PDA

View Full Version : Polish Babka (a sweet bread)

piwo
03-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Polish Babka

This is a batter type “sweet” bread that is not (cannot be) kneaded

a) 3 1/3 cups milk
b) 1 ½ stick butter
c) 3 cakes yeast dissolved in ¾ cup lukewarm water
d) 1 ½ tablespoons sugar- for yeast
e) 3 eggs beaten
f) 12 cups all purpose flour
g) 2 ½ teaspoons salt
h) 1 ¼ cups sugar – for bread mix
i) 1 cup washed and well drained golden raisins

Scald milk(a) but don’t boil, turn into large bowl, add butter(b) and cool to lukewarm.

Dissolve yeast in the lukewarm water (3/4 cup)(c), and add 1.5 tablespoon sugar (d)(for the yeast to feed on).

When the yeast is clearly “growing” strongly and expanded, add eggs (e) and yeast mixture to milk and beat thoroughly.

Add flour (f) and salt (g) and sugar (h) to mix (should take about 10 minutes to get all the flour thoroughly beaten in). This gets stiff at the end and may take some elbow grease…..

When all the flour has been added and mixed in, add the raisins (if you add them with the flour they will get coated and remain that way)

Cover bowl with a clean towel and set in warm place to rise to double its bulk (it will take about an hour or a bit longer, depending on warmth of the rising place).

Oil 3 loaf pans. The dough will be very soft; scoop out half the dough into your floured hands and jiggle it somehow into an oblong shape, then drop some into a pan. Repeat till all the dough is in all the pans. Cover with a towel again.

When the dough has once again doubled in bulk (about 45 minutes or an hour), bake at 375 degree’s for about 50 minutes. When bread has shrunk from the side of the pan, it is done. Turn onto a rack and cool.

As soon as you remove the bread from the pan, brush some sugar water onto the top. It will leave a shiny glaze, and make the top sweet.

This is killer bread with only butter, or your favorite jelly or jam. It’s a sweet bread that is incredible when eaten warm. It is also a staple for Easter, as is Biały Kiełbasa and chrusciki.

Scrounger
03-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the receipe. I am a bit confused; You say," Take out half the dough..." and no mention of what to do with the remaining half. Did you perhaps mean to say to place dough in the baking pans until they were half full? I guess to say," Half-fill the baking pans" would be more clear.

piwo
03-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the receipe. I am a bit confused; You say," Take out half the dough..." and no mention of what to do with the remaining half. Did you perhaps mean to say to place dough in the baking pans until they were half full? I guess to say," Half-fill the baking pans" would be more clear.

It was hastily written.. Really meant to convey that it's easier to work with in a glob then by tiny incriments. By my instructions, you'd then need to grab the rest of the dough and work it into oblong blobs to fill the other two pans. All the batter will fit the three pans......

Not much a future in technical writing for me...:oops:

scrapcan
03-16-2007, 12:48 PM
PIWO,

Have you ever made this using sourdough starter for the leavening?

My Grandma made something on this line of batter bread, but I know she used sourdough starter for leavening. Wish I had been of a proper mind to have her write things down so that now that I have an interest I could do the family justice by continuing to use the old ways. Stupid kid that I was, now too late to learn from those who were willing to teach.

Jeremy

piwo
03-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Nope, I never tasted anything "sourdough" from my Busia.. I am very interested in trying Ivantherussians sourdough bread on the other "bread thread" because I LOVE sourdough.

I will make it sometime after easter as I cannon this weekend, the next two weekends I'll be making sausage, then the next weekend IS Easter. Well, maybe Saturday before easter....hmmmmmmmmmm

You are not alone with not asking when you could. So much I would like to ask my grandmother now, but have to dig in libraries and microfilm for clues..... And I lived with this lady for like 10+ years..... ) -:

scrapcan
03-16-2007, 03:10 PM
piwo,

I know what you are saying. I lived with my grandmother till I was 15, then again for 2.5 years while going to college. Wen to see her every week until I finsihed college and got married. Then it was by phone until she passed away a year later. This is a greatway to keep the traditional recipes available.

Jeremy