PDA

View Full Version : You'll have fun picking this one apart...

GRid.1569
02-01-2012, 07:36 AM
From the BBC's technology web page....

Self steering bullets....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16810107

I laughed at the thought that they might be bought by civilians.... :veryconfu

Wonder when Bass Pro will have them :lol:

archmaker
02-01-2012, 07:58 AM
When will I be able to attach it to my boolits!!!!!
(j/k)

You know the cost per round has to be high, so let me see if this makes sense . . . (sometime in the future at an ammunition counter . . )

Salesman - Look with this self-guided ammunition you are guaranteed a hit as long as you can hold the laser still, so how much are you spending on your guided hunt?

NintendoMan (I JUST can't make myself call him a "hunter" or a "shooter") - Well I was looking to plunk down $6,000 on the hunt.

Salesman - Well look for double that amount this ammunition guarantees that if you can lug the batteries and the gun (think how LONG and Heavy that action will need to be) and take a shot you will not come home empty handed (I am HOPING the guide can track down a wounded animal, not sure if NintendoHunter can accurately shoot the animal where he needs to be shot).

Bullets or Boolits are very cost effective if you think about it.

Now if they were to take this technology and put it on a 2-10# projectile and launch them into orbit to descend to the ground at meteoric speed . . . .

Jamesconn
02-01-2012, 09:51 AM
This disgust me the reason we have the second amendment is to put the government back in its place if it tries to take over and how are we supposed to do that when there's so many restrictions on them.

We don't have the second amendment to hunt we have it to protect the rest and keep the government from becoming dictators it seems they have ceased to fear us now I see some event coming in the future I hope we won't need to solve it with guns.

Bent Ramrod
02-01-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm glad to see that my own ability to hit within 6.2 ft. of anything I aim at is pretty much the NATO standard for small arms fire. I'd hate to think I'm behind the curve there.:mrgreen:

44fanatic
02-01-2012, 04:13 PM
This disgust me the reason we have the second amendment is to put the government back in its place if it tries to take over and how are we supposed to do that when there's so many restrictions on them.

We don't have the second amendment to hunt we have it to protect the rest and keep the government from becoming dictators it seems they have ceased to fear us now I see some event coming in the future I hope we won't need to solve it with guns.

James,
I would not see this as being a constitutional issue, more of a threat and security issue. There is a reason why the normal person does not own hellfire missles or can purchase a military fit aircraft. Trust that the US military member has a consience, is capable of thinking for themselves, supports the US Constitution and that they do not want to shoot or harm US civilians. This particular projectiles soul purpose is to kill (there will be no sport in shooting a paper target or game animal) and if the technology falls in the wrong hands can have dire consequences against the governments and militaries that it will be used against...start thinking political and military leadership assinations. Something like this should be strictly controlled and does not belong in the hands of those that do not need it.

JeffinNZ
02-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Why not just spend the money on training soldiers how to shoot!?

44fanatic
02-01-2012, 05:18 PM

Then the snipers would no longer be elite...LOL (nothing against snipers).

Think this entire part of the article has been missreprented:

Accuracy
"One of the big successes in Libya was that the accuracy of the munitions used was much higher than in previous campaigns," Elizabeth Quintana, senior research fellow at the Royal United Services Institute think tank told the BBC.

"97% of Nato's weapons hit their target to within about 2m (6.5ft). But that was achieved through air munitions.

"This would be a revolution for ground forces, and may help further cut down on civilian casualties in future conflicts."

thx997303
02-01-2012, 05:22 PM
James,
I would not see this as being a constitutional issue, more of a threat and security issue. There is a reason why the normal person does not own hellfire missles or can purchase a military fit aircraft. Trust that the US military member has a consience, is capable of thinking for themselves, supports the US Constitution and that they do not want to shoot or harm US civilians. This particular projectiles soul purpose is to kill (there will be no sport in shooting a paper target or game animal) and if the technology falls in the wrong hands can have dire consequences against the governments and militaries that it will be used against...start thinking political and military leadership assinations. Something like this should be strictly controlled and does not belong in the hands of those that do not need it.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the purpose of the second amendment.

