PDA

View Full Version : Finally!A use for the GB .32 mould

madcaster
03-12-2007, 05:11 PM
One I had bought off Willbird,of the surplus ones he had.I knew I needed it!
Today I put a S&W .32WCF double action revolver on layaway,something I have "needed" for some time.
Low serial number #45XX something like that,nice ole diamond Magna grips and all.Not much of a finish left,but the bore is good.
Won't be long now,should make a fine woodsloafing gun.:Fire:

Buckshot
03-12-2007, 07:35 PM
...................They were talking about K32 kit guns on the peestol forum a couple months ago. Or maybe it was here. Anyway they were all excited about'em and how you can't find them. So lucky you! :-)

And so you see how it works. Find 3 empty 30-30 shells rolling around on the floor in the backseat where your hunting buddy sat last fall, and the next thing ya know you fall into a 30-30 rifle deal :-)

.................Buckshot

Ricochet
03-12-2007, 08:19 PM
I was thinking a nice .32 gas check boolit might be just the ticket for a Baby Dragoon replica. I'm not suggesting gas checking boolits for cap & ball revolvers; a heel on the bottom of the boolit is very convenient for starting it into the chamber prior to turning it in line under the rammer to seat it.

Alas, I don't have a Baby Dragoon, or such a mould.

(If it'd fit lengthwise, though, I do have a 6-hole Lee Soup Can mould. I plan to load those unchecked over Pyrodex in the 7.62mm Nagant revolver and give 'em a try.)

Might be a reason to get in on that C-434-210-RF group buy that I've been avoiding. My Italian Walker has .433" chambers and groove diameter. My current .44 moulds don't throw boolits fat enough to seat tightly in the Walker's chambers without beagling, accidentally or on purpose.

madcaster
03-13-2007, 12:46 AM
Richochet,
I have shot a few LBT WFN's from a Ruger Old Army in the past,cast of soft lead,seem to do okay.
Fellas,this is NOT a Model 16 I do not think,as a matter of fact it does not have any model on it,so I'm just a confused bald headed guy on the thing.It has a 4" barrel,the rear sight is kinda a groove in the frame,ala Colt style,and the thing looks almost chrome from either the factory or use,which one I do not know....
Bristol Buddy,you should have went to the meadowview show,a fella had a 1848 Baby Dragoon by Colt-2nd generation in the box!
Some nice guns were in attendance!

Lloyd Smale
03-13-2007, 04:54 AM
Jeff Terry Merback plays with those old smith 32s alot and has told me more then once that they are one of the most accurate out of the box handguns hes ever seen. I sent him a box of the rcbs bullet that that one was based on and he said it was the most accurate bullet hes found in them so i think you may be pleased with your results.

26Charlie
03-13-2007, 10:07 AM
I think they are called Hand Ejector models, they are pre-M&P on the medium frame which is also the K-frame size. There is a smaller hand-ejector on the J-frame size, but in .32 S&W Long.
I looked for a number of years at gun shows for a .32-20 revolver. Either there weren't any or they were beyond my means, except Spanish copies, which I didn't want. Colt made the .32-20 in their Colt Army Special model also.
I finally found a S&W .32-20 Hand Ejector at a reasonable price with a 6" barrel. It was a reasonable price because it was refinished, and then put into a bureau drawer long enough to rust all over one side, so it was all mottled on one side.
However - looking into it, I found that the serial # followed by a star meant that it had been sent back to S&W for refinishing, so it is a factory refinish. Also, it is a round-butt model, with original S&W mother-of-pearl grips. So there is a certain rarity to it. I have been told that the grips are probably worth what I paid for the gun.
Now the important part - how does it shoot? The answer is - quite well for a fixed sight revolver with the tiny U-notch in the frame and slim blade front sight. I have settled on the Lyman 3118 115 gr. with 5 gr. of Unique as a load, small pistol primers. I shoot left handed, so it shoots a little right of the sights (revolvers tend to shoot away from the hand you hold it with - if it shoots center with a right-hand hold, it will shoot right with a left-hand hold) but that is not a problem once you know where to aim.
You are going to enjoy yours without doubt.

