PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook

LxOxD
02-02-2012, 10:10 PM
First post!
I'm hooked...It's just a matter of time and a little more money before I start casting my own, but first a question:

I own Lyman's Pistol and Revolver Handbook and I'd like to buy Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook but I like to know if most of the recipes are already covered in Pistols & Revolvers? The recipes (with different powders) are what I want not so much the how-to articles. TBH 20$ for another book isn't a waste, more information is always a good thing, I just don't want to be disappointed. Thanks.

02-02-2012, 11:07 PM
There are variances between the different editions of the Pistol and Revolver Handbooks, depending on the publication date, and the loads were just extractions from Lyman's Reloading Handbooks.

I have eight various Lyman handbooks, but I could get by with only the 3rd Cast Bullet Handbook and the 48th Reloading Handbook.

The Cast Bullet and Reloading Handbooks have rifle loads, in addition to handguns loads.

runfiverun
02-02-2012, 11:25 PM
i also have the third and the 48th no the 47th.
these are the two i most often turn to when looking for cast loads. [not the only two i own]
lymans #4 is pretty good if you have a lot of aa-5744 on hand, and don't mind using only linotype bullets.
i need to find another number 3 though, mine is falling apart.

canyon-ghost
02-02-2012, 11:30 PM
3rd Cast Bullet Handbook and the 48th Reloading Handbook.

I have the new 49th to go with them and Speer #13. I do use those two the most.

LxOxD
02-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Sorry i wasn't clear: I have pistols and revolver #3 and want to buy cast bullets #4 I don't want to spend 20$ to get the same recipes that are in Pistols #3
What makes makes me suspicious is I looked at a friends' Lyman #49 and the pistol recipes were all the same as in pistols and revolvers #3
BTW i can't find cast #3 for less that 50$(used)!

geargnasher
02-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Lyman has been using and publishing some of the same data for nearly 50 years. It seems like the only time they work up new loads is when new powders come out.

Gear

Mk42gunner
02-03-2012, 12:56 AM
I have Lymans Pistol and Revolver Reloading Handbook, second edition and Cast Bullet Hanbook, third editon.

I have not looked at a fourth ed. Cast Bullet Handbook, but there has to be at least some newer data in it, the data in the 3rd ed dates from about 1980, IIRC, so there isn't anything in it for the newer cartridges like the .32 H&R Mag, 10mm, or .40 S&W just to name a few.

You cannot have too much loading data or refernce books, in my opinion.

Robert

MBTcustom
02-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Its just my opinion, and its worth exactly what I'm charging for it. You should get a Lyman book that deals with rifles too (its only a matter of time) but if you want different load data, you need different books. Everybody knows that less than 2300FPS is cast boolit territory. That covers most handgun loads. I have books from Hornady, Lyman, Lee, Speer (my personal favorite), and Sierra. There is also Hodgdons online reloading information that I have been using for the last two years. The only limitations I have found is when I am dealing with a realy fast rifle (like 300winmag or 270winchester) Most of the time you can run a heavier boolit and just use starting loads for rifle. Pretty much all of the pistol loads are a snap, because they are relatively low-speed projectiles.

02-03-2012, 01:11 AM
As I mentioned, the Pistol and Revolver Handbook loads are taken directly from the Reloading Handbooks. They are redundant and don't list loads that are any different than the Reloading Handbooks of the same vintage. If you want the latest, most up to date loads, buy the Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th edition.

Fifty bucks for a 3rd edition!? I'll sell you mine for $45. Try ebay.

ku4hx
02-03-2012, 09:55 AM
There's an enormous amount of data in Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook unrelated to loads that is wonderful data.