The second amendment was put in place to guarantee that the "civilians" of this country have the ability to resist rule by a tyrannical government.

Also, I can go buy a tank right now if I had the money.

Longwood
02-01-2012, 05:25 PM

Haven't been in a fire fight have you?
I read somewhere.
In Vietnam, the statistics were that approximately 24,000 pieces of ordenance were deployed for every casualty.

thx997303
02-01-2012, 05:30 PM
As Longwood alludes to, many rounds are fired as area suppression.

Sometimes you just need to get some heads down.

frkelly74
02-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Old stuff .They had those in the movie " Runaway '' Back when Tom Sellik was a mere kid. That one went around corners and slowed down and then speeded up.

JeffinNZ
02-01-2012, 07:57 PM
As Longwood alludes to, many rounds are fired as area suppression.

Sometimes you just need to get some heads down.

This projectile will not be used for suprression however. Hope the tax payers have deep pockets.

canyon-ghost
02-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Can you imagine shooting that at a rabbit? With the l.e.d. attached? As much as a rabbit changes direction, that would be one wild looking trail!

44fanatic
02-01-2012, 08:31 PM
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the purpose of the second amendment.

The second amendment was put in place to guarantee that the "civilians" of this country have the ability to resist rule by a tyrannical government.

Also, I can go buy a tank right now if I had the money.

This "round" gives the people the ability resist but is not required to resist a tyrannical government, it is not the means that will accomplish it...that will be done with the common 30-30 or what ever folks have sitting in the back of their closet. Not every piece of weaponary needs to be in citizens hands

Yes you can buy a tank, might even be an M1, but you will not get the tank that the military is currently using. Military technology is just that, military technology and should not be allowed into the wrong hands.

nicholst55
02-01-2012, 08:32 PM

And where's the potential for BILLIONS of tax dollars in R&D for new simulators in that concept?

All it takes to train soldiers how to shoot is very low-tech equipment and a few old sergeants. How are you going to make money doing that? :kidding:

starmac
02-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Why would you want to just train someone to shoot, when then enemy is staying two or three miles over there shooting these at you.

We are not the only ones working on technology.

thx997303
02-01-2012, 11:28 PM
This "round" gives the people the ability resist but is not required to resist a tyrannical government, it is not the means that will accomplish it...that will be done with the common 30-30 or what ever folks have sitting in the back of their closet. Not every piece of weaponary needs to be in citizens hands

Yes you can buy a tank, might even be an M1, but you will not get the tank that the military is currently using. Military technology is just that, military technology and should not be allowed into the wrong hands.

I'm sure that you would love to go into combat with a Winchester 94. But you will be powerfully outgunned.

The second amendment is there to assure we can not only resist, but actually win in a fight against a tyrannical government. That means if the government can have it, so too should every citizen of this country.

Again, i believe you have this fundamental misunderstanding of the second amendment.

But, as this is the ourtown forum and not the political forum, I will leave this lie and bid you a good day.

stubshaft
02-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Why would you want to just train someone to shoot, when then enemy is staying two or three miles over there shooting these at you.

We are not the only ones working on technology.

Why should the enemy do the R&D? Just wait and some slug will sell it to them. Look at the cruise missiles headed for China.

Someone in gooberment want to perpetuate the conflict. How else will the contractors make money and be able to kick it back.[smilie=1:

edsmith
02-02-2012, 01:19 AM
when they get the cost down because of mass production, put me down for 2 cases of 1000 rounds. the cost should get down to about $300 a round.:bigsmyl2:

missionary5155
02-02-2012, 05:45 AM
Good morning
You do not need a tank.. a 2 quart glass bottle full of 87 octane lead free plus a handfull of soapsuds mixed in from a second story window landing on an open hatch or air intakes tends to be much more practicle to carry about. Better is the planting of numerous 4" steel pipes standing straight up set to launch a hard nose penetrator... tank bellies are notoriously soft.
But I sure would ot mind having an M60A1 in the back yard to play with. Oh the smell of "cherry juice" in the morning !
Mike in Peru