is that a concern?

nicholst55
02-12-2012, 09:56 PM
There are unsubstantiated reports of AO use around Kunsan AB, not certain of the time frame. Google should be some help in researching this issue. Camp Liberty Bell was almost certainly in the region where AO was used during the '60s.

bbs70
02-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Camp Essayons, 71-72
13b40
6/37 field arty
2nd inf div
Cannon cocker then got transfered to EAF for security.
Only ones in the small camp with loaded weapons.

I've seen pictures on line of the area I was in, GOD I can't recognize the place, but then it has been 40 years.
Remember -30 degree temps at St. Barbara range and my mickey mouse boots.
Remember sleeping bag with m-16 in there with me to keep it from being stolen, damn that rifle was cold!!!!!
I still shiver when I think about those days.

leadman
02-13-2012, 04:48 PM
I can't remember the exact dates for coverage if you were in Korea but I left in Jan 73 and I am covered by the VA for AO exposure.
I remember there was no vegetation around K16 for quite a ways so it is possible it was used there.
We were not supposed to go to the DMZ from Camp Casey but there we vehicle issues so the E-6 back at Humphreys said if we could get over there and help them out go ahead, just don't get caught. This drive was after dark and curfew. On the drive back to Humpreys the 10 ton driver found out that the Barber Greene paver was wider than the guard shack on the freeway entrance. Unfortunately he was doing probably 30 mph when he found this out.

The procedures for waste disposal from the shops over there were about non-existant. Most of the time fluids went on the ground and covered with dirt. Like one fall when it started to get cold the motor pool set up one of those water tanks on stilts full of antifreeze. The vehicles would pull up, mechanic would open the petcock on the radiator and drain it on the ground. When done driver would pull up to the tank and someone would fill the radiator. That slimy mess stayed around for quite awhile. Finally I think someone covered it with dirt.

Shame the people living there have to deal with what was done there.

bbs70
02-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Could the no vegetation be caused by Kimchi pots that were fermenting all over the place?
Heck, the Kimchi was probably wores than the AO.

GOD, that stuff stunk

nicholst55
02-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Many of the old compounds that we all knew either already have been or eventually will be turned over to the ROK government. Cleaning up from decades of pollution like leadman mentioned is one of the major issues faced by both governments.

The only U.S. installations north of Seoul that are still open are Camp Red Cloud, Camp Stanley, and Camp Casey/Hovey. Rodriguez Range is still open, and probably always will be. It's about the only place left that the tanks, Bradleys, and big guns and missiles can fire. Eventually, everything except Rodriguez Range will close, and all of 2ID will be moved to Camp Humphreys. Well, all of 2ID that's still in Korea - 1st Brigade, 2d Combat Aviation Brigade, and 210th Fires Brigade. The other four brigades of 2ID are stationed at Fort Lewis, WA. The deadline for moving to Humphreys has come and gone a few times just since I've been here. I think the current date is 2015 or 2016, and I expect it to be pushed back again.

While I'm confident that the ROK military polluted their installations just like our military did, news of past pollution on ROK installations doesn't make the evening news. Stories about the cleanup of former U.S. installations does.

edsmith
02-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Camp Casey, 58-59 post signal

JIMinPHX
02-13-2012, 11:24 PM
The only U.S. installations north of Seoul that are still open are Camp xxxx, Camp xxxxx, and Camp xxxxxx. xxxxx Range is still open, and probably always will be. It's about the only place left that the xxxxxxxxxxxxxx can fire. Eventually, everything except xxxxx Range will close, and all of 2ID will be moved to Camp xxxxx. Well, all of 2ID that's still in Korea - xxxxxxxxxxxxx. The other xxxxxxxxof 2ID are stationed at Fort xxxxxx. The deadline for moving to xxxxx has come and gone a few times just since I've been here. I think the current date is xxxxxxxxx, and I expect it to be pushed back again. does.

Terry,
Do you think that it's wise to post that much information about troop positions on an open internet board???? Loose lips & all?

I'm not trying to break your chops. That's just an honest question.

Regards,
Jim

Jammer Six
02-14-2012, 02:16 AM
He can't say anything the everyone in Korea doesn't already know.

When I wanted to know when we were going to the field, I didn't ask anyone in the company. I went downrange and asked a hooker.

The cutoff for Agent Orange in Korea, including the DMZ, appears to be 1971, according the VA.

troy_mclure
02-14-2012, 08:51 AM
+1 jammer 6. Lol

Camp hovey and camp castle from 01-03.
I also did lots of land mine maintnance in the DMV. Lots of digging and grubbing in the dirt. Lol

nicholst55
02-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Terry,
Do you think that it's wise to post that much information about troop positions on an open internet board???? Loose lips & all?

I'm not trying to break your chops. That's just an honest question.

Regards,
Jim

Good question, Jim, but it's all open source material and has been 'out there' for some time.

leadman
02-15-2012, 10:21 PM
I think that '71 date is correct but I heard while at the VA the dates are subject to change, especially if you show symptons of exposure. I had enlarged lymph glands in my neck before they let me out. This is what gave me my original status as less than 10% disabled. Had my thyroid removed in '75.
The VA is reviewing my case now, don't know what will happen with it. Pretty happy about what they are doing for me now.

William Yanda
02-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Kimchi is definitely an acquired taste! Mockli too. Being in HQS EUSA all the reports from the DMZ came through our TOC. I remember one concerning a squad which went into the DMZ at night, split up, then fired on each other.

Moondawg
02-19-2012, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=bbs70;1588235]Camp Essayons, 71-72
13b40
6/37 field arty
2nd inf div

Camp Essayons 6/37 FA (Big Guns) 1978-79. Bn. PA. It was almost downtown when I was there. I was up north, about a half mile south of Freedom Bridge in 1965 (7th ID). Big changes in Korea since then. 7th ID is gone and 2/3s of 2d ID is gone from Korea.

Jay
02-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Having retired form the VA after many years in Compensation and Pension. I thought this info may be of use to some of you...

Under the final regulation published in the Federal Register, VA will presume herbicide exposure for any Veteran who served between April 1, 1968, and Aug. 31, 1971, in a unit determined by VA and the Department of Defense (DoD) to have operated in an area in or near the Korean DMZ in which herbicides were applied.

In practical terms, eligible Veterans who have specific illnesses VA presumes to be associated with herbicide exposure do not have to prove an association between their illness and their military service. This "presumption" simplifies and speeds up the application process for benefits and ensures that Veterans receive the benefits they deserve.

http://veteransinfo.org/korea.html

http://www.nvlsp.org/Information/ArticleLibrary/AgentOrange/AO-aoinkorea.htm

MACHanna
11-07-2018, 10:23 PM
Don't know if this would help anyone but I have photos taken on the DMZ in 72-73 showing the lack of vegetation there even at that time. The mines that are being cleared now were also in the pictures since a lot of the soil had already been washed away. Just saying I believe the Agent Orange was still working in this period of time.

William Yanda
11-08-2018, 01:06 AM
Could the no vegetation be caused by Kimchi pots that were fermenting all over the place?
Heck, the Kimchi was probably wores than the AO.

GOD, that stuff stunk

And when you mix kimchee, specially winter kimchee, with mokli, look out!

Tackleberry41
11-08-2018, 09:10 AM
I really doubt any classified info has been leaked, all stuff anybody with google can look up. And yea when I was in Korea we did not use military resources for info, but locals. All you had to do was watch where the moonpie trucks went to know where the other guys were. No matter how well you concealed a position, those moon pie trucks were like blood hounds.

It was still very rural when I was there early 89.