PDA

View Full Version : Old Lyman Lubesizer?

eddie56
02-02-2012, 05:11 PM
I have a chanse to get a very old Lyman lubesizer.But i am not sure if the current size dies and punches will work in them.All i am going to use it for is 40 cal.But it does not come with any 40 dies or punches.So i was hopeing one of you gies might be able to tell me.Thanks for any help you may have.

midnight
02-02-2012, 05:47 PM
I believe all Lyman lubesizers use the same dies an top punches. I use an old Lyman #1 from around the turn of the century (1900 that is) and it uses the same dies as my Lyman 450.

Bob

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-02-2012, 05:55 PM
If it's a Lyman/Ideal
the modern Lyman dies should work.
if it's Saeco or Herters or other, probably not.
Jon

eddie56
02-02-2012, 06:50 PM
I think it is the Lyman #1.So i guess i am good then.Thanks for the help.I didn't want to get something I could not use.

scrapcan
02-02-2012, 06:55 PM
The other thing with the No. 1 is to get the bench clamp if hey have it. If they do not then you get to drill holes to mount, make a clamp, or try to use a saeco clamp.

eddie56
02-02-2012, 09:05 PM
It does have a clamp with it.I didnt even think of that befor you said something.Thanks for the info.

Green Frog
02-06-2012, 09:26 AM
The other thing to be aware of about that sizer is the wrench to apply lube. Unlike the newer ones, it has a square opening and is hard to duplicate. It took me a couple of years to finally find one on fleaBay for my sizer... it has a round head with a square hole and a wooden handle that is a miniature copy of the one on the lever. They are nice on their own and of course are not attached, so many got separated from their sizers over the years. Also be aware that this press is nowhere near as strong as its later descendants, so don't try to use it for extreme sizing.

Regards,
Froggie

Bradley
02-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Except for the armory models, all Lyman Lubricators used the same top punches and sizing dies. Well almost. All 45, 450 and 4500's will take new sizing dies. About half of thde 450's and all of the 4500's have problems with older sizing dies. The spec's were tightened up about half way through the 450 series and that caused the problem. All RCBS units will take any Lyman or RCBS sizing die.

Armory models are all but unknown and, if you should happen to find one, they have collector value.