PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pistol Rest

Green Frog
02-03-2012, 01:31 PM
For whatever reason I can't seem to get the board search function to work today. I'm looking for info about the long-discontinued Lee Pistol Rest ( a sort of poor man's Ransom Rest) and specifically any information about potential sources for inserts. I need an insert for the Ruger BlackHawk, and any and all suggestions and sources will be most appreciated! :bigsmyl2:

Froggie

TCFAN
02-03-2012, 06:10 PM
I have one of those Lee pistol machine rests. Don't know where you might find any of the inserts. Wish Lee still made them.
I find with mine,if the handgun has a scope on it I can shoot groups as good off of sand bags as if the gun was mounted in the rest. Now if the gun has open sights that is something else......................Terry

Green Frog
02-03-2012, 06:24 PM
The problem is that they weren't made by the current company calling itself Lee Precision, but by some sort of Lee relative who, after getting a "cease and desist" ruling on using the name Lee, became "Mequon" which is now completely gone and out of business. Sad really, as they made some good products too.

Froggie

PS I'd love to find a BlackHawk insert to even get measurements off of to copy... I have some aluminum plate that should work fine and access to a machine shop. Anybody out there have one you would sell, rent or loan??

Longwood
02-03-2012, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=Green Frog;1574443]The problem is that they weren't made by the current company calling itself Lee Precision, but by some sort of Lee relative who, after getting a "cease and desist" ruling on using the name Lee, became "Mequon"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of my biggest complaints about how America's Capitalist government works.
Can you imagine all of the really cool (and cheaper of course) products that would be out now if it were not for soooo much Corporate greed that puts a stop to them.

noylj
02-04-2012, 01:41 AM
Yes, how dare Lee protect their name. Why, I have no idea why they should protect their intellectual property.
That's why all the really brilliant ideas come from Mainland China and other communist countries.
If only economics was taught in school. Then again, if only any thing was taught in school...

MikeS
02-04-2012, 03:15 AM
Well, if the Lee relative's name was Lee, then there's no way they could be stopped from using it. If Lee Precision is one family member's company name, and Lee Shooting Products (or whatever) was the other's, it can't be stopped. But, if the other family member's family name wasn't Lee (like if Lee was the wife's maiden name, etc.) than they CAN be stopped from using it. As they were stopped, I would say that they were improperly using the Lee name, to try and cash in on the other companies name/reputation. This exact issue came up in my family years ago, when my grandfather left the family business started by his father, when it was owned by him, and his brother, and he had his brother buy him out. He then went into business for himself, and his brother sued him, trying to get him not to use his own name as the company name. His brother lost. This has happened many times in the past, there used to be a company called Fortunoff, and one of the family members left, and opened a similar business, using their name, law suit followed, so it ended when he had to add something else to the name. In that case his store went from being "Fortunoff's" (which was the same as the larger family owned business) to being "Fortunoff's of Hewlett" (the town the store was in)

And also, brilliant IDEAS don't come from China, and other combloc nations, just good copies of other folks ideas.

Green Frog
02-04-2012, 07:48 AM
My intent here was not to start a political debate, nor one on capitalistic practices. The family member(s) who had been involved with the original Lee company in some way, started a second company with some similar and some unique products... that's all water over the dam. What I really want to do is get back to the idea of whether anyone has access to different inserts to use this now discontinued unit with different handguns. I think I have one or two extras that are duplicates or for firearms I won't be likely to be testing (some semi-autos, for instance) but need them for revolvers, especially the Blackhawk and S&W J-frames. Any ideas on this subject?

TIA ~ Froggie

Bret4207
02-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Froggie, could you post a picture of the insert? Maybe that will lead to someone coming up with and idea for you.

Janoosh
02-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Mr. Green Frog. I have one of the Lee pistol rests with three inserts. I believe for a 1911, 45, a Browning High Power, and a revolver of some sort. I have to search my "warehouse" (apartment) for it. I will post tomorrow with what I have, If that's ok with you. From what I remember, the stocks are to be removed and then the revolver clamped in. Till tomorrow then.

Mike W1
02-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Have factory insert for a Security Six and a copy for a 1911. Can do some pix if that'll do you any good.

noylj
02-05-2012, 01:53 AM
A story. Years ago, on both west and east ends of one of the non-populated western states, There was an oil supply company named Exxon.
When Exxon changed their name to Exxon, they found out about this little oil supply company and sued them
The judge ruled that Exxon was infringing on the original's name and they settled for an "unspecified" sum of money. A large "unspecified" sum of money.

Janoosh
02-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Mr. Green Frog. As promised, I'm posting my goods, your needs. I searched "the warehouse" (my apartment) and found: Lee Pistol Machine Rest. Lee Custom Engineering Inc, Hartford Wisconsin. Adapters: 9mm Luger, 45 acp, and........ Ruger BlackHawk, Super & Hawes. Pm me and it is at your disposal. The adapter is what your looking for will ship easily.

Green Frog
02-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Mr. Green Frog. As promised, I'm posting my goods, your needs. I searched "the warehouse" (my apartment) and found: Lee Pistol Machine Rest. Lee Custom Engineering Inc, Hartford Wisconsin. Adapters: 9mm Luger, 45 acp, and........ Ruger BlackHawk, Super & Hawes. Pm me and it is at your disposal. The adapter is what your looking for will ship easily.

PM inbound, Janoosh. Thanks!

Froggie

hk33ka1
02-05-2012, 06:39 PM
There used to be Lee Engineering, Mequon was involved some way too. After the split or whatever in the 70's Lee Precision became Richard Lees new company. I think some of the product rights stayed with Mequon and Lee couldn't make those anymore.

I didn't know they made tools/items other than reloading stuff. A photo would be cool!

Green Frog
02-05-2012, 08:51 PM
There used to be Lee Engineering, Mequon was involved some way too. After the split or whatever in the 70's Lee Precision became Richard Lees new company. I think some of the product rights stayed with Mequon and Lee couldn't make those anymore.

I didn't know they made tools/items other than reloading stuff. A photo would be cool!

Here is a copy of a scan that was posted on shooters.com a couple of years ago when this question came up. I'll try to get an actual photo of the unit when I get it out to inventory my existing inserts. FYI, the semi-autos use an insert that approximates the magazine of the gun in question with a set screw to take up the slack. Revolvers on the other hand seem to need a sort of aluminum grip panel to clamp onto the grip frame from the outside.

Froggie

I couldn't get it to attach, but here is the URL to the thread about them;
http://www.shootersforum.com/handloading-equipment/14060-lee-custom-mequon-pistol-rest.html