PDA

View Full Version : Load separation.

Harter66
02-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Apoligies if this has been covered 100 times or is stickied somplace.

I'm probably the only 1 that has ever loaded up for the range and headed out only have to pound brakes for whatever reason or maybe a new pothole got you . Now you work up loads are all over and mixed up.

Ta da

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_123384f2b4e79ef5f7.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3730)

W/ 1 color you can easily do 4-6 loads w/variations 1/2 head cal/manif.or full head w/w/o primer,or none. The best part the sharpie comes off before the brass is done in the tumbler or w/some isopropol alc.

geargnasher
02-03-2012, 12:23 AM
I haven't had that happen yet, but fear it, especially with some of my not-so-perfect-fit FA ammo boxes. Loaded rounds can jumble with the lid closed in some intances.

My solution has been to mark just the primer with a sharpie. No messy marker on the case head to mess up clothing or stain fingertips while handling, or reloading next time. When you decap it, it's de-marked. I use a dot, a slash, and an X. If doing more than that, I write numbers on the primers with the same sharpie. Obviously, it has to be sharp.

Gear

buyobuyo
02-03-2012, 12:32 AM
I use small plastic bags and just write the load on it with a sharpie. It's easy enough to re-use and just cross out the old data written on the bag or write with a different color. You could also slip a piece of paper in the bag with the load info if you didn't want to write on the bag.

Mk42gunner
02-03-2012, 01:03 AM
I have done the rounds in the baggie trick before, the snack size work well for just a few rounds. This also works good for when you don't have caliber specific boxes for whatever you are shooting.

Lately I have started using a sharpie to mark the rounds with. If I just have two or three loads, I marke the primer; if I am testing two or more powders, I write the load on the case.

When all is said and done, it depends if I find the sharpie or the box of baggies first, when I am loading the test rounds.

Robert

MBTcustom
02-03-2012, 01:14 AM
I have already patented the idea of marking your brass with markers or paint pens, you are in violation of stealing my idea! Seriously, good thinking I do this not only to differentiate between loads, but also the help examine the brass after its been fired so I can "read tea leaves".

crabo
02-03-2012, 01:18 AM
I use the ziplock bags also. I take a post-it note, fold it in half and write all of the info on the note. Then I throw the note away after I transfer it to the target with a sharpie.

If I have a chrono tape, I'll scotch tape it to the target, put a orange backer behind the target, and scan it. I try to write my info big enough that I can read it easily on the computer monitor.

stubshaft
02-03-2012, 01:48 AM
I use MTM ammo boxes and put a piece of sponge rubber inside the lid to keep the ammo in it's proper place. On the cover I use a piece os masking tape with the load data and the corresponding rows listed.

leftiye
02-03-2012, 05:47 AM
Sounds like load intgration LOL. I use baggies, mark the baggie!

ku4hx
02-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Store brand quart freezer bags and computer printed load labels. They seal tightly enough and the labels peel off to reuse the bags. Most brand bags have strip for writing on which works well too.

For a time I used cartridge boxes, but that got to be a royal PITA. Sold a bunch of them to a forum member and bought more freezer bags.

Bret4207
02-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Zip lock freezer baggies and a strip of paper with the info. I've also done the "easily ID's ammo" ammo thing, ie- If it's a 38 brass with a 358477 it's 5.0 Unique, WC it's 2.7 BE, 38 nickle and a 358156 is a 2400 load, 357 156 is a hotter 2400 load, etc.

Reload3006
02-03-2012, 08:15 AM
yep I have been marking my work ups like that for years not because of an accident but because I have had CRS for so many years I wouldn't be able to remember which was which if I didn't.

Grandpas50AE
02-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Store brand quart freezer bags and computer printed load labels. They seal tightly enough and the labels peel off to reuse the bags. Most brand bags have strip for writing on which works well too.

For a time I used cartridge boxes, but that got to be a royal PITA. Sold a bunch of them to a forum member and bought more freezer bags.

Mine are had-written labels, but all the rest same as the way you do it. Works pretty well.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-03-2012, 08:40 AM
I use MTM ammo boxes and put a piece of sponge rubber inside the lid to keep the ammo in it's proper place. On the cover I use a piece os masking tape with the load data and the corresponding rows listed.

Yep, that's basically what I do to.

the only time I break out the black sharpie is for marking questionable, but passable Rifle brass...expecially the 22 horn, boy those cases don't last very long.

The red sharpie is exclusive for marking the 9x18 brass that I converted from 9mm Nato brass.
Jon

Doc_Stihl
02-03-2012, 09:19 AM
I have a bunch of different color sharpies and just mark the primers.

When developing a load I might try 3 or 4 different primers with the same load and it's easy to identify and once the primer is removed there's no mess.

If my brass will stand up, I sharpie the top of the boolit.

high standard 40
02-03-2012, 09:36 AM
I have Sharpies in black, red, blue, green, purple, and orange. I color only the primer and bring a notepad with all the load info by color.

