PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: Cabine Tree lead hardness tester - first look

Revolver
01-29-2012, 05:47 PM
My Cabine Tree lead hardness tester just arrived a few days ago. I had a hard time finding much information about it prior to purchase (or even a high resolution photo) but went on the advice of forum members ordered it. I have to say that I am pleased with it so far, as others have said it seem well built.

I have posted a video showing the unit up close and the concept behind its operation. (Information I was seeking prior to purchase but couldn't find). I made a secondary video of testing a variety of alloys but I haven't uploaded it yet. Will do soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJPE1E8LQ6c

SharpsShooter
01-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Well done! Very good post indeed. Might have to buy one. Sure would save on the teeth :wink:

SS

Walter Laich
01-29-2012, 08:56 PM
I really like mine--nice thing is you can take readings from ingots and such cause there is enough clearance on the machine

Bret4207
01-30-2012, 08:17 AM
A good, simple, solid hunka metal that works!

Moonman
01-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Good Job on the Video.

rollmyown
02-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Nice video, well done.

**oneshot**
02-04-2012, 09:24 AM
nice video, good to see one in action.

waksupi
02-04-2012, 01:51 PM
I see Gussy has refined the design since I got mine, good job to both of you.

When I use the pointer indicator, I make a pencil mark at the appropriate point, to make it easier to be sure I have a full turn.

cajun shooter
02-05-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm happy to see that you have purchased the best lead tester made but I have a problem with your OP.
I can't for the life of me understand your posting that you could not receive any information on the cabin tree before making your purchase. Gussy's information is all over the place on this forum as well as several hundred users/members.
I have given out information to many new comers as well as seeing post by others who have done the same.
If in the future you have any similar problems allow me to suggest that you contact one of the older members via a PM or the site owner 45 Nut or Wilgen. Or contact a moderator of that forum to help you out.
The products that are sold by our members is there for you to read and look at but again this site is well known for the fact that every member will stand up and lend a hand. Your buying in the dark was something that you could have avoided if you had taken the proper steps.

Revolver
02-05-2012, 02:04 PM
"...I can't for the life of me understand your posting that you could not receive any information on the cabin tree before making your purchase..."

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I hit google, youtube, this forum, and his website. I didn't consider PM'ing individual members, I'm new to this forum and don't really even know who's who yet although I have found that everyone seems very friendly, which is fantastic.

It's not that I couldn't find any information, it's that what I found was vague, and the pictures weren't detailed enough for me to figure it out. I also found threads with people seeming to ask the same questions that I was wondering about.

Maybe I didn't dig deep enough but finally I just concluded that with all the good comments from owners, it sounded like the product to have. I am very pleased with it.

Charles2506
02-17-2012, 03:57 AM
nice job might have to get one of these. looking for a tester and this one seems to do a good job o have about 80 lbs of lead in 1 pound ingots and have no idea what they are i picked up the lead from a salvage yard and had some lead sheet from an x-ray lab and need to find the hardness.

Max Brand
02-17-2012, 06:04 AM
Nice video. I had wondered about these and now, after watching your demo, I finally understand how they actually work. Thanks for posting.

stubshaft
02-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Nice video. When I got mine I was a testing fool and tested most of the lead and boolits I had around. It is so fast and easy to use that entire operation took me about a day.

It's greatest benefit to me was that I was able to understand how different components reacted to each other and allowed me to tweak my alloys to make boolits that behaved in the manner that I wanted, rather than guessing what would happen if...

.455 Webley
05-07-2017, 03:24 PM
Any word on how well the new ones made by ST Machining are holding up?

1_Ogre
05-08-2017, 07:55 AM
Good job on the video. Seems to be a lot easier than the Lee hardness tester with their little microscope thing, very hard to use.

LenH
05-08-2017, 09:19 AM
Any word on how well the new ones made by ST Machining are holding up?

I bought one from them a couple of years ago and it works like it is supposed to work. I had my doubts about it until I mixed some 92-6-2 and it hit it dead nut.
I also checked some lino and it was right on the money. It had me worried at first then I realized it was the soft alloy I was shooting.