PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 1 clocking

nanuk
02-02-2012, 11:46 PM
are Ruger 1's all clocked the same?

how about #3's?

I am thinking of putting a #3 45/70 barrel on my 1B in 270.

I'll need to replace the extractor?

Bambeno
02-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Not likely to be lucky enough for it to clock right without lathe work. Have not messed with alot of them but I think the extractors are different also.

nanuk
02-10-2012, 12:42 PM
I have always been lead to believe the receivers are identical, so I was thinking the extractors would be the same, (except for the shape, so a simple replacement would be easy) as would be the threads.

and I was hoping the threads were clocked the same as this barrel still has the front sight on it, and they are a shrunk fit (from what I have been told) and I do not want to mess with it.

scb
02-10-2012, 02:22 PM
I've changed barrels on a few of them and the ones I've done "clocked" the same. It's almost a necessity for mass production. To be clear a #1 extractor will work in a #3. They are different between cartridges (a 223 extractor won't drop in and work on a 45-70).

S.R.Custom
02-10-2012, 06:02 PM
I've changed barrels on a few of them and the ones I've done "clocked" the same. It's almost a necessity for mass production...

Indeed. Recently I was talking to a gentleman who had purchased a Ruger No. 1 pull-off barrel from me. He was putting it on a Ruger 77. It seems the gentleman likes to build M77s with No. 1 barrels because he likes the quarter rib and open sight configuration.

Anyway, he was telling me that not only are the barrels clocked the same, but the clocking and headspacing are the same between the 77 and No. 1. And the two guns have a few profiles in common, too. Of the dozen or so that he's built, he says he's only had to do lathe work on one of them.

Now that bit of hearsay is worth what you paid for it; I have not had the opportunity to test it. But the idea is interesting enough I may have to try it sometime.

Typecaster
02-10-2012, 06:34 PM
I've swapped on both a #1 and a #3. Put a .375 H&H barrel on the #1—lined up the witness marks and headspace was OK using a feeler gauge and a new case. I had to swap extractors as it was originally a .243.

I've also put a #1-V .223 barrel on a #3 action, but haven't checked the headspace yet. That was originally a .223, so no extractor change was necessary.

Richard

nanuk
02-12-2012, 07:33 PM
what I am doing is putting a No3 barrel (45/70) on a No1 (270Win)

sounds like it is not a difficult switch.

Will I need a new extractor?
Where would I find one of those?

Oh... I also read there is a difference between the the 77 and the 77Mk11. the No1 fits one exactly, and the other needs some work.... Can't remember where I read this though.

Typecaster
02-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Yes, you'll need an extractor. They can be ordered from Ruger or Numrich, and it seems to me they're less than $10 U.S. If necessary, you could cautiously grind the .270 extractor to fit the 45-70 rim.

Be VERY careful disassembling the action. You can jam a nail or punch through a hole in the mainspring strut—having that mainspring take off would make for an exciting time. IIRC, you block the cocked spring, then the innards will slide right out of the action.

You'll need to remove the quarter rib from the #1 barrel as it will hit the strut when you unscrew it. Some lift off the hidden studs easily, others need some persuasion.

Richard

nanuk
02-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Typecaster

I doubt Ruger will ship to me, in Canada, and for SURE Numrich will NOT.

I'll probably have to pay more than triple to get one from someone up here.

the joys of living in Canada!