PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Silvercreek Farmer
02-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Finally decided to join the forum. I have been doing google searches for the past couple weeks researching reloading and Cast Boolits throws a lot of answers to my questions, so it won! I have been shooting for years but am completely new to reloading. I own several calibers but what I am after is a 30-06 load that I can afford to shoot on a regular basis (in a bolt action) and won't rattle the neighbor's cages too badly. What I am looking at is Trailboss powder under a non-gas checked cast boolit. I don't plan on doing my own casting to begin with, but may decide to later. I plan on purchasing a basic Lee Challenger kit, manual, dies ect. I do not expect to shoot more than 100 rds a month (that may change too!)and if I decide to upgrade later, it will not be a problem. I am sure I will have many questions to come as reloading seems to be a pretty complex subject! But for now is there an good online "New to reloading guide"? I can squeeze in a bit of online reading at work, but can't quite tote in a reloading manual...(reading the Cast Bullet guide from the sticky now)

SlowSmokeN
02-08-2012, 06:29 PM
YouTube is great!!! There are very informative videos from setting up each die to pulling the trigger.

Make sure you watch a couple different ones just to make sure you are getting sound advice. Some you just need to take with a grain of salt and move on.

waksupi
02-08-2012, 07:40 PM
I'd plan on getting involved a bit more than you are. I would recommend a Loverin type 200 gr. bullet, and go for a gas check design. I would just about guarantee success for what you are wanting to do with that. There may be better powder selections, too. Red Dot comes to mind, for what you want to do.

As far as manuals, you are at the best one available!
We are enablers!
Welcome aboard!

Silvercreek Farmer
02-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks Slowsmoken! I've watched a lot of Youtube videos already, but I'm sure there are many more.

Waksupi, I was under the impression that a gas check may seperate and get left in the bore in a low velocity round? I have also read about a lot of red dot/blue dot/unique loads but, from what I read may be a bit position sensitive, require filler, and may risk a SEE in small case volume load.

waksupi
02-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Take a look at this, I think it sounds like where you are heading.

http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/TheLoad.html

Le Loup Solitaire
02-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum. It sounds like that so far you are off to a good beginning. The Lee kit will work well for you. Keep reading and asking questions; someone will always answer and help you. Gas checks can and do come off, but not in the barrel with/when pressure is behind them and the bullet. Red Dot powder is a good one and does well in the 06. It is economical as well; if you were loading 14 grains of it and there are 7000 grains in a pound then you would get 500 (7000/14= 500) loads per pound. Affordable as such you will be able to shoot a pound for quite a spell. You probably will eventually go to casting your own as jacketed bullets are pretty expensive. Buying ready cast ones isn't cheap either. The initial investment will be quickly paid for. The math is simple. You can also find a wealth of information/good articles right here on the forum written by savvy folks with many years of lengthy experience. Its all only a couple of mouse clicks away so go for it. LLS

Wayne Smith
02-09-2012, 07:00 PM
You have a good start but don't limit yourself to the Lee manual. It does have good information, perhaps overload at times, but is a good basic reference. The data is all copied from other sources and is limited, at times limited to a few relatively unusual powders for a particular load. Get the Lyman manual and, if you are going to shoot cast or cast your own, get the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual.

Silvercreek Farmer
02-09-2012, 09:58 PM
You have a good start but don't limit yourself to the Lee manual. It does have good information, perhaps overload at times, but is a good basic reference. The data is all copied from other sources and is limited, at times limited to a few relatively unusual powders for a particular load. Get the Lyman manual and, if you are going to shoot cast or cast your own, get the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual.

Thanks, does they Lyman manual include load data, or is it just casting?

runfiverun
02-09-2012, 10:57 PM
they have both, one for just cast, and one that has both cast and jaxketed data.
the newest cast is number 4 [i recommend number 3]
and the lyman [for both] newest airc is number 48.

mx5tc
02-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Silvercreek,

I've been searching for good plinker loads for Remington 700 .30-06 and plan on trying the following two loads:

1. Rocky's Universal .30 load

http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Universal%2030.htm

2. Sam Fadala's .30-06 small game load (uses 30 grains (volume! not weight) of Triple 7)

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_11_50/ai_n6209996/?tag=content;col1

Both these loads can use inexpensive PB 100-115gr cast boolits and are good for plinking and small game with muzzle velocities in the 1,300 (Triple 7) to 1,600 fps range.

stubshaft
02-10-2012, 03:14 AM
If you are planning to shoot only 100 rounds a month just get a Lee Loader and a can of Unique.

Silvercreek Farmer
02-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Just called the range 10 mins from the house. Always thought they were members only (big $$), but the owner said they will allow non-members for $10 a gun as long there are no members waiting and he said that was rare. The best part is, they have a 300 yard rifle range! I am in the process of building a berm at the house that I can shoot into, theoretically from 200 yards, but my back stop gets mighty small at that distance. I'll probably just shoot at 100 yards for intial testing of loads/handguns, then head up the road for the longer range work.

Wolfer
02-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Ed Harris has an interesting article floating around the web called ( the load ) There are
actually two such articles, one with Red dot and one with 2400. I believe at least one of them
is in the stickies in this section.
You may be surprised at how accurate and pleasent to shoot these loads are.

If you want PM me your email and I'll send them to you, I have them on file.

Wolfer
02-10-2012, 07:32 PM
If you are planning to shoot only 100 rounds a month just get a Lee Loader and a can of Unique.

This is how I got started nearly 40 years ago, cheap simple and effective!