Ricochet
03-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Oh, man!

Well, at least I saved some $$$.

madcaster
03-13-2007, 12:02 PM
26Charlie,thank you Sir for that model nomenclature.It helps.
What'cha mean Richochet?
Jeff,Richochet's hillbilly neighbor(he been schooled more'n me!).

Ricochet
03-13-2007, 12:56 PM
I was replying to the above post about missing a NIB Colt Baby Dragoon at the gun show at the Meadowview Convention Center in Kingsport a while back.

I needed to avoid temptation, actually.

kywoodwrkr
03-13-2007, 01:43 PM
madcaster,
That is probably a model 1905 -4.
They didn't have dash versions then so fourth version or late 3rd
I can give you serial number ranges tonight.
I recently bought one at a local shop as well. 70000 range.
Your grips are indeed a worthy item.
Mine had wood with large diamond.
Bore just so so.
Found a model 1903 in 32 S&W long Saturday and a Colt model ?? in 32-20 at same shop.
They were high, $300+, on the S&W and the Colt could be bought for $250.
I may return and see if they will deal on the pair.
S&W website for information
http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve
DaveP kywoodwrkr

Dale53
03-14-2007, 01:34 AM
I have a S&W "J" frame "snubby" in .32 S&W Long. It is from my teen age days (yeah, even I was a teen ager, once).

I am not overly fond of a 2" barreled revolver in .32 S&W L. However, it is now a part of my "heritage" and I won't be getting rid of it. It IS fun to shoot. It is still like new.

I also have a little 631 in .32 H&R that is fun to shoot and more fun to carry. You hardly know that it is there. I use it mostly when grouse hunting. Occasionally, I have marginally hit a grouse, breaking a wing and knocking it down. If they just have a broken wing, they will not let you close enough to grab them. I HATE shooting a bird a second time, particularly at close range, with a shotgun. If you chase them, often they will get into a thicket where it will take a bull dozer to get them out. However, they will almost always let you get close enough to clip their heads off with the .32 "Kit" gun. Now, you have a great bit of chow with no shot in the meat!!

That is why I am supporting the drive to allow Ohio hunters to carry a second gun when hunting. It is a real, practical, situation. I have also shot a number of sitting rabbits with a handgun. You should see how much the women like a pistol shot rabbit for the table as compared to a shotgun shot rabbit. Un-HUH!!:mrgreen: You can also "admire your nails" when they compliment you on your marksmanship (Un-HUH!!, again[smilie=1:)

When I was, but a lad, I was squirrel hunting in an area that didn't allow rifle hunting. We had gotten in the woods before daylight. Sometime around 8:30 in the A.M. I got a bit drowsy. I sat down next to a tree and leaned my shotgun against the tree. I fell asleep. A dead tree was on the ground in front of me. Something woke me up. I opened my eyes and a squirrel was climbing out on the tree right in front of me (maybe fifteen yards away). The squirrel was "backed up" with a large dead tree. Any miss would hit the tree safely. I knew if I went for the shotgun, the squirrel would see me. I carefully slid the little .32 snubgun out of my pocket and carefully squeezed off a shot through the "slats", right through the heart and lungs. Instant dead squirrel. Later the fellows that I was hunting with, were properly awed by my prowess as a shooter/hunter (I didn't see any need to point out that I was in a firm sitting position when the shot was made[smilie=1:). Later on that same day, the squirrels had their revenge. A squirrel I shot was "not quite" dead when I went to pick him up. He bit me through the web of the "thumb/forefinger" and not once, but frequently. In fact, I had to beat him against a tree to "civilize" him and get him to let me loose:confused: :confused:. For some time after that, I would put a shot through any squirrel's head that did not exhibit the "proper amount of deadness" before I picked him up.