**oneshot**
02-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Colored sharpies, and a dot or slash mark.
1dot 2 dot 3 dot slash X circle
When I change powder/primer/seating depth then I change colors

I usually mark my targets with the dot/slash pattern so I can see them from the bench. All the info is written down. My targets are usually placed on cardboard backers, when I get to the range I can set up a bunch of test load targets in the order I wish to fire them in very little time.

captaint
02-03-2012, 10:22 AM
I label boxes like everybody. I also mark the case heads that have loose primer pockets, so I don't load them again. Into the scrap pile!! enjoy Mike

Lizard333
02-03-2012, 11:01 AM
I like the idea of labeling the primers with different color sharpies. I'm going to have to steal that one. Thanks!!

C.F.Plinker
02-03-2012, 11:19 AM

My variation on this idea is to write the load on thin strips of masking tape. They go across the heads of the cartridges containing that particular load. When at the range, I use a spread sheet form and record my chrono data on it. The tape with the load info goes below the column for that load. I measure the pressure ring diameter at the range and the group size when I get home. This information also goes on the sheet. Then I enter the data into the computer and get a printout with all of the calculation done nice and neat.

Harter66
02-03-2012, 11:20 AM
I've had loads w/marked primers remove nearly all trace. I write the load on the case wall also but need only to focus once per load. I only have a handfull of actual cartridge specific boxes most of which live in the "oh poo" box . So I use a number of 40/44/45 acp and like trays. I aquired a few BP pellet boxes that are just the cats....... for the Colts pictured too.

oldgeezershooter
02-03-2012, 11:24 AM
I keep a journal and have my different loads numbered,then I use a Sharpie and write the # on the case.

geargnasher
02-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Colored sharpies, and a dot or slash mark.
1dot 2 dot 3 dot slash X circle
When I change powder/primer/seating depth then I change colors

I usually mark my targets with the dot/slash pattern so I can see them from the bench. All the info is written down. My targets are usually placed on cardboard backers, when I get to the range I can set up a bunch of test load targets in the order I wish to fire them in very little time.

I really like part two of your post, I don't know why I never thought of that. It would sure simplify keeping the correct load on the correct target.

Gear

popper
02-03-2012, 03:53 PM
I just use the boxes with Styrofoam holders (Win) and mark on the foam with a sharpie. Pretty soon I need to change the cardboard part.

olafhardt
02-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Since most of what I shoot is cheap bulk Federal 22's from wally world I am going to get some baggies and put them in there with some doodling in crayon and pretend that I am as organized as you guys. Good suggestions BTW.

mpmarty
02-03-2012, 08:10 PM
I've tried it all and gave up. I now keep a ledger at the bench and enter load data on the ledger as I load. I shoot at home so I don't worry about traveling to the range. After I shoot a batch I go back to the ledger and make comments as they seem to need remembering.

ghh3rd
02-03-2012, 10:03 PM
I mark primers too, but sometimes if it's just 20 or 30 rifle rounds I write on the case with a sharpie. I've never had to rub the writing off with alcohol before tumbling -- the tumbling has always removed it competely.

KYCaster
02-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Getting old sux..............I have a really bad case of "The Here Afters"........I walk out of the den into the kitchen to get something and stand there and wonder, "What did I come here after?"

Sooooooooo.......I have to write every thing down. If the rest of my life was as organized as my reloads I'd be in Hog Heaven.

Experimental/test loads go in a zip-lock bag with a post-it note listing all the pertinent info......brass, boolit, primer, powder, lube, alloy, date loaded, etc.

At the range, target ID, chrono data and any comments go on the back of the note and the empty brass goes back in the bag with the note. Back home, info from the note is transferred to the target and the target stored in a three ring binder.

Bulk plinking ammo.........38 spl with Magma 158 RN is loaded with 3.2 gr. Clays and the container is marked with the date it was loaded. Same deal with 44 spl/ Magma 240 SWC/ 9.5 Blue Dot.....32 S&W Long/ NOE 98 gr SWC/ 2.0 gr HP38......etc, etc.

Anything other than the "standard" load gets a detailed description on a post-it note inside the container and a stick on label on the outside. Range sessions have been much less.........exciting.......since I started using this system. I've just about worked through all the old lots of loads left over from the "dark ages". I no longer have to pull a half dozen boolits, weigh the charges and try to ID the powder before I go the range.

Life is good! :drinks:

Jerry

MikeS
02-04-2012, 04:25 AM
I have already patented the idea of marking your brass with markers or paint pens, you are in violation of stealing my idea! Seriously, good thinking I do this not only to differentiate between loads, but also the help examine the brass after its been fired so I can "read tea leaves".

Apparently your patent attorney didn't do a good search, as I hold a patent for this idea dating back to 1978! So I think you need to forward to me all profits you made with your illegal patent.
:kidding:

I normally put my loads in 50 round plastic boxes made by Berry's (made in USA boxes!) and write on the outside of the box what load is in them. If I have just a few loaded rounds that are different from the rest of the box I will mark the primer with a marker, then write the data for those loads on the box as well, but with a black dot before the data, so I know it's for the rounds with a black dot on the primer. I like the idea of using colored markers to denote other loads, so one box can hold several loads.

So now I need to amend my patent, give the lawyer another $1k to do the amendment, etc. So I wish you guys would stop with the good ideas, this is going to cost me lots of money!!
:kidding: