PDA

View Full Version : Slugging slugs...

mdi
01-31-2012, 04:31 PM
I had read on another forum of using fired cases as molds for making slugs for slugging a barrel. I was skeptical thinking it may be a good idea but not workable. I was wrong. I have been mixing some alloy to get harder bullets and had a potfull of mix and didn't feel like digging out a bullet mold to make a slug to measure and spotted some fired .38 Special cases on my bench. I held a case with pliers, stuck it under the spout, and filled it. "Easy, I'll make some more." I did 4 and when they cooled, I used my kenitic bullett puller, thinking the slug would never come out, wrong again. The first slug took several good whacks to get it out of the case and the next 3 took only two or three whacks. The slugs are the perfect size for testing in my Lee Hardness Tester and worked quite well. The mix/aloy I have is a bit hard for slugging but pure or near pure would work great. The slugs came out .358"-.359" on the large end and .348"-.360" on the small end with my alloy, and with pure lead I think they would be a bit larger and perfect for slugging...

whisler
01-31-2012, 09:10 PM
I believe pure lead will cast smaller not larger.

mdi
01-31-2012, 10:59 PM
OOPS! :groner: Yep, smaller. Well, I'll just have to open the cases a bit, but it's still a good idea

runfiverun
02-01-2012, 12:46 PM
and mark those cases if they get hot enough just once they are junk.

Reload3006
02-01-2012, 12:52 PM
set your slugs on the bench give them a moderate tap with a hammer they now have gotten larger and usable.

PacMan
02-01-2012, 02:38 PM
usae a fired unsized case

troy_mclure
02-01-2012, 09:37 PM
i just drill a hole almost thru a 2"x4"(on the side) of the appropriate dia and pour in the lead. this gives me a nice long slug to get a good read and twist rate.