PDA

View Full Version : Remmington Primers Too Small.

BulletFactory
01-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Have you guys had this problem too?

The 5 1/2 primers, (small pistol), seem to be too small. Many felt too light going in, and could be pushed back out with a tiny allen wrench. I had over 25 out of a hundred failures in a box. Took those same cases, and loaded them with Winchesters, and had only 6 that were too lose. when the primers can be pushed back out of the pocket is when i discard the case. I had the same problem last year when I tried them, so I know it wasn't just a bad batch.

I'm never buying remmington again.

GBertolet
01-28-2012, 05:13 PM
I had that same problem also. Could of been my cases, but Federal primers fit snugly. I now avoid Remington pistol primers when possible, to avoid a repeat.

HangFireW8
01-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Took those same cases, and loaded them with Winchesters, and had only 6 that were too lose.

If as many as six were also loose with another brand of primers, it would indicate that this batch of brass has primer pocket expansion and its time to retire them.

HF

BulletFactory
01-29-2012, 01:04 AM
Yep. That's where I call them done. I check each primer by trying to push it back out. If it comes out, it gets squished.

shooterg
02-09-2012, 07:03 PM
YMMV - but to me the Wolf primers seem a bit bigger - maybe get a few more loads out of a particular brass lot by trying them.

fredj338
02-09-2012, 09:02 PM
I've found ALL of Rem primers very slightly smaller than most. Fine for me, I use them in certain brass that has tight primer pockets (RWS). If other primers are loose in your brass cases, they need to be tossed, they are unsafe. Let meguess, Federal cases?

beagle
02-09-2012, 11:18 PM
I've only had that problem with some 9mm cases. Some of my loads are a bit warm and cases don't tend to last too long and this is an indication that they're ready for crushing and the scrap barrel.

I use the push test also. If I can push it out by hand with a pin punch it's ready for scrap.

Other that that, the RPs have done all right with me. But, I'm like a wino with primers, I'll consume almost any brand I can get reasonably./beagle