PDA

View Full Version : wax bullet clean-up

2 guns
01-31-2012, 10:05 AM
just tried my hand at making and shooting wax bullets in my 45 colt. shot 12 rounds and primers backed out on 9 of them. if i drill flash hole to 1/8 will this stop from backing out?but back to clean-up.barrel is awful dirty after 12 rounds.whats the best method for cleaning it up?

thanks,

2 guns

Wayne Smith
01-31-2012, 01:13 PM
1) drill out the primer holes
2) Ammonia
3) switch to small primer brass and use small pistol primers

Centaur 1
01-31-2012, 02:18 PM
Try making gluelits, instead of lead just cast some boolits/gluelits using a hot glue gun. Do everything like you would when casting with lead, but you just have to wait a little longer for the glue to harden before you cut the sprue and open the mold. I put all my gluelits in a ziplock bag with a couple of drops of oil, then shake the bag to lube them. When you're done shooting run a dry patch through the barrel to remove any excess oil. Also you're right on concerning the flash hole, drill it out to 1/8".

2 guns
02-03-2012, 08:13 AM
just getting back to my post.drilled 1/8" holes and tried 6 rounds worked fine.havent had time to clean bbl. yet.will windex work?

Forrest r
02-03-2012, 08:50 AM
What wax mixture are you using? I was thinking of trying to make some with this:

1/2#paraffin
1/8#bees wax
1oz white lithium grease

Is this mixture even in the ballpark?

stubert
02-03-2012, 10:48 AM
DO NOT mix up those cases and load a round with powder. Mark them

Lizard333
02-03-2012, 11:03 AM
DO NOT mix up those cases and load a round with powder. Mark them

I second this. Mark your brass so you don't reload them with real boolets. Also the gloobets are really nice, and the mess is less. Plus you reuse them over and over.

375RUGER
02-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Why not try a hair dryer and then patch it before the wax cools?
In college I use to make 22 RF wax bullets and shoot the flies in the house. That was a fun way to kill flies.

Texantothecore
02-03-2012, 12:42 PM
I used to wing shoot wasps and red hornets with my trusty Daisy BB gun. Fun stuff, particularly if you had a nice big can of wasp and hornet spray beside you.

dakotashooter2
02-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Another way to make sure the drilled out cases don't make ininto your regular loading proceedure is to trim the down.

Wayne Smith
02-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Windex with ammonia will work. Ammonia is what dissolves wax.

Lizard333
02-03-2012, 02:23 PM
I used to wing shoot wasps and red hornets with my trusty Daisy BB gun. Fun stuff, particularly if you had a nice big can of wasp and hornet spray beside you.

I bet you found out the hard way about the wasp and hornet spray... :)

stubshaft
02-03-2012, 03:04 PM
What wax mixture are you using? I was thinking of trying to make some with this:

1/2#paraffin
1/8#bees wax
1oz white lithium grease

Is this mixture even in the ballpark?

Just use plain parraffin. the softer the wax the messier it is.

2 guns
02-03-2012, 05:01 PM
forrest r;

thats the mix i used except for the grease.mine called for pump grease.shucks, i was plump out of pump grease.so i use what i use for eveything,some kinda red cup grease.wheel bearings,brake pads,door hinges,anything with a grease fitting,spiking my hair,to hold my uppers when the polygrip runs out,hood hinges.you know,kinda like duct tape,itill fix anything.dont know if it was a good or bad substitute but sure made the mix a purtty color.will shoot some more rounds and then try the windex.

2 guns

williamwaco
02-03-2012, 05:53 PM

I used to have one of those, several actually, Red Ryder, pump action, couple of others. I never owned on that would reliably hit a golf ball at ten paces - using a rest. That was ten paces for an 8 year old. I can't convert that to feet.

At that same time, I could shoot scores of 45 to 50 on the NRA 50 foot target with a good .22 rifle.

Forrest r
02-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Nice there 2 gun, I bet you're the bel of the ball at the Blue Oyster with that red hair.:grin:

MikeS
02-05-2012, 04:01 AM
Dakota: Good idea! I have 6 45LC cases that I drilled out to shoot some X-ring bullets, and never thought about cutting them down! I think I'll use my RCBS 45ACP trim die to trim down the 45LC brass.

As I'm typing this, it got me to thinking, if I took some 45LC brass, and filed it down to 45ACP length, then reamed the inside of the case in the new neck area, wouldn't they then be the same as the 45 Cowboy Special brass that's available on the web for CAS? I have a single action pistol that has both a 45LC cylinder, and a 45ACP cylinder, I was originally going to shoot 45 AutoRim in the ACP cylinder, but due to the thick rim they won't fit, but I'm sure if I either cut down some brass to 45ACP length, or bought some of the Cowboy Special brass, they would fit in the SAA with the 45ACP cylinder in place. Sorry for the thread drift.