PDA

View Full Version : Finally cast first Boolits

Arceagle
01-31-2012, 09:04 PM
Well after reading tons posts on this forum, Lymans 4th edition Cast Bullet Handbook and several chapters of "From Ingot to Target" I cast my first Boolits today. The first 3 batches of about 100 boolits all went back into the furnace. I was using my NOE 314316 115 Gr. FN mould. I was having problems getting my mould up to the right temperature. I left in on top of the lead furnace but it just didn't want to stay hot enough. I was just about to give up until I remembered something I read from Mike Venturino about developing a cadence. I had been going very slow and carefully. On the 4th batch I tried to keep up a quicker pace and after about the first ten casts I saw what actually looked like a boolit. I cast about 2 hundred boolits in the 4th batch (its a 4 cavity mould) and when I was done and the bullets cooled enough to sort I had about 60 boolits that looked great! I know I still have a long way to go before I can call myself a Boolit caster, but I was very happy with the results of my first attempt. Thanks to everyone on this forum my first experience casting was not a major disaster, and I am really looking forward to my next casting session.

mktacop
01-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Congratulations on a successful first cast. As a relatively new caster myself, I can say that it WILL get easier. Before long, you'll sit down as cast several hundred in an hour.

LatheRunner
01-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Arceagle, Get yourself a hot plate to preheat the mould. This works way better then heating it up on top of the furnace. You are correct you have to cast fast enough to keep the mould hot. You can expect the first couple of casts to be wrinkled. If you have a thermometer run your pot at 700 degrees. This works really good for me. You did pretty good on your first try. Cast, cast, and cast some more. You get better each time.

LatheRunner

01-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Starting with a mould that's up to its optimum operating temperature makes it much easier to find the cadence that it likes. I never found that setting the mould on top of the pot got it hot enough. Instead I went this route: 5" electrical box and cover, as shown with a Lee six-cavity mould.

Arceagle
02-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the advice. Are you placing the molds directly on the hot plate? Can this be done with aluminum molds? I think the little .314 115gr bullets in the large mould made it even harder to get it up to the right temp, and another source to heat the mould is going to be necessary.

02-01-2012, 12:58 AM
The "oven" sits on the hotplate. The pictured mould is aluminum.

Arceagle
02-01-2012, 01:54 AM
I just found the thread where don45 made a mould oven like the one in your post, looks like another project for the casting bench. Also found several threads on temperature control and casting cadence. These casting thermometers are expensive, I bought one for my casting furnace may have to pick up another. Thanks again.