Dale53

kywoodwrkr
03-14-2007, 10:40 AM
madcaster,
Just reread your first post.
Maybe I should say I just read it! :-|
I misread the serial number first time around.
The 1905 serial numbers started at 18126.
Yours is before the 1905.
Actually the Standard Catalog of S&W(book) denotes the .32-20 Hand Ejector -1st model as being made between 1899 and 1902.
Serial numbers ran from 1 to 5311 on first model. Prices are $125 Poor, $250 Fair, $350 Good, $450 V Good, $1000 Excellent and $3500 ANIB.
Target models garner another 50-100%.
Please be warned that the cylinders were not heat treated until much later in production, ie at about serial number 81287 or there abouts.
Model 1905 continued on with the serial number set by the 1902s.
My 1905 is a fourth model but before the heat treated cylinders as well.
Therefore mild pistol reloads are suggested.
FWIW
DaveP kywoodwrkr

madcaster
04-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Anyone know if current factory loads are okay for this one?
Thanks,
Jeff.

cuzinbruce
04-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Hi Madcaster,
Current factory loads should be fine in your SW 32/20. I have a couple of the 1905 Hand Ejector's and they are quite mild loads. Used Winchesters. Expensive though, $20-25/box at the gun show, more in stores. I load for mine using the RCBS 98gr SWC or the Lyman 3118, among others. Handloader magazine had a very good article a couple years ago with great info. Article was by Gil Sengel. SW bores run large for the caliber, mine slugged about .314, like the article said. A Colt Police Positive Special I slugged was .312 while a Win '92 was .311. Also brass tends to run shorter than specs, even NEW brass is less than the specified minimum length. That on Winchesters, new from the poly bag. And Winchester invented the cartridge so you would think they should know. Separate by manufacturer and trim to length for good crimps. I get a beautiful crimp with the Redding Profile Crimp Die. Use a touch of case lube every few shells you crimp. If your lengths aren't as even, use the Lee factory Crimp die, not as critical for case length. The load data in Sengel's article is where I started. Using the lower pressure loads. I am mostly putting holes in paper targets so it doesn't matter that much.
Accuracy can be quite good when you have it all figured out. If you shoot double action, these guns are the long action Smith & Wessons gun writers used to gush about. Most have really outstanding DA trigger pulls. Single action, they are also excellent, but I figured they were designed to be fired doouble action. Same model gun that Ed McGivern used (in 38 Spl) for his feats. You should have a lot of fun with it.
Bruce
Cuzinbruce

9.3X62AL
04-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Cuzin Bruce--

Welcome aboard, sir.

A lotta good info about the S&W K-frame historical notes and loading data for the older examples in 32-20 WCF.

Colt had at least two "sizes" of revolver for the 32-20........the Army Special as mentioned above, and the Police Positive Special. I have seen a LOT more PPS than AS examples over the years. Of course, the Single Action Army was chambed in 32-20 WCF in fair numbers.

The early-series S&W and the Colt PPS are not ultra-strong revolvers. Velocities with the 115-120 grain boolits should be kept under 900 FPS. Most factory loads in 4"-5" barrels run between 800-875 FPS, and have a pretty wide variance. Even, consistent crimping AND a powder that burns correctly for this application are BIG helps down the road in accuracy and ballistic consistency. That powder is SR-4756.......the RCBS 98 SWC with from 5.0 to 5.5 grains of this fuel is a mild and accurate load in my rollers. Moving up to the 115-120 grainers, 4.5 to 5.0 grains of SR-4756 will do well in the lighter guns.

