PDA

View Full Version : 6.5mm High Velocity

45 2.1
03-14-2007, 07:33 AM
The picture is a group shot by someone I know that does understand how to get some velocity out of 6.5mm boolits. The velocity was 2,023 fps in an 8" twist barrel. Take a look you unbelievers.

BABore
03-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Not too bad. Would like to see the group a little more rounded though. Looks like there's room for improvement. :wink:

That was shot with open sights right?

45 2.1
03-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Not too bad. Would like to see the group a little more rounded though. Looks like there's room for improvement. :wink:

That was shot with open sights right?

Not too bad for a 100 yd. high velocity group. I'll let him off this time, but that flyer looks like it should have gone in.

I'm not sure about the sighting arrangement. It could have been with either actually.

felix
03-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Would require a scope, or an exquisite open arrangement, to repeat anywhere close. With my eyes, I discount any open sight group outside of average for me or the gun. ... felix

BABore
03-14-2007, 09:41 AM
but that flyer looks like it should have gone in.

I'll have to remember that one. [smilie=1:

45 2.1
03-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Would require a scope, or an exquisite open arrangement, to repeat anywhere close. With my eyes, I discount any open sight group outside of average for me or the gun. ... felix

Actually, the old scheutzen masters told how to do this with open/receiver sights, AND IT WORKS. You need a blackout condition around you with the target illuminated well. The sights stand out as dead black and sight alignment is repeatable. Definition is quite excellent doing this. I have my bench set up this way and it is possible to match receiver sight groups with scope groups from the same rifle.