PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 Questions

KevH
01-31-2012, 03:09 PM
I just bought an old Lyman 45 still full of old lube and in pieces.

Are there any directions or tips online about how to clean and reassemble (and use) this thing?

Anyone have any close up pictures of theirs that they can post for me?

Reload3006
01-31-2012, 03:22 PM
to get the old lube out of it boil it in a big pot of water then after boiling it for around 15 to 20 mins just turn off the burner and let it completely cool the lube will be on top of the water jelled again and can just be lifted off. then dry and oil the press for rust prevention. I dont have any pictures here at work someone else i am sure will post some before I have an opportunity to. Lyman doesn't supply parts for it per se but if the housing is not damaged and you have all the other parts you can use 4500 pressure screw , pressure nut , but you will have to use the 4500 reservoir cap then but it will be completely functional. Good luck I love my little 45, and I have a 4500 too Honestly I much prefer my little 45

Recluse
01-31-2012, 03:35 PM
I've rebuilt and restored two of these Lyman 45s, and they are among my most prized casting/reloading possessions. :)

I'll try and pull up some pictures.

Bottom line, they come apart fairly easy and go back together fairly easy. Check the stickies as we have a PDF on all the parts and operator's manual.

Best advice is also to order from Lyman some replacement/new parts including o-rings, set screws, pressure screw, etc. I replaced all the little moving and expendable parts on the last one I bought (here on this forum) for something like $20 bucks which included shipping. Made it basically a brand new lubesizer.

:coffee:

01-31-2012, 04:29 PM
For an instruction manual, see the seventh sticky from the top, fifth post.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Kev,
there is a few photos in this thread, which I started about making a new handle.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=107488

I use a heat gun to remove old lube.

feel free to post any more specific questions,
or request closeup photos from a specific view.
Jon