PDA

View Full Version : Help with a 1895 Winchester Magazine

NickSS
02-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Yesterday I was shooting my 95 Winchester (Japanese version) and some of my ammo was too long for the mag but I did not know it until I had loaded 4 rounds in the magazine. The first one fed normally but the rest would not feed at all. The nose of the bullet was caught under the end of the barrel. I disassembled the mag and removed the cartridges but when I tried to reinstall the magazine the carrier lift spring did not work. Upon looking at it the two hooks on the end of the spring need to grab something but I am not sure what. I have looked on line to no avail then I thought someone here might have taken one apart and could give me some help. I would appreciate any help to resolve this issue.

Boerrancher
02-02-2012, 09:49 PM
I don't know how to tell you how to put it back together, but I can tell you how to solve that problem the next time it happens. Take them back out the loading gate, by pushing the loading gate in with the non writing end of a Bic ball point pen, and lift the cartridge up over the gate edge, and it will fly out. Many times by simply pushing the loading gate in all the way with your finger you can get it to spit out the shells. Trust me it works, when you own a 66 or 73 winnie, you learn to do that trick early on.

Best wishes,

Joe

LIMPINGJ
02-02-2012, 11:17 PM
No loading gate on the 1895.

Don McDowell
02-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Looking at the drawings and disassembly instructions in the 1916 catalog and comparing that to my rifle as best I can, it looks as tho the hooks on that carrier spring are supposed to go over the screw that holds the carrier in place.

NickSS
02-03-2012, 06:33 AM
Thanks guys for the input but I figured it out today and it turns out that the spring which fits around the truncheons of the cartridge lifter are tensioned by pressing the two hooks on the front ledge of the lifter and the squared off end pushes against the front of the magazine box. To keep it in place you need to make a slave pin (I used a piece of 18 penny nail) to keep everything lined up when installing the box in the rifle. Once in place the slave pin is pushed out by the lifter screw as it is pushed in. So if anyone has this problem this is the way to fix it.

Boerrancher
02-03-2012, 02:22 PM
No loading gate on the 1895.

Well I just learned something new. I have never messed with the 1895 and not sure if I have ever seen one. Thanks for the info.

Best wishes,

Joe

scrapcan
02-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Joe here is a link to some images

http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/1895/model_95.shtml

here is a link to a video of an 1895 in the 7.62 russian chambering and in full stock military config with stripper clip guides and has the mid point sling attachment at the front of the magazine box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCL8b7U-14k

JayinAZ
02-03-2012, 04:48 PM
I'd like to have in in .405. Lots of wants, not enough dinero :)