PDA

View Full Version : Source to check load pressure/safety

bullpen7979
01-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Greetings all,

I am in search of a place where I can specify a boolit, OAL, powder, charge weight, primer, etc, and see if what I have is in spec.

Currently I am loading the Lee 356-120-2R over 3.8 grains of WSF with an OAL of 1.08.

My CZ 9mm won't chamber anything much longer, and I want to make sure I am okay pressure wise. I asked a similar question earlier on in the forums, but I guess the point is I would like to know how the metrics pan out for what I actually have loaded here.

Is quickloads the only answer? I'd love to be able to check this stuff out myself and know the science behind it, especially since I'll be loading for my son as well as for me.

Is there another handloading site that will let me do this? Sorry for the partially overlapping post guys...I really want to get a grasp on the variables and know what I have for the loads I am coming up with.

Nobade
01-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Buy Quickload. You won't regret it.

www.neconos.com

turbo1889
01-31-2012, 10:02 PM
Quickload is only a (very) fancy calculator that is supposed to theoretically predict the resulting pressure of a given load.

That is not the same thing as an actual pressure test or even the cheapo strain gage pressure trace system for hobbyists.

It is a useful tool just be warned that it isn't fool proof and has been proven to be wrong in more then one case by comparing the theoretical results it puts out with actual loads fired in a pressure test gun.

Nobade
01-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Yep, anybody who reads the "read me" files and instructions that come with it knows that.

And I have NEVER seen it to be exactly right with anything. There are just too many variables involved. But by using the chronograph I can train it to give exact results with MY rifles and MY brass and powder and bullets. Once it is trained it is more accurate in making predictions. I still wouldn't ever use it (or any reloading manual) to tell me what the greatest, highest pressure load my rifle can withstand and then go load up a bunch of them and torch them off. That's just being dumb.

But for getting an idea of what a particular combination will do, even not trained, it is extremely valuable. Far better than ANY reloading manual I have ever seen, and I do own most all of them. I just don't use them much anymore.

bullpen7979
02-01-2012, 08:00 PM
But for getting an idea of what a particular combination will do, even not trained, it is extremely valuable. Far better than ANY reloading manual I have ever seen, and I do own most all of them.

Yes, that's what I want to do. I don't want to push the max. That's precisely the purpose of my inquiry. I want to see what's getting too close to the edge of the envelope. In trying various combinations, its often the case that the combo i have that chambers properly in the gun is nowhere to be found in the manual. I have the Lee manual and Lyman's 49th.

I was looking for another source to hash out the question "Is this too close to max pressure?" In my other post, other folks weighed in with " you'll have to reduce your charge accordingly". How does one quantify "accordingly" in a scientific manner?

fredj338
02-01-2012, 08:19 PM
There is really no such thing. Quickloads is a guestimate. The only way to knwo for sure is pressure equip. Stick to book loads or work up your own & watch for pressure signs. A chronograph is useful for going off the books.

MtGun44
02-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Overthinking this. At most, get a chrono and load with the powder and boolit wt (not exact
boolit) showed in a loading manual, until you get the same velocity. Then stop.

Otherwise, get the base of the boolit in the same place as the load shown in the manual
and use the same powder charge and be happy.

Bill