PDA

View Full Version : Got some alloy yesterday

Swamprat1052
03-13-2007, 03:34 PM
I went to a couple of tire stores and wound up with a five gal. bucket of wheel weights and one box with about 50 lbs in it they had boxed up to send to a recycler. They had a lot more but the old boy said he had to save them for the recycler. Now that dont seem christian does it. Anyway when I got it sorted out I had over a bucket of clip ons and a little less than 1/2 a bucket of the glue on ones.

I found 10 or so glue on weights marked zn, so I threw them out. There were some clip on weights I wasnt sure about but I threw them in and kept my temp below 600 *, nothing floated so I think I am ok. All of the clips were floating at around 450* according to my new nifty Lyman Casting Thermometer, when I didnt find any floating weights among them I figured I was good to go. I dont handle a full bucket at one time cause of a damaged back but I melted down about 70 of the lyman ingots today and still have another bunch to do. I figure I made a pretty good haul yesterday and didnt have to pay for them.

I havent smelted the stick ons yet, but arent they supposed to be pure lead? I dont have any tin to mix with it but I do have 30 lbs or so of linotype. How would that work to make it about the same as wheel weight. I guess my next investment will be a hardness tester. Aint it amazing how much money you can save doing this? lol.

Swamprat

3sixbits
03-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Why not offer the guy you got the WW from twice what the recycler will pay him? If you add lino to your WW you will have outstanding alloy @ 7.5% Sb and 2% Sn if you mix at 50 50 WW to lino. Assuming your lino is 12% Sb and 4% Sn.