The non load data is specifically related to boolit casting in general, alloys, and the like and is a superior reference.

fryboy
02-03-2012, 10:05 AM
i like ye olde #'s 46 and 47 best but that's just me , the 48 rarely gets opened but i do pursue the 49 from time to time , the pistol #3 is decent and i dont have the #2 to compare it too and all of the cast boolit books are worthy IMHO altho with the page background in the #4 it is a lil distracting/busy , as for nirt and girty ... #4 cast boolit book has alot of data that isnt in any of the other books , mainly the use of non-lyman molds , perhaps not all of our favorite molds but who else has actual data for the lee 310 grain .44 boolit ? ( there are others molds/data of course but ...)
after the #46 manual lyman stopped listing much in the way of non-current factory offerings , gone was the wildcats and many of the older cartridges , the 4th cast bullet book has some of the older ( and more popular) cartridges but sadly no contender/encore section ( which i'd rather have than yesteryear's big cartridges but again that's just me ) yeah to me it was worth the $20 ( can be found a lil cheaper on sale or at various locales/suppliers )

Lizard333
02-03-2012, 11:28 AM
I use the Lyman cast #4 and I buy the caliber specific manuals for every caliber I own. Between the two I find just about all the info I need. The caliber specific cover most manufactures and most powder companies. A great buy because you get more than one companies info. They are usually about 8 bucks.

02-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Many load listeds in the 45th were either dropped or reduced, when the 3rd cast and 46th reloading handbooks were published. Were there not lawyers in 1975?

RevGeo
02-03-2012, 11:42 AM
I still use my late father's Handbook Of Cast Bullets (the first one). I love reading a handbook from the days before massive litigations; when the reader was assumed to possess a modicum of common sense. It has loads of loads for old cartridges and long-gone powders. It's still the best manual I own.
I also use Lyman #46, Hodgdon #6 and Speer #10. Of course I take advantage of on-line resources and really appreciate the years of experience contained on forums such as this one.

1Shirt
02-07-2012, 11:42 AM
IMO you can never have to many Loading manuals and references.
1Shirt!:coffee:

geargnasher
02-07-2012, 12:10 PM
First post!
I'm hooked...It's just a matter of time and a little more money before I start casting my own, but first a question:

I own Lyman's Pistol and Revolver Handbook and I'd like to buy Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook but I like to know if most of the recipes are already covered in Pistols & Revolvers? The recipes (with different powders) are what I want not so much the how-to articles. TBH 20$ for another book isn't a waste, more information is always a good thing, I just don't want to be disappointed. Thanks.

I just reread this, and something bothers me.

You say you haven't even cast a boolit yet, and ask about what loading data the cast bullet book has vs. the other Lyman manuals, but don't want to read the how-to articles??

Those articles and chapters should be the #1 reason to buy the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, right now you need them more than load data to help you get started, unless you're one of the Epitomies that was born knowing everything.

Gear

LxOxD
02-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Whoa, big fella. You read way too much into my question. It is a reloading question only. I own some cast bullits and would like to know more about powder, oal etc. At this time i am NOT casting, if these bulltis work well, it'll be a little longer before i do. I understand the need for educaton quite well, l've been an academic librarian at a college for the past decade. Sadly no libraries carry cast bullits #3. So I came to the authorities on this subjet. PAX

Reload3006
02-07-2012, 01:34 PM
there is a lot of cross over information in the Cast book but its worth owning.

telebasher
02-07-2012, 02:07 PM
As I type this reply, I have within arms reach all of the cast bullet manuals from Lyman and RCBS. Another valued resource is the Modern Reloading Second Edition by Richard Lee. There is alot of imformation and load data for jacketed and cast in the Lee manual. One can't have too much imformation and I like to compare loads from different sources. I guess what i'm trying to say obtain any and all manuals that you can, you won't regret it.

mdi
02-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Lyman's 4th Edition Cast Bullet Handbook has a very good load data section; more bullets and powders listed than the 3rd Edition. The 3rd Edition has better "how to" articles and general info. For load data only, get a 4th. If you shoot lead bullets, you should have one of the Lyman handbooks. I lost my Pistol and Revolver book so I can't commenent/compare the "how to" or data sections there...

Donor8x56r
02-10-2012, 08:41 PM
I find 3rd edition a lot more useful than 4th.I wish I could have a look at 1st and 2nd editions.

I use only 2-3 kinds of powder.

10x
02-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Get the Lyman 3 rd Ed. Handbook, and (from Cornell Publications) a reprint of the first edition. The new 4 th Ed. Is nice but does not meet my goals. It may be what you want.

Rocky Raab
02-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Would anyone like to read my review, as published in Handloader magazine? It would be long, but I'll try to upload it.

