PDA

View Full Version : need some Master Caster tips from the masters of the casters!

Sundogg1911
03-14-2007, 12:09 PM
I got my used Master Caster yesterday (Thanks Little Willy!) It works great! I've been like a kid waiting for Santa Claus! I just plugged it in to make sure everything worked after UPS beat up the box for a few days, and I was dropping some nice boolits in no time :)
The one think I don't like in the design is that the cast boolits drop into the middle of the machine frame. I'm sure I could rig something if I want to cut a hole in my work bench, and have them drop into a box or tray, but i'd rather not. Or I could make some kind of frame to get it up a few inches above the top of my bench, which would make it rough to flux, since I have a range hood mounted above the bench. How are you Guys doing it? :roll:

B747
03-14-2007, 12:38 PM
I mounted mine to the bench with just the rear 4 bolts and let the cutout extend out beyond the bench.
Most of the weight, ( the pot ) is towards the rear.

Then just build up somthing under the cutout to hold a padded box to catch the bullets --- your wifes end table will work well here.

Wally

Sundogg1911
03-14-2007, 12:47 PM
B747,
That's kind of how I thought people are using them. Since my Wife will be using the Master Caster for Her Boolits (Yes....She's casts Her own too) I don't think i'll get away with the end table. ;-)

03-14-2007, 04:40 PM
sundoggy let us know what type of molds you are using and how you like it as to hand casting. i thought the bullet droped in one continer and the spur in another. thanks

Sundogg1911
03-14-2007, 06:27 PM
it does drop the sprue cuts in the front of the machine. there's a small sheetmetal baffle that seperates the 2. I guess from what people that have'em are saying, you either have to bolt them with only the back 4 bolts (Most of the weight is in the back because that's where the pot mounts) or you can cut a hole in the bench to collect the sprue, and bullets in seperate containers underneath. :) I plan to make a seperate stand out of 2 x 12 with a hole that drops to a shelf to collect the bullets in a padded box. The sprue will drop into a wooden box in the front so that I can drop 'em back in the pot. I'm still curious how other people are doing it. I'm really suprised the amount of people on here that have them. The only bad think i've heard is they are not as quick as using 3 molds at once, but it's a steady pace that allows you to sit. much easier on me than the hand molds. But I see how much I like it after 4 or 5 thousand projectiles. All indications point to I will love it! I'm not going to stop with the hand molds, just another option. It came with 4 molds. :)

BD
03-15-2007, 12:09 PM
I have mine mounted over a rectangular hole in the counter so that the boolits drop onto a leather "ramp" and roll into a wood box off to the right side and the sprues drop into a paint can right in front of me. BD

44woody
03-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Sundog1911 here a tip for you I just got some of the spew plate lube from the bull shop and does it ever make a big difference don't get any more smears of lead on the top of the mould now that is the only job I really did not like to do was to clean off those smears of lead off my moulds :castmine: 44Woody