Newer series K-frames, Colt SAA, and Colt Army Specials can absorb stiffer loadings, and the few Ruger Blackhawks chambered in this caliber can go nuclear if you choose. I use the loads above in all my 32-20 revolvers, they are accurate and pleasant to shoot. The 32-20 revolver and rifle usually need very different loads to shoot well, and while the ideal would be to find one load that could alternate between the two platform types.......that might be a tough project. It has been for me, at least.

cuzinbruce
04-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi Deputy Al,
I would second your comment about different loads being needed for revolver and rifle. I haven't found one yet that is really optimum in both.
One thing I noted was the difference in bore diameters. I suspect S&W may just have used the same tooling as for the .32 Long, etc. Thus the .314 in an S&W revolver vs .311 in a Winchester. I size them different for the S&W's or the rifles. As for powder, I haven't tried your suggested SR-4756 yet. (Sengel in the Handloader article did recommend it) I have used Blue Dot, Unique and Herco. Also SR-4759 in RIFLES not handguns. Mostly using the Herco lately. Accurate. Only drawback is it doesn't meter real well. You can get light charges from the powder "bridging" in the measure if you aren't careful. And I have tried several measures.
As for guns, I believe Colt also made the Official Police in 32/20, also Bisley's and the DA 1878 (black powder only). S&W only the K-frame. For long arms, I use a Win '92 and a Rem M25.
They are all fun guns to shoot. If I need more power, I'll just use a different caliber rather than try to hot-rod the 32/20.
Bruce

onceabull
04-01-2007, 01:40 PM
cuzinbruce: You are spot on on the Colt Official Police having been made in 32/20.. Rarely seen,at least by me!! I bought the only one I've seen or heard about.. Maybe as rare as Dan Wesson 32/20 ?? :roll: Onceabull

Nueces
04-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Hey, onceabull, it's good to hear someone actually has an OP 32-20. I have evidence of their one-time existence, a new 5" barrel, but have never seen a complete revolver. I do have a nice old Army Special 32-20. My plan has been to use this barrel and an old 357 Trooper to make an 'Officers Model' 32-20, but I've had no luck finding a factory OP cylinder, which I want for the late-model metallurgy. Unlike Smith K-frames (except the 22 and 357 Magnums), which all had the same cylinder lengths, Colts of this frame size have different lengths for each caliber, the 32-20 being the longest. The 22 cylinder is too short. Pooh. :(

What loads do you feed your 32-20?

Mark

ps - You are most welcome, cuzinbruce. There is a thriving 32 clan on this board. It's nice to have a place where we can relax and enjoy the little buggers. Not long ago, saying you liked the 32 was a little like saying out loud that yer sister was 'pretty.' :mrgreen:

9.3X62AL
04-01-2007, 02:22 PM
ps - You are most welcome, cuzinbruce. There is a thriving 32 clan on this board. It's nice to have a place where we can relax and enjoy the little buggers. Not long ago, saying you liked the 32 was a little like saying out loud that yer sister was 'pretty.' :mrgreen:

Now, THAT is a succinct description of the sitch regarding the mid-caliber handgun enthusiasts. Try taking a Broomhandle Mauser x 30 caliber on a varmint hunt with cops and firemen sometime. I was "meat for the grill" until I whacked a few jacks with that cumbersome critter. "Old School With A Vengeance"--"You must be dating the Dragon Lady"--"Didn't Churchill use that in the First War?"

You are in a company of kindred souls here, Cuz.

floodgate
04-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Al:

"Didn't Churchill use that in the First War?"

...to which your answer was - no doubt - "No, it was the Boer War, dumb-dumb."

floodgate

TAWILDCATT
04-01-2007, 04:53 PM
I had one I bought in NH many yrs ago paid $3.00 had blown cylinder.I welded a new top strap and the cylinder and shot it for yrs.be careful you don't use hyspeed loads in it they made them for rifles.star makes 32/20 brass.they are easy to load I loaded with win 73 tool/mold.I had 73 win got in Birmingham AL in 1945 for $5. they do bark:Fire:

onceabull
04-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Well the highrollers have taken this one out of my buy range,but if you hurry,it can still be yours,(or maybe the winner is one of us ??):-D Onceabull

madcaster
04-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Well fellas,
I finally gots me .32WCF in me hots widdle paws and me likes it,but the chrome/mottled finish is a bit diztwactin.
Methinks itz jus good cammyflage!
I'll see if I can get a shooting report typed up sometime.
Jeff.