Pepe Ray
02-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Rocky
I think that many NEED to read your review.
Wanting to is a seperate issue.
Serious shoppers on a budget should read it.
Good luck;
Pepe Ray

Rocky Raab
02-11-2012, 05:14 PM
How exceptionally kind of you, sir.

I'll start it in a separate thread.

cajun shooter
02-11-2012, 07:29 PM
If you have one Lyman Cast Bullet Hand book then it will be real close to a mirror image of the next issue. Lyman does not change much from year to year. I have #1 and #3 with little change.
Being that you posted that your profession is a librarian may I take a moment to give you some valuable information.
In the sticky section of this forum is a book that is a free download for Cast Boolits members. It was written by two of the most knowledgeable men in the casting world. They are Glenn Fryxell and Ron Applegate. The book is named From Ingot To Target and is one of the better books about our hobby. It is 186 pages and is worth a download and copy to a three leaf binder for a lifetime reference.
I know you stated that you were looking for loading information and have not yet casted that first bullet. This book may just open that door a little wider for you. What have you to lose as the authors have seen fit to offer such a standard for "FREE". Take Care David

LxOxD
02-13-2012, 02:12 AM
Thanks cajun shooter, the Fryxell-Applegate book was one of the first things I saw and downloaded when I got here. It's a fantastic resource.

cbrick
02-13-2012, 09:00 AM
LxOxD, since your a librarian you'll probably agree with this,

If it's a subject that interests you get all the books on that subject that is practicle for your budget. I try to keep up with the latest printing of all of them. In my loading room is a floor to ceiling 3 foot wide book shelf and two of those shelves are the loading manuals, 6 feet of them. I reference and cross reference them constantly, compare the old with the new data. Both fascinating and educational, books on your favorite subject are a wonderful gift to yourself that you'll enjoy for years and years.

And yes, if you think you may ever in the future cast a boolit print out "From Ingot To Target" and get it spiral bound.

Was I correct? Do you agree? Books = Good!

Rick

LxOxD
02-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi Rick, Yes I agree books=good! You have what librarians call a Reference collection and every reloader MUST for their own safety have one. (They're fun too!)

Maybe I could use this opportunity to go off topic, about boolits, and describe how librarians examine and purchase books. I like when people show any interest in my profession and like to talk about it to anyone who'll listen :smile: . Before I start one little misconception about libraries and librarians. We acquire and catalog information regardless of the format. That means books are only a vehicle, what's in them is the driver. For librarians its all about the information.

So, here's how a librarian thinks:

I was examining the contents of one book to see if the information was duplicated in another. Publisher do this all too often to make a buck. If duplicated it would be considered a "Marginal" purchase; you could purchase an entire book on casting boolits, then buy the marginal purchase, budget allowing. Remember: We are using the public's money. We take our responsibilities VERY seriously (unlike other parts of government).Also, we remove old, outdated and inaccurate materials from our collection. Generally people that own reference collections don't because they implicitly understand the difference between old and new information, and the inherent accuracy issues that go along with old information.

Translation/Meaning:

I'm cheap. Well, I see it as purchasing a "marginal" book for 20$ plus shipping: 6-7$ vs. buying a pound of Blue Dot for the new 357SIG rounds I'm cooking up. BUT I WILL buy Lyman Cast Bullets #4 (and probably #3) in time. You should see my reference collection on all the other topics of interest I have.

One last thought:
The people that chat on specialized discussion boards are invaluable incredible RESOURCES! Books and dry facts are two dimensional. Examination and evaluation by people that have lived and experienced is INVALUABLE! If you doubt it, just remember Librarians come to YOU for answers.
Thanks,
Chris (the LxOxD)

1Shirt
02-13-2012, 04:22 PM
My only complaint against the manual is that it does not include data for the 7.5x55 K-31 Swiss. A major oversight in my opinion. They still have data for Japs and Argintines, and I see a lot more K-31's around than either of those.
1Shirt!:mad:

Ford SD
02-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Last night I was looking at Lyman cast book #4

all of the data for 357mag/ 44 mag rifle/pistol for 100% of the powders used in the data
Lyman used MAGNUM Primers

you have to read the test components used to figure it out -- Normal data(special) has a * to say this load uses magnum primer (for only a few powders)

So read the test components on the first page of your reloading Data

Don't just look for the (*)