PDA

View Full Version : Asperley Aimless

RayinNH
02-05-2012, 11:41 AM
I was perusing a couple issues of "Rifle" magazine from 1977 that I picked up at the last gunshow for $.25 per issue. Anywhoo in the "Dear Editor" column there was mention of the article entitled "Developmental History of the Asperley Aimless Firearm", issue #52 1977. You might keep your eyes peeled if your interested in this legendary firearm :wink:...Ray

Beekeeper
02-05-2012, 12:09 PM
you are just trying to start trouble aren't you Ray?
I have been after Buckshot for years to sell me his asperly aimless but he insists on holding on to it.
Something about history and cops I think!

Thats OK someday I will find someone with one that is willing to pay enough for me to take off their hands, just wait!

beekeeper

Char-Gar
02-05-2012, 12:29 PM
I traded mine off years ag for a primo Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. I wish I still had it, the Daisy I mean.

runfiverun
02-05-2012, 02:35 PM
i still have a big box of the caseless rounds, but none of the paperless patches for them.

crabo
02-05-2012, 03:09 PM
I've got plenty of loob grooves for them if you need them.

stubshaft
02-05-2012, 04:14 PM
you are just trying to start trouble aren't you Ray?
I have been after Buckshot for years to sell me his asperly aimless but he insists on holding on to it.
Something about history and cops I think!

Thats OK someday I will find someone with one that is willing to pay enough for me to take off their hands, just wait!

beekeeper

I'll never let mine go. I am going to bequeath it to whichever relative stupid enough to shoot it along with a lifetime supply of backordered loob grooves.

Blacksmith
02-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Remember there are a bunch of noobes on this forum who have never heard of the Asperly Aimless. This might just be the chance to unload... I mean get rid of one to someone who is unsuspecting as long as someone doesn't spill the beans on these fine rare out standing examples of the gunmakers art as practiced by that paragon of balistic innovation professor Asperly.

Frank46
02-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Is this the 50 caliber with reverse gain twist rifling? Or the more common one with straight rifling?. Frank

02-06-2012, 12:15 AM
A quite elderly and long-dead neighbor had one with interrupted rifling. His widow gave it to his teenage mistress as a going away present.

dromia
02-06-2012, 03:12 AM
We have had quiet a few discussions on this classic. A search should turn up some further illuminating and insightful understandings of the Asperley Aimless.

stubshaft
02-06-2012, 04:26 AM
See also; loob grooves

wgr
02-06-2012, 06:23 AM
A quite elderly and long-dead neighbor had one with interrupted rifling. His widow gave it to his teenage mistress as a going away present.

that interrupted rifling is what got me interested

stubshaft
02-07-2012, 02:15 AM
Due to the increased interest in the AA I will reprint a copy of the initial design parameters as reported by brother Buckshot.

..........I recently came across the name of Proff Brutus Asperly in some casual reading, and recalled his remarkable firearms invention, the Asperly Aimless series of rifles. In fact I had been almost successfull in expunging from my memory the fact that I did in fact still own one. I felt that by now I might be safe in re-aquainting myself with the piece.

I then went outside and removed the Asperly from where it was propping up a corner of my wife's potting bench. As I stood there holding it, my mind went back to when it had become mine. I'm sure all of you can recall such incidents yourselves. I had the 'Need', and you know how that goes. The haggleing was long and drawn out. Both the owner and I were growing weary of the back and forth offers and counter offers. It was becoming acrimonious and I could get him to go no higher.

Giving up, I pocketed his hard earned $30 and shouldering the Asperly, I went home. Reference material on these is scarce to the point of being non-existant. I suppose it wasn't well advertised and owners may have been reluctant to mention owning one?

Regardless, I have done my best in determining the model of which I became the owner. I have come to beleive that this is the Asperly Grande Deluxe Spontaneous Model, MkII. The Target version at that. I further believe it had been owned by a target shooting team, as the initials AT&SF are branded into the stock. As further evidence of it being a target model, what I thought at first were spare cartridge recepticals are in fact places for addition weight.

There are 4 such places and after much experimentation I have found that cheap and easy to come by railroad spikes fit handily into each hole. This allows weight regulation. The stock is also very well weatherproofed. The stock is also fully checkered in what appears to be the rasp and hammer method, an early forerunner of the more common impressed type checkering.

Beyond assertaining it to be the Target version, strong evidence of it being also of Grande Deluxe lineage (and the MkII at that) is how the stamped sheet metal breech block and cotter key breech locking device are both fully engraved. Bear in mind too that the cotter key is retained by a BRASS bead chain. The engraving is very tastefully done with what was apparently a prick punch and single jack.

As an example, on the side of the action, what some have thought to be a dog pointing at a turkey, is in fact a dog pointing. However under close examination it comes to light that he is using his left rear leg to point not at a turkey but a bush. There must be quail under it. Scenes of this type are not often seen on the more mundane firearms.

To leave the firearm for a moment, we should know the reason for the good proffessors developement of these rather unique firearms. While not a hunter or even a 'Gun Guy' himself, he felt that there was no longer any real sport in game hunting with the modern cartridges available. Add to that the magic of rangefinding scopes, scent killing clothes, etc and etc. In addition to that, with such things, the poor hunter's entire experience is over way too fast. So our exceptional Prof Brutus Asperly conjured up a means to give both the game animal and the hunter a much richer experience.

In the next installment I'll explain and describe the rather unusual sights, loading proceedure, and if I feel up to it we might even fire it.

runfiverun
02-07-2012, 08:40 PM
airc:
he had some difficulty with the bead chain cutting the corners of the cardboard chamber adaptor
and then lost the cotter key after modifying the chain.

linotype
02-07-2012, 09:22 PM
My Great-Grandfather had a miniatures version of this firearm, which he used for gallery shooting in the sitting parlor. I remember those nights when we gathered, to take our turns targeting the clay pipes and metal ducks lined up on the window sill. Still brings a tear to my eye.