PDA

View Full Version : High School Fans Seeing Red Over Pink

bowfin
02-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Well, this really is an "Our Town" subject, since it is our town of Columbus, Nebraska that is drawing the wrath of Omaha fans.

It seems that Omaha Burke High School wore pink uniforms against our team during a basketball game. Our Columbus coach mentioned that was illegal, since the home team has to wear white uniforms. The refs called a technical foul against the pink wearing Omaha team, and we went on to win the game by 17 points.

So now the acrimony is in full swing:

Crying foul over Burke's pink uniforms

A dispute over the color of Burke High's charity uniforms tainted the team's girls basketball game Monday night against Columbus.

The host Bulldogs wore light pink uniforms as part of a fundraiser for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Burke played well in the first half and led by one point at halftime over the sixth-ranked Discoverers.

Before the third quarter began, Columbus coach Dave Licari discussed the uniforms with the officials. State rules require the home team's uniforms to be predominantly white.

The officials then called a technical foul on Burke, and a Columbus player sank both free throws. The Discoverers went on to win 62-47.

"It was a total mistake by me,'' Bulldogs Athletic Director Kyle Rohrig said. "We had good intentions, but we made a mistake, and then there were consequences.''

The fundraiser was organized by Burke assistant coach Tom Law, who runs a youth basketball organization that annually selects a charity to support. He purchased the uniforms for the Burke girls that were to be auctioned off after the game, with the money going to Make-A-Wish.

"Coach Law has a big heart," Burke head coach Luke Lueders said. "He was trying to do a nice thing, and then this happened.''

Lueders said he should have notified the Columbus team of the pink uniforms earlier that day, but he added the timing of the meeting between Licari and officials at halftime was unfortunate.

"If they thought there was a problem, it should have been addressed before the game,'' he said. "To have that happen at halftime caught us all off-guard.''

Columbus Athletic Director John Krogstrand, who arrived at the game in the second quarter, said he was the one who brought the uniforms to the attention of the Discoverers coaches.

"I asked one of our assistants whether Burke had said anything ahead of time about wearing pink uniforms,'' Krogstrand said. "It was my suggestion to coach Licari to bring it to the attention of the officials."

The intent wasn't to be malicious, Krogstrand said. "It was a situation where we just asked the officials, and they called the foul.''

The athletic director added that Columbus High School also has done its part for charity, raising $2,000 in the fall for cancer research by having fans wear pink to a football game and a volleyball match.

"It put us in an awkward spot Monday night,'' Krogstrand said. "But when you want to maintain the integrity of the game, you've got to play by the rules.''

The rest of the story is here, along with comments.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120208/NEWS01/702079815#crying-foul-over-burke-s-pink-uniforms

starmac
02-08-2012, 06:26 PM
I can't see where there was any harm, it isn't like 2 points had an outcome of the game.

nvbirdman
02-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Although this was very unfortunate for the home team, maybe it will teach the kids about unintended consiquences.

waksupi
02-08-2012, 07:34 PM
I think the guy who complained is a bit of a weasel. He knew darned well it was a one time event, to support a cause. It sounds more like he was worried his team was taking a licking.

Lee
02-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Geez, we're told not to worry about the color of one's skin. Then we're told that we can't wear a certain color.

I could care less about sports, sports colors, or what colors you have to wear doing sports.

This shows me the mindset of all the "sports" persons out there.

Let's not get started on professional sports, shall we??? :bigsmyl2:

bowfin
02-08-2012, 08:21 PM
I think the guy who complained is a bit of a weasel.

The coach's boss (Columbus Athletic Director) told him to ask the referee what gives with the illegal uniforms. The Columbus Athletic Director's other job is on the state high school athletics rules committee, so that's his job to oversee the rules. So the only guy NOT doing his job is the coach that suits up his player in illegal uniforms. He then whines to the paper when it blows up in his face and tries to put the blame on "the win at all costs" guys.

So we now have(once again) people saying, "Yeah, it's a rule, but we have a good reason for breaking it, and if you don't agree, then you're a bad person." There's a lot of that going around these days.

As for the outcome of who was going to win, a one point lead was never going to hold up with the entire starting lineup in foul trouble beginning the second half. The "weasel coach" told his team to pass the ball inside and take the inevitable free throws that would follow...41 free throws, to be exact, of which the "weasel team" made 30.

DocHoliday
02-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Rules are rules. A shame it was over something such as a charity but it is fair. To me it seems all parties involved could have done a number of things to address the situation. In the end the call was made on a standing rule. If we can't agree to be fair in what we do then why do anything. Would you shoot a deer out of season because you can and nobody is watching.

ErikO
02-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Sounds like a communication failure turned into a teachable moment.

Had the home coach broached the subject with the visiting team beforehand, I'm sure a one-game waiver could have been arranged.

KYCaster
02-09-2012, 10:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fuDDqU6n4o

:popcorn:

Jerry

Duckiller
02-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the world of high school sports. #2 son's swim team lost a league championship meet because one of there swimmers wore a suit that had the name of a private swim club on it. The complaining parent's team won the meet. Somehow my son managed to rise above this and be named a CC All American while in college and will graduate from law school this spring. In high school we learn that we either obey the rules or suffer the consequences,

Blacksmith
02-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Rulz is Rulz abide by them or change them. The Second Ammendment is just a rule, too many people want to ignore or interpert it the way they want.

1Shirt
02-12-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm with Blacksmith on this one! Not a big deal overall.
1Shirt!