PDA

View Full Version : Blind faith

Harter66
02-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Recently a fellow on another forum sent me not 1 but 2 iron Lyman single moulds absolutely gratis,no frieght,no ya owe me 1, nothing . A lil'while later a fellow here says "there's this new guy needs some boolits to get started a mould if you can spare 1" .

I sent him a new cowboy mould when I ordered a new 45SWC I added the 44 then sent it on.

I also sent a 40 tc to boolit factory the same week .

Both no strings ,ok I told BF $10 to cover most of the frieght on both but had a change of heart , I told him to donate it to the board here instead.

It feels pretty good.

There used to be a lot of folks like that here. I don't see that so much these days,at least not openly.

By the way that Lee 452-252 SWC just like all but that 40 above drops big and heavy. Its more like 454-260 which works out perfectly in the .4537-.4542 throats. And on the 3rd heat cool pour cycle I had a 90%+ keeper rate the 1st 2 gave me a 60% reject 1 hole just would not fill out the middle band . 3 soap and water baths now we're golden. Onward to the maxed out hog
whacker load! H110 isn't agreeing w/this Ruger , so back to Unique, maybe I'll try some seating depth adjustment 1st w/the H110.

beagle
02-02-2012, 02:53 PM
The good folks are still here but over the past several years, we have experienced a influx of newer and younger casters that may or may not have the same philosophy that we do.

I agree, if I have something that somebody needs or is lusting for, I'll either give it to him if I'm not using it or let him have it at a reasonable price.

I've done this on several of the rarer bullet moulds that I wasn't using and people were hunting for. Of course, I expected a normal and not gouged price for my mould.

No telling how many packages of extra brass and cast bullets I've sent around the world...some to Namibia....for free and I paid the postage. Many times I have received payment in excess of what I thought was fair and in some cases, excess goods in return that I could use.

I like to think of us as a happy family helping out when we can to another member in need.

The good people are still here and have the same spirit but the newer ones still have to come into the fold./beagle

fishhawk
02-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Well that may well be the case of it not being in the "open". I have sent out stuff and to be be frank i didn't want it posted for all to see I need no "praise" or "that a boy" to feel good about myself all the praise is a embarrassment to me and probably others also. There are still many many good folks here and am honored to know them. steve k

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-02-2012, 04:26 PM
I would like to add a thank you

I got started loading certain cal. because of someones generosity in sending me some brass for one and some boolits to try for another before i bought the mold.

i neither case was i asking for what i was offered , the first i had tried to trade some of one kind of brass for another , and was offered some brass as he had far more of what i was offering to trade than i did.
the other i was just asking questions and was offered some test boolits
some day i hope to be able to do the same.

Harter66
02-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Water under the bridge I guess.

So this 452-252 , anybody shoot it w/H110 ? In a 45 Colts platform?

Lizard333
02-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Good to hear about the generosity of others. I have had some good things come my way and I have returned the favors to others. Good to know good things are still happening. I like to keep the things I've done anonymous. Better that way.

1Shirt
02-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Beagle hit it on the head! I also have sent STUFF to various folks without asking for anything, and quite often received payment for postage, etc in return. It is however a different time and there are many of new and younger generations than John or me. Times change. I am just reluctant to adapt and change with them I guess most of the time.
1Shirt!:coffee:

x101airborne
02-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Ya know, I am of the newer generation casters and feel the same about passing it along. I sent a box out some time ago with several general items that were spares to me and I did not ask anything in return. I got a nice letter thanking me for the items I sent. That was enough. When I do something out of generosity, I dont expect anything in return. A simple note saying thanks is enough. I dont think that it matters about what generation you are of or how new you are, it matters how you were brought up.

Lizard333
02-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Ya know, I am of the newer generation casters and feel the same about passing it along. I sent a box out some time ago with several general items that were spares to me and I did not ask anything in return. I got a nice letter thanking me for the items I sent. That was enough. When I do something out of generosity, I dont expect anything in return. A simple note saying thanks is enough. I dont think that it matters about what generation you are of or how new you are, it matters how you were brought up.

I agree. It's how you were raised. I'm only 31.

x101airborne
02-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Im 34 young in the body of a 70 year old.

MBTcustom
02-03-2012, 12:54 AM
All this swapping, sharing and giving is the best part of castboolits to me. I have been helped by quite a few good folks. Folks who post things that they have said over and over and over but still take the time to explain to a feller like myself, things that have been known to the more experienced for decades. Subjects like: barrel leading and what causes it, casting with a glove instead of whacking the mold with a piece of timber, soft nose boolits, sawdust as a flux, greenbar paper for patching, FWFL and how to make it, how to rebarrel a rifle, how to do a trigger job, how to anneal gas checks, etc etc etc. I have also been the recipient of many forms of tangeble help, like: lead in trade for solder, aluminum gas checks to try, at least half a dozen boolit designs that I have not tried yet, shotgun reloading presses, molds to try for free, and many other things that are too varied to mention. For every one of these kindnesses I have tried my level best to return the favor to folks who I can help as I can find them. I disagree with the OP that these things have lost there potency or there regular occurrence. One thing I know about cast boolits now, is that there are lots of good people out there who are willing to bend over backwards to help someone who is less fortunate; and it's contagious! I feel so honored to be a part of this great community. I never knew that so much good could come from punching holes in a piece of paper with homemade boolits. Perhaps the generosity that you miss is like a duck in the pond, it's all calm on the surface, but under the water those legs are paddling like crazy.
In my mind, the most amazing gift of all is that the source of all this wonderful fellowship is a free membership to a site where good people from around the world struggle for a common goal.

x101airborne
02-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Amen.

Reload3006
02-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Doing the right thing is being raised right and having morals its not an age. Trust me there are plenty of selfish A#$holes my age and older.

Char-Gar
02-03-2012, 12:22 PM
That was the "ethos" of the members "back in the day". There was been a vast influx of new people in the past couple of years. It remains to be see what their "ethos" will be.

waksupi
02-03-2012, 04:43 PM
I agree. It's how you were raised. I'm only 31.

You look much younger in your photo! :)

TinCan Assassin
02-03-2012, 05:00 PM
I do what I can, when I can. I take folks shooting, mostly, to introduce them or reintroduce them to the sport. Maybe one day when I'm mold and lead rich I'll do that too. Maybe I won't wait that long and do it anyway... ;) Ya'll have certainly provided a good example. I remember this kid having trouble getting range lead, someone sent him 20 lbs of pure lead ingots. No strings. One day, I hope to follow that example. May generosity go forth and multiply.

I want to thank everyone here for the wealth of knowlege and experience you have shared. It has given a newbie caster like me out in the sticks a starting education. You have all been my casting and reloading mentors.

TCA

Lizard333
02-04-2012, 09:59 PM
You look much younger in your photo! :)

That is my oldest holding one of favorite Ruers, a 44 Redhawk.

MikeS
02-05-2012, 03:23 AM
You know, you need to be careful! That picture of your child holding a BIG BAD WEAPON is proof that you're abusing your child! :) In many of the more liberal parts of our great country just having such a picture could get you arrested! (and notice, there's no smily after that) It sounds out there, but there have been some recent cases that really make you wonder what were they thinking about!

There was recently a case, where a 10 yr old kid wanted to get a tattoo of his older brother, who had been killed the year before, and his mother allowed him to get it. Kid goes to school, teacher sees tattoo, reports it to the police, and mother gets arrested for child abuse, endangering a minor, etc. and now kid with tattoo is in the care of the State, with mother in jail, brother dead, now tell me how this kid is going to grow up with anything but fear & hatred of 'the system'? So now he's likely to become an outlaw because of his feelings towards the state, and everyone will sit back and say "See, tattoo'ed people become criminals!"

But back on topic, even tho I've joined this forum fairly recently, I've already had the opportunity to assist a fellow member by giving them a mould, and have offered to help several others too. And I've also been given stuff by some of the members here as well! This forum really has a feel about it like a small town that's the same now as it was 50 years ago. I think that here on this forum, it's more the norm for folks to be helpful, even very giving of themselves, rather than for them to only lookout for themselves.

I mean there are exceptions, even here. Recently there was a person that designed something, talked out it for 3 pages with other forum members, then once he perfected it (so he thought, and with the help of forum members here) he went and was selling the plans for his idea as PDF files on a CD for $2.00/ea. rather than just posting it. Some folks thought he was justified in doing so, and perhaps he is/was, but it certainly went against the way the forum works for most people here.

MBTcustom
02-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Recently there was a person that designed something, talked out it for 3 pages with other forum members, then once he perfected it (so he thought, and with the help of forum members here) he went and was selling the plans for his idea as PDF files on a CD for $2.00/ea. rather than just posting it.
I saw that too, definitely not the spirit of the forum. In fact, I have been reluctant to sell anything on the swappin and sellin section. I have traded quite a bit and I always tried to make sure that folks were getting a good value.