PDA

View Full Version : Washington handgun rules?

lylejb
02-05-2012, 01:37 AM
I will soon be taking weeklong trip in washington state.

As with any trip I take, I keep my favorite piece of iron in the " emergency tool kit"

Does Washington have any unusual rules about transporting / storing handguns I should be aware of?

Any links?

Thanks.

shaune509
02-05-2012, 01:29 PM
The basics are that the gun can not be loaded in the car unless you have a concelled permit. The unloaded gun is to be out of direct access of the pasengers, ie locked case in rear of car.
This is a simple review of the RCW that can be read on line @ the state legisture web site. Sorry I don't have the RCW chapter number to ease your search. Hope this helps.
Shaune509

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-05-2012, 09:51 PM
yeah, unloaded gun in a locked case,
Might as well have a rock on the dash to throw at the bad guys

calkar
02-05-2012, 10:49 PM
lyle, when I travel state to state I carry my win. 94 carbine (magazine tube loaded, but no round chambered) in a soft gibson guitar case that I inserted glued together layers of closed cell athletic mat foam cut and sanded into the shape of a guitar and then cut out a hollow in the center for the winchester to just fit in. I enjoy staying at camping grounds and will not pay the fees for the hotel/motels. No one has ever given the guitar case a second look and the winchester feels very good by my side in the partially unzipped guitar case as I sleep. Other than that, just like our ancestors I carry a good knife under my shirt.

quilbilly
02-06-2012, 01:01 AM
Strangely enough, Washington state does allow "open carry" but, as said before, no loaded firearms in the car without a concealed carry permit. This state does not recognize the CCP's of most other states. As long as it is in the case, you shouldn't have problems (unless you are in Seattle and have a Republican bumper sticker).