PDA

View Full Version : thoughts?

jthomastreadwell
03-12-2007, 10:19 PM
has anyone thought about hollow pointing abig meplate like the lee 430/310rf ?has anyone tried it ?whats your thoughts.is it worth the time? how would it performe?

3sixbits
03-12-2007, 11:04 PM
They use to sell a hollow pointing tool, does anyone remember? I would think that bullet casters that haven't tried hp's would look for a tool like that, to try it out without buying a new mold. Just my two cents!

shooting on a shoestring
03-12-2007, 11:45 PM
I have the Forester case trimmer, they sold me a drill bit with the shank just the right size to fit into the pilot hole. I just put a bullet base into the collet, holding the bullet by the base, and crank a nice little 0.125" hole in the middle of said bullet. I've also hollow pointed loaded ammo, that works well also. Only trouble is there is just the one size, 0.125". To get WW to expand at revolver velocities, bigger would be better. I mainly use mine for HPing 358091's in real soft lead for my J-frame .38. I'm toying with the idea of drilling the 0.125" as a lead hole in some 454424s and then put a lathe center drill in a drill press and make a nice big funnel shaped HP. When I'm at Dad's machine shop, I can HP anything in a lathe.

versifier
03-13-2007, 12:29 AM
It's easy to make a centering bushing out of aluminum to slip over the drillbit that fits the pilot hole on your case trimmer. I turned an old RCBS trimmer into a HP'er and am happy with it for experimental purposes. If you really wanted to have a bigger bit, you could either make a new holder to replace the cutter, or anneal the drill shank and then turn it down so it will fit. HP'ing makes for better expansion and, if it is properly centered, will help out in the accuracy department, too. The best (most consistant) HP boolits still come from HP moulds, though.