PDA

View Full Version : Lube Wars title fight - Jake's Moly Ceresin vs. Lars Red Carnauba - money on the line

BigSlick
03-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Jake's Moly Ceresin vs. Lar's Red Carnauba

Both have good reputation

Both are cheaper than commercial lube

Both are less hassle than making your own

Both deliver miraculous results if you believe what you read on FleaBay

Jakes is cheaper.

Have any of you used both and decided upon one or the other ? If so, please post the details of your decision for one or the other.

I'm getting tired of ordering a few sticks at a time and think it's time to buy enough to hold me for a while, maybe a couple of years.

Hoping some of your past experience with these can help me put the money in the right spot to get the best bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance,

'Slick
________
HERB VAPORIZER (http://vaporizer.org/reviews)

bishopgrandpa
03-14-2007, 07:29 AM
Have Jake's in the lubsizer right now to try but have used Lar's w/o any complaints.Good stuff.

44man
03-14-2007, 09:15 AM
Accuracy will be the deciding factor. Just lack of leading is not good enough.
Keep us informed but you will have a tough time beating either Felix or Lar's lubes. I am like a broken record, stuck on both.

felix
03-14-2007, 10:02 AM
One of these days there will be discovered a polymer that can be used as an accurate lube in all seasons with any bore size we would be interested in. The "lube" probably already exists, but finding it on purpose would a major undertaking. By accident, OK, tell the shooting world. We need folks interested in purchasing stuff off of various shelves whenever something "new" appears. One thing to keep in mind, the lube must be able to be cut with normal solvents we normally use, and that feature is the most important one without doubt. Some of these lubes will get hard when fired and then turn into something impossible to clean out. We can easily cut the Felix or Lars lube with a spray can of Power Lube (CRC brand) for example. In fact, I cut the viscosity of a lube made for revolter boolits when applied to rifle boolits by spraying them with this spray lube and rolling them around on a paper towel. Some of these polymers cannot be cut with this technique, and that is the first sign of a major, major problem, fired or not. ... felix

Bullshop
03-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Why not make it a world war and add the other major countrys. You may find something worth the extra $. Dont baby the test, push the pressure to the limit. Felix lube is a major player with this group and gets nothing but rave review's. How about it Felix? I can deploy an Alaska teritorial guard unit ready for battle under the most extream conditions. I think this will be most interesting!!! BS standing by!
BIC/BS

Hip's Ax
03-14-2007, 07:41 PM
I think your comparing apples and oranges. Since Lar does not offer a moly lube you should be shooting Jake's Scarlet against Carnauba Red

Arnie
03-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Has any one tried the Taurax grease that was so popular years ago .It was made by Texaco i think for lubing paper mills and railroads .Cant think of his name right now but the guy that commersialized the poly wads as gas checks was pushing it .Arnie

felix
03-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Merrill Martin was probably the first with the lube and the moly coating as seperate ideas. He developed the method of applying the moly. It appears neither idea worked completely through, meaning there was something wrong with both. Moly under fire turns acidic and that was known up front. BR folks using these coated bullets did not care because a barrel was typically "shot" out in the throat in the same amount of time as without using moly. Not sure about the final disposition of the lube. Personal opinion, is that the viscosity was too high for all but a few applications. ... felix

mike in co
03-15-2007, 12:41 AM
Merrill Martin was probably the first with the lube and the moly coating as seperate ideas. He developed the method of applying the moly. It appears neither idea worked completely through, meaning there was something wrong with both. Moly under fire turns acidic and that was known up front. BR folks using these coated bullets did not care because a barrel was typically "shot" out in the throat in the same amount of time as without using moly. Not sure about the final disposition of the lube. Personal opinion, is that the viscosity was too high for all but a few applications. ... felix

sorry felix but i gotta call bs on moly turning acidic in firearms..

would you please furnish some facts and data to support your statement.

i'll eat my words but as a shooter of moly for years i can tell that most "data" on moly is wrong....just old wives tales.

(i'm talking moly coated bullets in typical modern firearms)

mike in co

felix
03-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Also, Mike, lube containing aluminum stearate will eventually eat into the bore as well. It leaves an acidic reaction, but when guns are cleaned with materials that neutralize the acid components/leftovers, there will be no problem as far as you can tell. It just depends on too many factors after the use of aluminum and/or moly. ... felix