PDA

View Full Version : Bulle Lube From '83 American Rifleman

wcshooter
06-25-2005, 02:10 AM
Did anyone see this and did they try it. Seems easy enough to make, but I beleive RCBS has chanced their case lube make up since then. But here it is. Felix what do you think?
1 Pound paraffin.1pound Vaseline and 2 table spoons of RCBS case lube melted together

bravokilo
06-25-2005, 06:05 AM
Yup!! Used LOTS of it! It's not a real high speed lube, we used it mostly for midrange pistol loads (still do). It's smokey and dirty, but cheap and easy to make. When we made up a batch we would add a couple of sticks of 50/50 alox just to give it a little color and firm it up a bit. Worked good with KT boolits in the 38, 357, 44, 45 and any 9mm and 45 auto. If you aren't looking for top velocity in a mag pistol mix up a batch and give it a try!

BK

joeb33050
06-25-2005, 06:52 AM
This is the recipe for Darr lube, invented? by Barry Darr in the ?70's? sometime. Half vaseline half parrafin lube was used at Walnut Hill in the late 1800's. I've used Darr lube, with or without the case lube, for about 25 years. It works fine for rifle and pistol loads. I shoot only at the low end of the velocity range, maybe 1100 fps pistol(revolver) and 1700fps rifle. I pan lube and dip lube with it. I use a cake pan of lube in a frying pan with about 1" of water-a sort of double boiler arrangement. If it gets too hot it doesn't work right. When it gets too much ?stuff? in the bottom of the lube, I throw it out or use it for fluxing. Gulf canning parrafin comes 4 sticks to the pound in a box. Vaseline comes 12 ounces to the jug. I melt 3 sticks parrafin in the cake pan in the frying pan, then put the plastic vaseline jug in-mouth down-and let the vaseline melt out. Low heat. If I want to make it harder or softer, I add Marvel Mystery Oil (softer) or some of the 4th stick of parrafin (harder). It's almost too easy.
joe b.

felix
06-25-2005, 08:57 AM
I think that would be a good and cheap low velocity lube. Like JoeB says, it is not important about the mix percentages, especially when just two constitutents to the lube. Adding a third in low volume should used in low quantities, unless tried and trued otherwise. ... felix

Newboy
06-25-2005, 09:13 AM
I made some of that, before I started useing the Felix lube. It was not as good as the bought stuff (but I believe the Felix lube is).

It is good to use if you are shooting in a match with other people shooting close by. When you fire, it will fill the air with little "spider web" things from the case lube. It really screws up the other shooters. Just one of my little "secrets".

utk
06-25-2005, 03:29 PM
Instead of RCBS Case Lube#1 you can use STP Oil Treatment

Urban

buck1
06-27-2005, 02:14 AM
I made some of that WO/ the case lube. It made a fair flux.....Buck