PDA

View Full Version : Got some goodies today

Ohio Rusty
03-11-2007, 07:51 PM
I decided to visit a buddy that used to shoot and reload. On the way I thought I'd stop by a local tire shop and look around the parking lot for any wheel weights since the place was closed. As luck would have it, the owner was at the store. I introduced myself and inquired about wheel weights. He let me fill a large coffee can full !!
Continued on to my friends house. While there he geve me a bunch of mixed brass ... 1000 38 specials, 40 deprimed 30-30's, 18 .44 mags, and a couple of other odd ball cases. Man o' man I'm happy for the 38's as now I have brass for several years of shooting. I won't use the once fired 30-30's or the 44 mag cases as I don't have firearms in those calibers. He also gave me about 800 hard cast button nosed wad cutters all lubed and ready for those .38 special cases. (It's nice to have friends like that ....) As soon as the weather starts getting warmer, I'll start casting and reloading sessions. Right now I'll start getting all those 38's tumbled, cleaned and deprimed. Sure was a pretty good Sunday, and it didn't snow or rain .... a plus for cold soggy Ohio .....
Ohio Rusty

pumpguy
03-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Rusty,
I have lots of once fired 38s and I do not shoot them. I do have a 30-30. PM me if you want to do some sort of a trade. What are your odd balls?

Ohio Rusty
03-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Pm sent to Pumpguy on the 30-30's. I'd swap the 18 once fired .44 magnum shells for the same in .44 special if anyone is interested.
Thanx .........
Ohio Rusty

BigSlick
03-12-2007, 06:02 AM
PM sent re 44 Special swap
________
GS400E (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_GS400E)

Ohio Rusty
03-12-2007, 09:05 AM
the 30-30's and 44 mag's have been spoken for. I looked thru my coffee can of wheel weights last night and found one iron one and no zincs so far. I know it's not a five gallon pail, but it's better than nothing !! I do have a question about the zinc weights since I haven't come across one before. I assume they are much harder than lead? I checked the weights by slicing the edge with a knife. It slices off a sliver of lead pretty easily. If I do that to a zinc weight, will the knife not slice into it?
Thanx ........
Ohio Rusty

Drifter
03-12-2007, 07:45 PM
When you smelt your wheel weights keep your temp. around 600* to 650* and the zink wheel weights won't melt, then you can skim them out of your melt. I smelted about 125 lbs. today and found that I missed a couple when I went through them and it was just a matter of skimming them them of the top of the melt along with the clips. As long as you keep your temp down the zink wheel weights won't melt and will float, zink melts around 780* I think (that's close).

Drifter

Ohio Rusty
03-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanx Drifter. I guess I should have asked how you can tell if one is made of zinc before you melt the lead. It would save some hassles if you could cull them first before they hit the pot. I'll have to get a lead thermometer. Right now I have to depend on the heat dial on my LEE pot.
Ohio Rusty

jb12k
03-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Rusty-You really should find a different way to smelt. All the crud can't be good for your Lee pot. Look around the forum, and you will find many ideas and recomendations on cheap smelting equipment. Best to put nice clean ingots in your casting pot!

jb12k

Ed Barrett
03-13-2007, 05:06 PM
When you get brass that you don't have a gun to fit, you buy a new gun and dies, it's one of the rules here.

monadnock#5
03-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Rusty, Pick up a pair of sheet metal snips with the compound leverage handles, the ones they sell cheap at the dollar store (made in china). Good wheel weights will cut easily, junk everything else.
You might also consider ordering them from Harbor Freight along with a turkey fryer. jb12k is right on, smelting in your casting pot will cause nothing but grief.

Ken

Drifter
03-13-2007, 07:30 PM
All of the zinc weights I've found so far have been riveted on.
Drifter

IcerUSA
03-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Also I beleive that if you use a magnet the zink ww will stick to it, not just the clip like the lead ones do. :drinks:

floodgate
03-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Ed:

Well, yesterday a buddy passed me (for a ridiculously low price) a set of Redfield "Olympic" sights, front and rear, with the full unopened packet of inserts; now I've gotta find a quality .22 target-type rifle to go under them.

floodgate

madcaster
03-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Floodgate,
Get ya a Kimber of Oregon and be forever happy and satisfied!
Jeff.

Dale53
03-14-2007, 12:16 AM
Actually, the H&R Military Model 12 or the Commercial version, Model 5200, is a better value than the Kimber. The Model 12 is a bit utilitarian but has excellent metal work and a fine trigger fully adjustable to 1.0 lb, minimum. The commercial model is a VERY handsome piece. I have both and used to have a Kimber of Oregon .22 match rifle. Frankly, I much prefer the H&R's (they shoot just as well and have a better trigger). The H&R's also have NO problems with ejection, which is more than I can say for the KImbers.

However, I bought two of the Kimber sporters for my two sons. They were in their last year of college it was apparent that it would be some time before they could afford a nice sporter. They both love those rifles and they shoot REALLY well. They still occasionally may have a problem with ejection, but it is not as serious as my match rifle, was.

A couple of friends got decent H&R's for a very realistic price from the DCM recently. They are being drilled and tapped for modern scope mounts as we speak (they come drilled for "target" scope blocks). I have a small collection of small bore target rifles and the H&R's, on average, will shoot with the best.

Dale53

Ricochet
03-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Also I beleive that if you use a magnet the zink ww will stick to it, not just the clip like the lead ones do. :drinks:
Zinc isn't magnetic. But there are steel wheelweights.