PDA

View Full Version : Lyman M-M XX

jimkim
02-08-2012, 05:42 PM
I've been using my Lyman Mould-Master XX furnace for a few weeks now, and have been disheartened at how slow the pour is. I've cleaned the spout countless times.
I finally remembered the stop screw above the lever. :groner: What a schmuck. The good news is, now that I can actually open the valve, I can go though twenty pounds of alloy, before the next sunrise. Man is this thing ever sweet.

Where can I find a thermostat for this furnace? I can't seem to keep it bellow 680°F. It will drop for a little while then edge back up and settle back at 680.

45-70 Chevroner
02-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Personally I like to cast at a little higher than that usually at about 750 or a little higher, but thats just me. I get a little better fill out with these temps. 680 should be doable though.

jimkim
02-08-2012, 07:27 PM
I have one mould that really holds the heat. I get frosted bullets at 680. I was hoping to drop down a little at a time until I found the sweet spot.

theperfessor
02-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Well, you could always build your own PID controller...

oneokie
02-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Slow down your casting pace. Or, get a small fan and place next to where you drop the fresh cast boolits and let it blow across the open mould. Or place a cloth in a shallow dish/pan with some water in it and touch the closed mould to the damp cloth.

Read this thread: http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=57105