PDA

View Full Version : Rooster Jacket Lube?

ShooterAZ
02-07-2012, 10:13 PM
I need a few opinions on this product. I'm a still new at this, and when I ordered my molds, bought two big bottles of this stuff. After reading and studying a bunch here I mixed up a batch of the 45/45/10 and have been using it. My early comparison right now is that the Rooster Jacket works a LOT better...I'm wondering if anyone else uses it...not finding much in here about it. Need second and third opinions please! Thanks...

Hamish
02-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Firearm, calibre, projectile, powder, sized as loaded, lubing procedure, powder charge, distance tested, group size, ?????????????

It's important.

btroj
02-07-2012, 10:41 PM
I can make it very simple for you. If it works for your applications then use it. That simple.

I have grown to appreciate the 45/45/10 for low velocity, high volume handgun bullets. It is so fast and easy to lube 1500 bullets that it makes sense. Never used Rooster jacket, can't say anything about it.

stubshaft
02-08-2012, 12:13 AM
I bought some years ago when I was shooting silly wett on the recommendation of a friend. I used it in my 7TCU, 30 Herrett, 30/30 and 7X42 wildcat and was not impressed by it. It did not stop them from leading although the loads with lube normally applied did not lead at all. I ended up using it to prep the bore and to lube PP boolits.

In all fairness I did not use it to lube moderate handgun loads.

ku4hx
02-08-2012, 06:40 AM
Think I'll just go with the same comments I gave ya here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=140556&highlight=Rooster+Jacket

"I've never tried Rooster Jacket since I found no need to. Having no volatile solvents yet being a liquid tells me it's likely water based. Nothing inherently wrong with that, it just sounds a lot like water based paint to me."

imashooter2
02-08-2012, 08:24 AM
I use it for my competition loads in .38 Special and .45 ACP. At 800 - 900 fps it works very well. It dries quick, hard and clean and smokes less than LLA. But LLA and LLA/JPW are superior lubricants and will still work long after RJ has failed (I've shot LLA over 2,000 fps without issue).

ShooterAZ
02-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks...

I've been struggling with the dirtiness of the 45/45/10. It does work OK, but seems to leave a lot of fouling. Maybe I just didn't get the mix just right. The Rooster Jacket leaves the bore bright & shiny...no fouling at all.

I have tried both lubes in .38 Special, .45ACP, and .44Mag. all with Lee TL boolits. I pour a little RJ in a small bowl and just hand dip the boolits up to the shoulder. I then place them nose up on a plastic bag to dry. I do just a couple hundred at a time, so it's no too much of a pain.

Still experimenting...

imashooter2
02-08-2012, 12:30 PM
I tumble the RJ onto conventional design boolits 400 - 500 at a time in an old square plastic Planters Peanut jar and spread them on a trash bag to dry. Handling each boolit individually defeats the major advantage of film lube...

geargnasher
02-09-2012, 03:01 AM
+1 on the trash bag. Waxed paper gets expensive, and I have a roll of Uber-cheap trash bags that are thinner than plastic grocery sacks and not stretchy at all, totally useless for their intended purpose but I have a lifetime supply of large boolit drying surfaces. Wad them up and toss them when they get too gummy.

Gear

williamwaco
02-10-2012, 09:16 PM
I have used Rooster Jacket in the 9mm, .38 Spec and .357 Magnum. I have found it to be completely effective.

One thing I like about it is that it dries completely dry.

Two things I don't like:
It dries completely dry AND completely invisible.
I cannot tell visually after it has dried if a bullet is lubbed or not.

I find it much more difficult to clean out of my seating die than Lee Liquid Alox.