PDA

View Full Version : Help with lyman 45 lubesizer

nlpro
02-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Hi i'm new to casting and have been lurking around here to learn what i need to know and i'm all set up now except my old lube sizer .My grandfather gave me an old lyman 45 lubesizer it is orange with the ventilated cap on the tube. I have been trying to get it cleaned up i have boiled it and its all clean except can not get the cap off the tube, Does that cap unscrew or just pop off the tube if its not stuck ? The tube unscrewed off the body easy but i just cant get the cap off and i don't want to break it .

Also i plan on getting a 2 o-ring pressure nut for it as recommended to me by a friend and i have read about on here .But the pressure nut it has is odd and not like one i have seen any were else . No brass ring as on others i have seen it is 2 piece with 2 screws holding the top half to the bottom and what appears to be a cloth seal sandwiched in between the top and bottom pieces.Has anyone seen one like that before ? My grandfather is 96 and cant remember how old it is and i am wondering if its an unusual collectable model that i should not be using ?

Dman4321
02-08-2012, 02:22 PM
As for the stuck cap, yes, the tube cap should just pop off... When i got mine from a relative, it was stuck fast, but a bit of penetrating liquid and some elbow grease got it unstuck, then I heated and scrubbed... Maybe a little too hard as mine isnt orange any more.... but it works like a charm!

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-08-2012, 11:56 PM
the ventilated cap on the tube will just lift off,
as mentioned, penetrating oil and maybe a little heat from a heatgun should help.

But the pressure nut it has is odd and not like one i have seen any were else . No brass ring as on others i have seen it is 2 piece with 2 screws holding the top half to the bottom and what appears to be a cloth seal sandwiched in between the top and bottom pieces.Has anyone seen one like that before ?
I have not seen one like that, I have an older lyman 45 with the ventilated cap,,,it has the brass ring style, I also have an older lyman/Ideal #1, it also have the brass ring style.
If I were a guessing man, I'd guess that 2 pc pressure nut with cloth sandwiched, is a homemade deal. I'd sure like to see that.
Jon

nlpro
02-09-2012, 12:43 PM
the ventilated cap on the tube will just lift off,
as mentioned, penetrating oil and maybe a little heat from a heatgun should help.

I have not seen one like that, I have an older lyman 45 with the ventilated cap,,,it has the brass ring style, I also have an older lyman/Ideal #1, it also have the brass ring style.
If I were a guessing man, I'd guess that 2 pc pressure nut with cloth sandwiched, is a homemade deal. I'd sure like to see that.
Jon

i will get a picture of it up as soon as i can

45-70 Chevroner
02-09-2012, 01:41 PM
I believe Lyman still sell rebuild kits for it. I have an old #45 and I ordered the kit and it came with a new center bolt two new O rings a new bottom plate that the new center bolt goes through from the bottom up. This was quite a while ago and I don't remember it costing anything. Just call Lyman and see if they can help you.

I just talked to Lyman and they do sell the rebuild kit for the # 45 Sizer luber.