PDA

View Full Version : Lead stalagmites!

jabilli
01-27-2012, 10:47 PM
I was feeling artsy fartsy yesterday and made this time lapse of the dripping lead. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPf9YlCIwhA&list=UUxwtur2W82khvm3hCYWdydQ&index=1&feature=plcp

44man
01-28-2012, 03:23 PM
How are you going to size it? :mrgreen:
You do know they sell booze, with that kind of drip, it would be a better waste of time. :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

BossHoss
01-28-2012, 06:10 PM
this is why i hate youtube...lol.

L1A1Rocker
01-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Another satisfied Lee customer.

1Shirt
02-02-2012, 11:16 AM
It's a shame it isn't silver!
1Shirt!:coffee:

snuffy
02-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Whats up with that U-tube video. Can't see the pic!

Another satisfied Lee customer.

Is that the point of this, a leaking lee pot? Like I said, I can't see the whole video, no telling where the lead is coming from. That's fixable at little if any cost.

beagle
02-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Stalagmited...stalagtites........

I was hunting quail with a friend on Ft Bragg Military Reservation back in the 60s and we ran across this old range where loads of .45 had been fired (submachine gun or .45). Now it was abandoned and I walked by this huge old pine and saw resin so I walked over to get a piece to chew (redneck chewing gum). Got to looking and there were lead stalagmites and stalagties all aroun the front of the tree toward the road.

Looking closer in the rotted and burned area and it was a solid mass of .45 ball slugs up to about 12 feet. Recently, a fire had burned through, ignited the resin and melted the lead. Some were 4" in daimeter. Always kept in my mind the location to go back with an axe and sledhammer and harvest some of that bounty but never did./beagle

stubshaft
02-02-2012, 04:47 PM
When I used to use a Lee bottom pour I had often wondered what would happen if I sold those lead "sculptures" on flea bay.

Blammer
02-02-2012, 05:49 PM
stub, just claim you see the face of "someone important" in it and it'll sell for a bunch o money.

jabilli
04-23-2012, 03:15 AM
Been a little while since I've logged in :-p

@44man lol , I do like to have a couple while sitting there doing the repetitive and monotonous task of casting/ making ammo- but Only a few as it is not only dangerous, the quality of ammo is reduced.

@BossHoss Fair enough :-p

@1shirt - You know, it probably would sell if I did it with Silver. Pretty sure SOMEONE would buy one but I wouldn't expect more than a couple bucks. I took one that I purposely made and gave it to my old man- He's got it on his desk.

@Blammer- A few good ideas- The pope, Virgin Guadalupe, Obama, Jay Leno, ect ect lol As soon as I figure out how to do it. lol

@Beagle- Wow that's super cool, I'm sure that would be a rare phenomenon, you really should go find that.

@Everyone- Yeah this was a Lee 10 LB'er This video is me recording a time lapse of I think about 15 minutes (I forget exactly how long...maybe just 10) after I rigged the Pot to drip very quickly. If you look carefully you can see the dripping slows a couple times, so I very lightly bumped the actuating rod and you can see a really fast stream immediately after.

Anyone know a good way to cut down on the dripping? I do know how to set the actuating rod so it doesn't drip, but then after casting a few bullets, the movement starts to cause a leak. I will take a paperclip from time to time and ream out the nozzle. Thus far the best method I've found is just setting the stalagmite just a little closer to the user so the spatter will shoot in a different direction.

Sasquatch-1
04-23-2012, 06:03 AM
It kind of reminds me of the alien that grows in my lava lamp when it is warming up. :veryconfu